Nicce12's system

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

nicce12

Nicce12's system

Post by nicce12 »

Hello Music lovers,

I am a Swedish relapsing HiFi nut, back in the 80's (the previous millennium) I discovered Linn's approach to HiFi and I was hooked right away. Starting with a used Linn Axis I slowly expanded my system via Intek, to Pretek+Powertek, Wakonda, Mimik, until I had a pre-cirkus Lp12 / basic-plus with a K9 + Karik II feeding a Kairn with a LK100 and a set of Tukans (that replaced a set of Briks!). Then life (cars, she-who-must-be-obeyed, homes, kids) intervened and my HiFi system stagnated, still used occasionally but sparsely.

During the last winter I got some time to use my system some more and I realised that my Kairn had developed reading issues and soon it stopped playing CD's, that meant that the LP12 suddenly got some more use and it became clear that the K9 was very tired. After approval from management a new Adikt was installed and as soon as I started to burn it in, my Karik promptly decided to blow the fuse after 5-10 minutes use...

Thanks to my understanding Linn dealer here in Stockholm we managed to source a Exotik by picking parts from 3 old units that had developed problems, unfortunately without phono card. To get some music over the Christmas holiday I found a Linn Kudos on ebay so we could have sound while my dealer converted an old broken LK1 to service as MM phono amplifier.

During one of my frequent visits to the dealer she-who-must-be-obeyed trotted along and we had the Majik DS player demoed on a pair of passive 109's that left us quite impressed. My wife indicated that the DS technology would be a reasonable line of investment (I recall the wording as something like "This would be much smarter to waste money on then your car stuff"). By chance I found a Sneaky DS on ebay and discovered the wonderful world of streaming music. Now dependent on my daily Ebay search-fix I soon netted a set of Aktive cards for the Tukan and a very early LK100 for reasonable price - an impressive improvement of sound quality per Swedish Krona.

Listening to Exakt at the dealer and the difference it could do on Majik level I realised that Exakt was the direction I wanted to go - and that a Majik DSM+Majik Exaktbox vs an Akurate Exakt DSM + Akurate Exaktbox (6 channels) and retaining my LK100's was pretty close in price and the Akurate stuff should be better even with Lk100's (in theory). Before I had time to audit that, I found a 10 channel Exaktbox on Ebay for the same priice as a new 6 channel and took a quick decision - AEDSM and Akurate Exaktbox was the next step.

So, now I have an LP12, pre-cirkus with Adikt on a Basik-plus; a Kudos; AEDSM and Akurate Exaktbox 10 connected with silver cables to my LK100's and on the other end of my K20's, my old Tukan (with the upgraded 038 treble). Since Tukan has not been Exakt:ed I have to pretend that I have Katan's to configure the Exaktbox. It sounds quite good, but I am afraid the the new sound quality means that I play at sound levels that pushes the Tukan to their limit... :)
I have yet to start with space optimization, I am playing a bit with tune demoing the speaker positioning while I am setting up an appointment with my dealer for a home visit and optimization of the space optimization settings.

For the future I am pondering a cirkus upgrade (there seem to be a price increase coming up) and a used Lingo upgrade for my LP12 - and long term I would like to exchange my Tukan's to a floor standing speaker, a used 242 seem to be a value proposition but I am keeping an eye on the price development on passive Akubariks. Since both speakers would require an awful number of amplifier channels I concluded that a set of used AV5125's has a good channels/per money ratio.
Lately I have though started to be annoyed with that I have to walk over to the LK100's to switch them on and off so potentially I will go for a AV5125 to increase convince and reduce box-count (an important WAF metrics).

If I can get the pictures to load you can see my Lk1 in there, I forgot to ask my dealer to switch the AEDSM to MM, this has now been fixed.

Edit: Dropbox link to album:
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/84t9p5ui77xl ... gSWwJQwZTa

Best Regards, Niclas
LP12 (Lingo1, Ekos, Adikt)
AEDSM -> A. Exaktbox-10 -> Linn AV5125*2 -> Tukan
Nature

Re: Nicce12's system

Post by Nature »

I like your stereo and the room that you have it in.
Linn will someday release profiles for Tukan.
Olskool

Post by Olskool »

Hello Nicce12, sounds like an interesting return back to vinyl as well as getting your system back in order while upgrading it too. I enjoyed your story of the journey. Sounds like "one who must be obeyed" :) knows how to keep harmony in her kingdom, err. Queendom, by letting you "waste" money in very strategic ways. At least it seems to work to keep you off the streets and happy to be near her! ROTFLMAO. I like your system rack and room as well. Who makes the rack, is it HRS? Thanks for sharing!

Olskool
nicce12

Post by nicce12 »

Olskool wrote:Hello Nicce12, sounds like an interesting return back to vinyl as well as getting your system back in order while upgrading it too. I enjoyed your story of the journey. Sounds like "one who must be obeyed" :) knows how to keep harmony in her kingdom, err. Queendom, by letting you "waste" money in very strategic ways. At least it seems to work to keep you off the streets and happy to be near her! ROTFLMAO. I like your system rack and room as well. Who makes the rack, is it HRS? Thanks for sharing!

Olskool
Thanks!
I bought the rack from a now defunct Linn dealer in the north of Sweden (Umeå) in the beginning of the 90's - the problem is that I have totally forgotten the name of the manufacturer!
I think it might have been a Swedish company and I recall that it was possible to mix different width's, both double and half width, it is quite sturdy and has served me well. If I could figure out the brand I would try to find more of it since some equipment now resides on the floor...

Cheers, Niclas
nicce12

Post by nicce12 »

Nature wrote:I like your stereo and the room that you have it in.
Linn will someday release profiles for Tukan.
Thanks!
Yes, I mailed the Linn customer service and they promised that they are working on it - we shall see if they beat my upgrade fever or not... :)

Cheers, Niclas
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

nicce12 wrote:For the future I am pondering a cirkus upgrade (there seem to be a price increase coming up) and a used Lingo upgrade for my LP12
Thanks for sharing your journey with us. Can't argue against Cirkus upgrade. And Lingo 2 after that, funds permitting. Make sure it's serial 656968 onwards otherwise it's just a Lingo 1 in the wider casework.
stefan

Post by stefan »

nicce12 wrote:........
I bought the rack from a now defunct Linn dealer in the north of Sweden (Umeå) in the beginning of the 90's - the problem is that I have totally forgotten the name of the manufacturer!
I think it might have been a Swedish company and I recall that it was possible to mix different width's, both double and half width, it is quite sturdy and has served me well. If I could figure out the brand I would try to find more of it since some equipment now resides on the floor...

Cheers, Niclas
The name was WOG, swedish made. Yes, I remember that dealer. Their homepage showed a number of customer system in pictures. Top CD12-based system on WOG racks with Ninkas. This was likely early 00's. Found it a bit weird, his opinions seemed to be that Ninka was the best speaker available/ever made. Nice room and system BTW Niclas.
nicce12

Post by nicce12 »

stefan wrote:
The name was WOG, swedish made. Yes, I remember that dealer. Their homepage showed a number of customer system in pictures. Top CD12-based system on WOG racks with Ninkas. This was likely early 00's. Found it a bit weird, his opinions seemed to be that Ninka was the best speaker available/ever made. Nice room and system BTW Niclas.
Thanks Stefan - WOG it was! It seems that the factory is still around but stopped manufacturing HiFi and TV furniture when the flat TV's arrived...

Cheers, Niclas
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Maybe just as well, WOG is hardly a PC name to trade by, maybe get away with it in the 70's, but not these days! Lol
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.