Azazello's system

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Azazello's system

Post by Azazello »

I currently play my records on an all Linn- system containing: LP12 (cirkus-Lingo-Akito-Adikt) - Kairn (early spec, but updated with Slimline power supply) - 5125 - (active) Ninka.

I'm happy with the sound (and the music), Lejonklou himself has installed it (what a difference it made). But I think I have spent too much money on the playback section. I'm planning on buying an 2:nd hand Ekos very soon, and I will probably exchange the Karin for a Slipsik - ? combination after that. Or maybe I'll buy a Majik control instead, it depends on my funds and Slipsik:s performance. After that, I will look at a Keel (or some similar product) or an exchange of the 5125 to two 2250.

EDIT:

LP12/Lingo2/Ekos2/Adikt - Lejonklou Slipsik - Bonnec Timpano - 5125 - (Active) Ninkas.
Last edited by Azazello on 2007-08-28 20:22, edited 1 time in total.
jajo

Re: My system

Post by jajo »

Azazello wrote:After that, I will look at a Keel (or some similar product) or an exchange of the 5125 to two 2250.
I am in the same situation, I want to upgrade my LP12 since my DVD/CD-playback source has gotten too much financial attention lately... I still play more vinyl than CD.

Do you think upgrading to a used Ekos will match the Keel-upgrade if you look at gained performance per dollar? Or maybe you start with Ekos because you know you will get both? ;)

/ jajo
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

jajo wrote:I am in the same situation, I want to upgrade my LP12 since my DVD/CD-playback source has gotten too much financial attention lately... I still play more vinyl than CD.

Do you think upgrading to a used Ekos will match the Keel-upgrade if you look at gained performance per dollar? Or maybe you start with Ekos because you know you will get both? ;)

/ jajo
I don't know about the performance of Keel-Akito vs. Cirkus-Ekos. Most likely the Keel system would be better (?). But I do know how good the Ekos is. I have heard LP12 sounding magically good with relatively modest amps and speakers many times, but Ekos has always been involved. When I think about it it strikes me as really stupid of me to spend all the money on 5125 and Ninkas before buying an Ekos.

Another issue is the price of the Keel. I must say that I don't feel much sympathy for Linn when they charge so much for a machined piece of aluminium. I believe that there will be copies of Keel out there sooner then they think and I will not feel a bit sorry for Linn when I buy a sub chassis with the same performance as Keel at a third of the price.

Regards
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

Azazello wrote:When I think about it it strikes me as really stupid of me to spend all the money on 5125 and Ninkas before buying an Ekos.
This (smart) "source first" thinking makes me remember when a friend and I each had well installed Linn systems, he had Karik/Numerik/Kairn/3xKlout/Keltik and I had only Karik/Kairn/LK280/Index II. Still we both agreed my system played better music. Reason? I had a new Karik with "Slimline SMPS" and he had the old transformer PS in his Karik/Numerik. Simply source first!
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Linnofil wrote: He had Karik/Numerik/Kairn/3xKlout/Keltik and I had only Karik/Kairn/LK280/Index II. Still we both agreed my system played better music. Reason? I had a new Karik with "Slimline SMPS" and he had the old transformer PS in his Karik/Numerik. Simply source first!
I can imagine that very easy. I bought the loudspeakers when I separated from my old girlfriend (I left her my Tukans) and the power amp as a result of a strange (not illegal though) insurance deal so it was not just bad planning (in hifi terms :roll: ) that got me here. I've been thinking about selling the 5125 - Ninka and replace them with LK100 - Keilidh to finance an Ekos, but since I got my new job :D I don't have to do that anymore.
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

Azazello wrote:I've been thinking about selling ... to finance an Ekos, but since I got my new job :D I don't have to do that anymore.
Sounds like a good job. Congratulations! If you wait 6 months I think a few Ekos 2 should show up on the used market. It will make the decision easier!
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Linnofil wrote:Sounds like a good job. Congratulations! If you wait 6 months I think a few Ekos 2 should show up on the used market. It will make the decision easier!
Thank's :D

I'm not buying a new Ekos, the job is not that good ;) I have snatched one of the first Ekos SE - byers 2:nd hand Ekos 2.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

I have upgraded my system quite a lot since my last post in this thread. Besides the Ekos2 I have sold the Kairn and bought a Slipsik and a Bonnec Timpano (line-only version). I used the Ekos with the Kairn for a few days only so I it is safe for me to say that Slipsik and Timpano is by a wide margin better than Kairn.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

I'm now planning to sell some of the system to finance a Keel. It seems that my "home made" project won't happen in quite some time so I guess I have to bite the sour apple (don't knows if that saying works in English?) and pay the price.

Anyway. I'm trying to sell the 5125, the cards and the Ninkas. They will be replaced with a LK100 (or maybe LK280) and a pair of Index Plus standing on my attic.

I have also found a used Trioka at a very reasonable price, the seller said it's still working (according to the dealer who checked it) and I have no reason to doubt him. If I get my hands on a good MC preamp (Linto) it will replace my Adikt.

Thats what I call source first! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Azazello on 2007-08-29 06:44, edited 1 time in total.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Almost top spec LP12 feeding a pair of Index Plus?

Cool...
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

lejonklou wrote:Almost top spec LP12 feeding a pair of Index Plus?

