Playlist 2 - Haven't Heard it in Ages

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Playlist 2 - Haven't Heard it in Ages

Post by Charlie1 »

Thought we could do with a thread dedicated to forgotten gems and 'old stuff' generally as the other music thread tends to focus on new releases. Being a vinyl listener, I end up collecting lots of old bargains rather than buying new releases so much.

Inspired by Fredrick's recent mention of Prince's 'Alphabet St' (gets surprisingly little air play in the UK), I fancied some 80s pop last night and happened across Tears For Fears debut 'The Hurting'. I Hadn't played this in many years and really enjoyed it. A very strong collection of songs and not a dud track (well OK, maybe track 9). Its definitely one for late at night as it's quite low key.

Another 80s forgotten gem is the single 'The First Picture of You' by The Lotus Eaters, although to be fair this does get some air play on UK radio now - which kind of spoils it for me!

Been enjoying Neil Young's 'Decade' triple LP of late, especially tracks 'Cowgirl in the Sand' and 'Cortez the Killer' which I don't have on their original albums. Cortez is such a hauntingly powerful song I think. You can't beat a bit of Neil!

Also been exploring Bowie's 'Low' and Husker Du albums. The latter needs some serious 'high volume' air time at home (rare commodity nowadays) to best appreciate, but it's got potential. Pixies and Nirvana must have been influenced by these guys - they seem well ahead of their time.

There is so much music waiting to be played I don't know that I'll ever get through it all. Still, better that way than a drought.
SaltyDog
Very active member
Very active member

Post by SaltyDog »

I have been enjoying one of the great features of my Akurate DS lately.

I've created smart playlist in mediamonkey that are genre based. I've set Twonky to shuffle my playlist. I end up listening to randomly organized songs from my collection that I don't think I would normally choose. I have found this to be so satisfying that this has become the norm lately.

The DS's have a 1000 song limit, but with the shuffle all songs in a playlist have (AFAIK) an equal chance of getting to the DS.

I now wonder how much just the choosing what to play influences my "favorites". I think coming home and just pressing the play button is now my favorite.

As for different moods, I find that the genres are good for matching moods. I choose the genre and let the computer work for me.

Most of my recent whole album listening is of newly purchased music.

By the way what do you think of "The Poems". One of my favorite new finds.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

A great album I hadnt listened to for a while was a Big Issue (magazine sold by the homeless) compilation called Foundations released in the 90's best deacade for music since the 60's! for me anyway :)Lets not start that again... I suppose the 1770's werent too bad.
orbital,a guy called gerald,808 state ,Fluke,underworld etc great thing about the album is all the tracks have a similar feel and all the profit and royalty go to the big issue.

http://www.discogs.com/release/54701

Yes Charlie Bowies Low is great Eno did a fine job at the top of his game have you got 'another green world'
What I love about playing Albums that havent been on the deck for years is that you are also listening to say 10 years of uprade
I know that tune
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Lego wrote:have you got 'another green world'
Yes, on CD :oops: It's just not right and could never hear the music if you know what I mean. I do need to get it on vinyl. Another one to add to the list. Isn't the one about jets or airports or planes or something supposed to be quite good also?
Lego wrote:What I love about playing Albums that havent been on the deck for years is that you are also listening to say 10 years of uprade
Absolutely! Listened to Zep's Houses of the Holy recently and for the first time in many years - sounded VERY different to the last time! Very open, clear, clean and tuneful.
Lego wrote:A great album I hadnt listened to for a while was a Big Issue (magazine sold by the homeless) compilation called Foundations released in the 90's best deacade for music since the 60's!
I see Underworld on the list - saw them at Brixton Academy a few years ago, but that's about the extent of my experience with that type of music - Dubnobasswithmyheadman!
Last edited by Charlie1 on 2008-11-27 09:15, edited 1 time in total.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Yes Charlie music for airports ,on land etc all that ambient stuff I wouldnae bother especially on vinyl; clicks and pops even on lp12 is really anoying when there is hardly any sound; cd would be better and on headphones although any extraneous sounds ,like a car going past, your mobile going off(must admit the last time I listened there were no mobiles) etc always sounds part of the music.Beyond the science is also good.
I know that tune
mazganistan

Grunge

Post by mazganistan »

...is breathing again in our house since a few days - the 8 year old daughter thinks Nirvana's "Nevermind" is the hottest thing since Amy Diamond..... whew - things turn fast.

Well... 1991 may seem ages ago, but speaking the truth it's an album with a lot of great songs. What was it - grunge? Really, what defined grunge... apart from the checked shirts. and the bands being from Seattle...? Is it in the sound... or the lyrics? Wot?

Maz/Alive and Kikkin :D

Edit: Checkered, damn, not checked. BIG difference, heh.
Last edited by mazganistan on 2008-11-29 00:38, edited 1 time in total.
mazganistan

Hector Zazou

Post by mazganistan »

Anyone heard of him? I just listened to one of his albums TODAY (and I think last week and the week before that) and inspired by this thread (thinking I'm old people and should look up my old sources of bliss) I found out he just died this year, in September. Ow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hector_Zazou

He had lots of interesting projects... spanning different music genres. What I've listened to is the 1992 "Sahara Blue" - commemorating Arthur Rimbaud's 100th birthday, and "Songs of the cold seas" from 1994, which contains music from around the Nordic countries (more information on the Wiki link above).

If you're somewhat interested in "art music" you'd like this!

edit - spellcheck wizard :L
Last edited by mazganistan on 2008-11-28 23:37, edited 1 time in total.
mazganistan

Post by mazganistan »

Underworld. Orbital. Fluke... yep I heard them and am almost certain I heard 2/3's of them at some occasion in the Roskilde Festival (White Tent) somewhere between 1994 and 1996.... The white tent was a beautiful place :).

I will share with you that I did "supa bort" (too much Turkish Pepper shots with a lot of good friends) Jeff Buckley at the Roskilde festival in (was it?) 1995. :cry: And he drowned the year after.

Jeff Buckley was an avid fan of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan. Check 'im out!
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

I actually did "supa bort" a whole Hutsfredsfestival. I have some faint fragmental memories of Stereo MC:s. Haven't heard them since...