Playlist

Where it all begins

Moderator: Staff

Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Lego wrote:..are you talking about the Stones Charlie ..?
That one went right over your head Charlie
I know that tune
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Was it Keith you had in mind, Lego?

Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Lego wrote:
Lego wrote:..are you talking about the Stones Charlie ..?
That one went right over your head Charlie
i get it now. It was so funny I had to lie down a few hours hence my delayed response :mrgreen:
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

lejonklou wrote:Was it Keith you had in mind, Lego?

The very one indeed Mr Lejonklou... :)
I know that tune
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

.Yeh,I know what you mean Charlie..maybe!
I know that tune
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Yesterday a friend dubbed me 'The King of Lounge', as I played him some cool tracks. I was surprised. I've never thought of myself as a Lounge Man.

"These days, people need it", he continued. "You should acknowledge that. Create a Loungetime!".

I haven't fully grasped what he meant by this, but somehow it just felt very right.

Loungetime, anyone?
Komri

Post by Komri »

Tell us about the cool trax! 8)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Lejonklou the Lounge Lizard!? :mrgreen:
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

lounge lizard

Post by anthony »

Lejonklou the lounge lizard
The live and kikkin electroniks wizard
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Not sure of the exact playlist, Komri, but these two were included:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDb6X7-Y6RY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwPeXsjhLRQ

Witty rhyme there, anthony. Not sure I'm perfectly comfortable with the lizard thing, though. From Wikipedia:

'The term Lounge Lizard is usually used to refer to lounge musicians, most often in a negative sense (as tacky, tasteless, etc).'

'A "lounge lizard" is typically depicted as a well-dressed man who frequents the establishments in which the rich gather with the intention of seducing a wealthy woman with his flattery and deceptive charm.'

:mrgreen:
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: lounge lizard

Post by ThomasOK »

anthony wrote:Lejonklou the lounge lizard
The live and kikkin electroniks wizard
Nobody else built on this?

Oh well, here goes:

Lejonklou the Lounge Lizard
The live and kikkin electronics wizard
Makes boxes with high musical appeal
For those of us who are less well-heeled
While polyester leisure suits he may shun
Put on Michael Franks and he's having fun
As nothing will take away your woes
Like a rousing chorus of "Popsicle Toes". :mrgreen:
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

This is the Michael Franks album to have:

The Art of Tea
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Re: lounge lizard

Post by rowlandhills »

ThomasOK wrote: Lejonklou the Lounge Lizard
The live and kikkin electronics wizard
Makes boxes with high musical appeal
For those of us who are less well-heeled
While polyester leisure suits he may shun
Put on Michael Franks and he's having fun
As nothing will take away your woes
Like a rousing chorus of "Popsicle Toes".
:lol: :lol: :lol:
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
Silvers, K400, Hutter rack
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

You're a poet, Thomas!

Agree about The Art of Tea, arguably his best album. But I like many of the others too (except some from the 80's, that wasn't really his decade) and find myself rediscovering them about once a year. Right now it's Tiger in the Rain, which features the oh so Loungey track 'When It's Over'.

Stay tuned for more Lounge Time Tracks. 8)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I own two Michael Franks albums: The Art of Tea and Tiger in the Rain. After that I lost interest as the quality of his work went down as you noted.

I did a search on him a year or two ago - one of those "what happened to him" lookups - and he still didn't seem to be doing anything new. Indeed his forum had a thread that seemed to be split about 50/50 between those complaining that he hadn't done anything new in 30 years and those who said they liked him being "consistent". Personally I see him as one of those artists (much like Steely Dan) where if you have one or two of their best albums you have all you will ever need. Kind of the polar opposite of King Crimson who reinvented themselves every album or two - at least for the first couple of decades.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Interesting thoughts. I've never had a problem with "consistent" artists. Just like with MF, I enjoy most Steely Dan albums and am always looking forward to the next. Even if it's a variation on the same theme.

Will listen some more to King Crimson, as you've mentioned them more than once.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Last month I meant to hook up this link of a xmas jingle by one of our customers.. but you know what its like with Xmas cards etc...Let me know what you think as feedback would be highly appreciated..(.Ive heard 6 other tracks in their early stages and they are keepers already) many thanks ..it may sound familiar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3hHDjMpu9Q
I know that tune
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

stefan

Post by stefan »

lejonklou wrote:...
Oh, yes! After this thing called Radikal I took out my KC compilation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Young_Pe ... ng_Crimson
and played the track Red like three times in a row. I'm now obsessed by this song, it's so smart! Sorry to say that this and Starless And Bible Black are the only ones I have on vinyl. Have their first album on CD and 21st Century Schizoid Man isn't, for some strange reason, on the compilation. Always loved the songs from the first album but I didn't really get songs like Red when I was young. Read a recent interview with John Wetton and he regards Red as their greatest work, perfect and something that can't be bettered. To bad vinyl copies seems hard to find. Unlike most progressive stuff from early 70's (even Genesis) KC doesn't sound at all dated, it's unique and extremely clever. Robert Fripp was(is) one of a kind.
trumpeten

