What's the max you'd pay for a gig

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

Lego
Very active member
Very active member

What's the max you'd pay for a gig

Post by Lego »

Hi guys,I receive a text from a friend saying Tom Waites is on at Edinburgh;being spring I'd just bought another M Leica lens so i made my excuses out of town etc. so might not make it.He gets back to me saying forget it ;tickets are £75-95 :lol: That night I had an argument with a buddy saying there is no way I'd spend that amount on a gig with him saying
he would if he really liked the band etc.I might really like the band but the fact it cost nearly a £100 would put me off.What is your take on it what is your limit.Living artists only please.. :wink:
I know that tune
teatime

Post by teatime »

Tom Waits would probably be the artist I'd pay the most to see. I think he's only played Sweden once in the last 15 years. Including travel and lodging (it was 600km away) I probably ended up paying £100 back then (it was about 10 years ago, the ticket itself was maybe £50).

Neil Young played two concerts in Copenhagen recently. The tickets were over £100. Before I could even start agonizing over if I wanted to pay that much, both concerts were sold out!

I suspect many artists who have been around 30+ years will have enough fans to actually be able to fill a concert with only high paying seats.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

You're probably correct teatime as Tom says you can only buy 2 tickets at a time and your name must be printed on them with photographic proof taken along with you to the gig. :shock:Try and tout those tickets!
I know that tune
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hmm... I'd say it depends on how much money I have in my pocket. :lol:

There are some artists I would probably pay £100 for, IF it's a concert with a "private" touch to it and I get good seats. Tens of thousands of people at a stadium is less interesting than a small theatre concert IMHO.

I feel a problem with the old heroes is that their shape varies so much. I have seen Neil Young several times, and sometimes it's been brilliant and sometimes he's just played silly guitar solos forever - and I have wondered why I even liked this guy. I have never seen Van Morrison live, but when listening to his records I could at times give an arm and a leg if he came and played that song for me. Other times (mainly on the later albums) I feel like he's making a funny imitation of himself - and I wouldn't pay a cent to hear that kind of performance live.

I guess this variation is an integral part of live performances. But the fact that it might be disappointing does limit my willingness to pay a small fortune for a gig.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

It also comes down to location;A few years ago my wife and I (Applause) were in little Italy(NY) having something to eat.What next she asks; lets go and listen to some music ,I suggest The Blue Noteas its only a few blocks away.We get there and Ron Carter is on with a string section, standing room only; $20,which means your'e leaning against the bar and Ron is 10 feet away from you!?
I'm sure it would have been much more expensive if it was Lars and the boys doing their Jazz at the pawnshop thingy :lol:
I know that tune