Cool...
Now that's what I call a hierarchically correct system. Very cool! I'd go with the LK280 if you can - I always loved that amp.
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

Another "real" source-first setup:

http://www.drmh.de/drmh1/230.jpg

It's a top-spec LP12 (well, at least at that time, means: Lingo, Ekos2, Arkiv2, Linto), Teac CR-H100 (a CD receiver for around $250) and Linn Sekrits (on stands).

And we had real fun with that!

Axel
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

ThomasOK wrote:Now that's what I call a hierarchically correct system. Very cool! I'd go with the LK280 if you can - I always loved that amp.
LK280 is quite difficult to find here in Sweden and today I got my hands on a LK100 at a very good price so unfortunately I wont follow your advice :(
teatime

Post by teatime »

Azazello wrote:
ThomasOK wrote:Now that's what I call a hierarchically correct system. Very cool! I'd go with the LK280 if you can - I always loved that amp.
LK280 is quite difficult to find here in Sweden and today I got my hands on a LK100 at a very good price so unfortunately I wont follow your advice :(
The LK280 was cool, but it was made in the 80's! Any reasonably recent LK100 will beat it, so don't be sorry about your purchase. :)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

teatime wrote:
Azazello wrote:
The LK280 was cool, but it was made in the 80's! Any reasonably recent LK100 will beat it, so don't be sorry about your purchase. :)
The Isobariks in my home theater were also made in the 1980s and they still smoke many of the pricier speakers out there! The LK100 is a fine amp and certainly nothing to feel bad about but I've heard the LK280 compared to a later LK100 and I'd take the LK280.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Regarding the LK100, its design was hardly changed at all during its lifetime. One component that did change rather early, though, was the transformer. A Scottish Holden&Fisher was replaced with an Irish Talema. The scottish transformer was clearly better.

Since some capacitors dry out, a late circuit board might be in better shape than an old one. So, to get the best possible LK100 one should take a very late board (and change those dreadful BFA's to banana sockets!) and partner it with an old H&F transformer.

[The same procedure also applies to the Ikemi - the earliest power supply with the latest audio board and transport equals the best possible machine.]

Last time I compared these two amps I found the LK100 to be a bit more alert and musical but the LK280 felt more powerful and "nice sounding". Don't know of what age they were.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

ThomasOK wrote:Now that's what I call a hierarchically correct system. Very cool!
Indeeeeed!
Source first ROCK :mrgreen:
I once had a top spec LP12 into amp/speakers for totally 500USD. VERY fun system.

Great picture sommerfee :wink:
It's all about musical understanding!
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Well, I'm not sorry about the LK100, it was a bargain. :) But I don't think I have ever heard a LK280 and this is my third LK100 and that feels kind of boring...
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

lejonklou wrote:Regarding the LK100, its design was hardly changed at all during its lifetime. One component that did change rather early, though, was the transformer. A Scottish Holden&Fisher was replaced with an Irish Talema. The scottish transformer was clearly better.

Since some capacitors dry out, a late circuit board might be in better shape than an old one. So, to get the best possible LK100 one should take a very late board (and change those dreadful BFA's to banana sockets!) and partner it with an old H&F transformer.

[The same procedure also applies to the Ikemi - the earliest power supply with the latest audio board and transport equals the best possible machine.]

Last time I compared these two amps I found the LK100 to be a bit more alert and musical but the LK280 felt more powerful and "nice sounding". Don't know of what age they were.
Boy Fredrik, you have an amazing amount of detailed information on these products! I'd love to get my hands on the notebooks where you have all this info stored. So now I have to go out and find an old power supply for my Ikemi :( - a very new unit as it was ordered on the last day orders were accepted. What does this older power supply look like? Any identifying marks?

I suppose everyone thinks I should get an Akurate CD but it doesn't fit in my Quardaspire Q4 midi rack. And since I listen to 98% vinyl I have a hard time justifying putting that much money into something I won't use much. Besides, I think I'd like to wait and see what Linn has cooked up with these network DACs - after all Music Lover and I are both waiting for our low cost in an LK box version! :wink:
Pediatrik

Post by Pediatrik »

ThomasOK wrote:What does this older power supply look like? Any identifying marks?
You can identify it with the magic combination of two letters and two digits; CD12! :D
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

ThomasOK wrote:Besides, I think I'd like to wait and see what Linn has cooked up with these network DACs - after all Music Lover and I are both waiting for our low cost in an LK box version! :wink:
Yes for SURE.

But have you seen the picture and price for Akurate music server?
It's like a miniKivor (still 19") and it cost 5k Sterling. :|
I hope the premium over Akurate CD is justifed due to it's musicality.

So I guess you can continue searching for a CD12 power supply. My old Ikemi had such PSU... :wink:
It's all about musical understanding!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Pediatrik wrote:You can identify it with the magic combination of two letters and two digits; CD12! :D
Yes, the first Ikemis had a Slimline Brilliant that was marked /CD12 while the Genkis had one that was marked /G.

After a year or two, both players got the /G version. It was probably a way to reduce costs as that Slimline lacked some components that were in the /CD12 version.

The main board of the Ikemi was improved, however, so the newer Ikemis still sounded better than the old ones. But that /CD12 power supply had a special, solid, sound to it. If you can find one to put in your new Ikemi, you will probably be delighted with the result.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

I have now downgraded the system with LK100 instead of 5125, switching between Ninka and Index. My records are still good, but the sound is sooo much worse... :|
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Why the downgrade, Azazello?

Need money or is it part of a clever plan...?
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

lejonklou wrote:Why the downgrade, Azazello?

Need money or is it part of a clever plan...?
How is your memory Fredrik? Maybee you should check it up somwehre? ;)