Post by trumpeten »

lejonklou wrote:Stay tuned for more Lounge Time Tracks. 8)
When I stayed at Hotel Flora in Gothenburg end of August (we travelled there for the WayOutWest music festival - really great by the way) the hotel had a spotify playlist available on their website. Please see link:

http://open.spotify.com/user/hotelflora ... uemM6JXSjO

I really enjoy it. Kind of loungy but without having that mix of valium and brazil that otherwise seems synonomous with lounge music. I like the track by Hall and Oates, I didn't know that they had a career already in the seventies. Other favourites are El Perro Del Mar and Midlake.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thanks! Will try it out for sure. It's true that lounge requires a certain spark not to become boring. I think that's the key to the genre: Find the mood, get into it - and add a twist/spark.

Right now I'm revisiting the second and last record of Dust; Hard Attack. Every time, this makes me want to start a rock and roll band. Just a guitar, bass and drums. And now played on a Radikal LP12 and Slipsik 5.1 (new version soon to be released), I feel simply knocked out.

I can't find any of their stuff on either Youtube or Spotify, but allmusic has some info and a few sound clips. The LP's seem very rare... special thanks to my brother Thomas L for giving me both!

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... frxqt5ldhe

trumpeten

Post by trumpeten »

lejonklou wrote: Radikal LP12 and Slipsik 5.1 (new version soon to be released), I feel simply knocked out.
Radikal LP12 with Slipsik playing surround 5.1 - WOW! :wink: :lol: :lol:
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

stefan wrote:
lejonklou wrote:...
Oh, yes! After this thing called Radikal I took out my KC compilation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Young_Pe ... ng_Crimson
and played the track Red like three times in a row. I'm now obsessed by this song, it's so smart! Sorry to say that this and Starless And Bible Black are the only ones I have on vinyl. Have their first album on CD and 21st Century Schizoid Man isn't, for some strange reason, on the compilation. Always loved the songs from the first album but I didn't really get songs like Red when I was young. Read a recent interview with John Wetton and he regards Red as their greatest work, perfect and something that can't be bettered. To bad vinyl copies seems hard to find. Unlike most progressive stuff from early 70's (even Genesis) KC doesn't sound at all dated, it's unique and extremely clever. Robert Fripp was(is) one of a kind.
I'm not sure if the quote from John Wetton was about "Red" the track or "Red" the album. The album is certainly one of their best although I'd still put "In the Court of the Crimson King" ahead of it. While I like the track "Red" one of my all time favorite tracks is "Starless" on the same album (I believe it is also on the YPG). It is a long piece that starts slow and then builds into total frenetic energy and the closest thing to a musical primal scream I have heard on record. A great tune when you want to work out some angst. It builds in intensity and speed until you feel they couldn't play it any faster - and then they kick it up another notch! Then they mellow back down at the end and reprise the original theme. One of the best pieces of music on record IMHO.

The good news is that Discipline Global Mobile has just announced that "In the Court of the Crimson King" is being released on vinyl again! It will be pressed on 200 gram vinyl and come in a reproduction of the original gatefold sleeve. While there is no word on who cut the master record and who is doing the pressing, Robert Fripp approved the mastering and the master is cut from the original 1969 analog master tapes - no digital re-mastering. This record will ship in November. I certainly hope they did a good job as I'm getting tired of shopping for a clean first pressing that doesn't cost an arm and a leg ($300 to $400 US is the going rate).
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

ThomasOK wrote:The good news is that Discipline Global Mobile has just announced that "In the Court of the Crimson King" is being released on vinyl again! It will be pressed on 200 gram vinyl and come in a reproduction of the original gatefold sleeve. While there is no word on who cut the master record and who is doing the pressing, Robert Fripp approved the mastering and the master is cut from the original 1969 analog master tapes - no digital re-mastering. This record will ship in November. I certainly hope they did a good job as I'm getting tired of shopping for a clean first pressing that doesn't cost an arm and a leg ($300 to $400 US is the going rate).
I didn't realize an original copy of "In the Court of the Crimson King" would cost between $300.00 and $400.00 (United States). I'll be waiting for the new 200 gram release, especially since I never found an original copy. Is it possible the price would drop on an original copy, once the album is released again on the newer vinyl :?:
Tony Tune-age
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I picked up a copy on ebay on the Island label - think it's an early to mid 70s pressing from the label, but not sure exactly when. Was not too much, about £10-20 I think.

I quite like it, but not really got into it yet. I like the mellower tracks so far. I come back to it every once in a while, but it needs more listening. Some good playing though.