Does anyone listen to Linn Radio?

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

Peter Lanky

Does anyone listen to Linn Radio?

Post by Peter Lanky »

I have been listening to Linn Radio sparingly for the last 6 years or so since I bought my first streamer. I have always liked the mix of classical, jazz and Celtic on the channel, never knowing what is coming next. However now I have bought an internet radio, I can listen to this channel in the kitchen while dining. The motivation for acquiring this radio was to put and end to the excessive repetition of songs on the stations I previously listened to, namely 'Radio Vaughan-Williams' (Classic FM) and 'Radio Led Zeppelin' (Planet Rock).

However I can't help thinking I have now tuned into 'Radio Barb Jungr'. We noticed a couple of days back the regularity of her songs being played, but yesterday the same song within a few hours and today just while eating my lunch, 3 out of 4 songs together and 4 overall in about 25 minutes. Surely with the significant catalogue held by Linn, we perhaps don't need quite so much Barb Jungr on the playlist, as I'm beginning the feel the radio is preaching to me.

I have put this to Linn, to be told that Linn Radio is completely random with no human intervention and quite amazingly, their representative has reached the conclusion that there is not an excessive amount of Barb Jungr being played, despite me stating that after 3 days listening have given me this artist between one in every 3 or 4 plays during the 3 half hour periods I have listened, possibly 8-10 plays over an hour and a half.

Do others listen to Linn Radio, and if so have you observed anything similar, or am I making all this up, as Linn seems to be inferring?
KDS/3 - 2 x Tundra Mono - Graham Audio LS5/9f
Donald

Re: Does anyone listen to Linn Radio?

Post by Donald »

Couldn't agree more Peter - my own take on this and why I turned off Linn Jazz in particular is that it had become Radio Claire Martin, a second rate club singer in my opinion, along with the equally tedious Joe Stilgoe!

Risking Moderation by Fredrik (it's your Forum and I respect that) I posted many times on the Linn Forum regarding the paucity of modern Jazz recordings on the Linn Records label - look at what ACT, ECM, Rune Grammofon, Gearbox Records, Edition Records and countless other labels are doing these days.
LP12/Kore/T2/Akito/Adikt/L4|Akurate DSM|Akurate Exaktbox 10|2 x Akurate 4200/1|Keilidhs
Peter Lanky

Post by Peter Lanky »

Donald wrote:Couldn't agree more Peter - my own take on this and why I turned off Linn Jazz in particular is that it had become Radio Claire Martin . . .
I know where you're coming from, though surprisingly I've not heard a single Claire Martin since buying the radio last weekend. Just now they managed a whole 35 minutes without a BJ song, which at least is a step in the right direction.

If only I could locate that elusive station that has no adverts, no repetition and broadcasts in higher than 128kbps.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Have you tried Radio Paradise and P2 Världen?

P2 probably has the wider repertoire with no repeats and RP plays some great music, but because listeners can vote for their favourites, there is a bit of repetition.
Peter Lanky

Post by Peter Lanky »

Spannko wrote:Have you tried Radio Paradise and P2 Världen?.
I've just set these up as favourites, so I'll give them a try.
Donald

Post by Donald »

And it's a +1 from me for Radio Paradise.
LP12/Kore/T2/Akito/Adikt/L4|Akurate DSM|Akurate Exaktbox 10|2 x Akurate 4200/1|Keilidhs
kali

Post by kali »

No, not anymore. My favorits are Audiophile Jazz and Audiophile Lounge, streaming with 320 Kbps, from Audiophile Audition Greece http://stream.psychomed.gr.
They stream Baroque, Classical, Rock-Blues and Xtreme as well with 320 Kbps.
Enjoy...
Peter Lanky

Post by Peter Lanky »

Thanks everyone. I've taken all those on board, and I can say goodbye to Linn Radio as well as Radio Vaughan Williams and Radio Led Zeppelin. Shame that P2 doesn't show tags.

Do you know of a good progressive rock station? I have listened to Morow, which plays good music but only @ 128kbps. Acceptable on the internet radio but sadly lacking through the Klimax.