Playlist

Where it all begins

Moderator: Staff

mazganistan

Playlist

Post by mazganistan »

At work, I listen to The Knife's Deep Cuts aaall the time.

There's a good chance your colleagues, jajo, will stop whining as soon as they've been entranced by this wunnerful album - so no headphones, just crank it up! :wink:
Last edited by mazganistan on 2007-02-01 12:20, edited 3 times in total.
jajo

Post by jajo »

Oh, I envy you! At work, I listen to my whining colleagues aaall the time. Time to get The Knife's Deep Cut and a pair of headphones...

/ jajo
mazganistan

Post by mazganistan »

Hi again, meet Jesca Hoop! This is a performance on KCRW's Morning Becomes Eclectic from 2004;
http://www.kcrw.com/music/programs/mb/m ... jesca_hoop

She used to babysit Tom Waits' kids, you may sense some inspiration in some of the songs. Darn good music! If you ask me.
Last edited by mazganistan on 2007-02-02 17:38, edited 1 time in total.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Welcome to the forum, mazganistan!

I liked that a lot! Will give the knife a chance as well. Thanks for the tips!
mazganistan

Post by mazganistan »

Thanks for your welcome!

I picked out an album this afternoon, one that I hadn't listened to for a while, and it's an album that I think deserve more attention - quite different from the artists other work, but nonetheless just another proof of her genious. She deserves all the playtime she can get, and more. She's a true classic, and anyone who claims to love music (enough to own a LINN system :mrgreen: ) should absolutely dig in to everything's she's done. Here's the one I'm talking about, from 1997;
She has a new album out very soon; Sermon On Exposition Boulevard.
The triple album "Duchess of Coolsville" is a great introduction!
Who I'm talking about? Rickie Lee Jones...
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Rickie Lee Jones is definitely a winner. Her self-titled debut album is a true calssic - wonderful music recorded well - it is not to be missed. Her most recent new album "The Evening of My Best Day" is also quite good and a return to o lot of original, different music. And any Traffic lover really has to hear her cover of "The Low Spark of high-Heeled Boys" (a cut I never thought could be covered) of the excellent "It's Like This" album.

However, her second album "Pirates" is the crowning example of everything that was wrong with early digital recording. I really wanted to like this album as it has one of my favorite songs on it "We Belong Together". I actually bought it twice in the first few months after it came out and ended up returning it both times as it was simply unlistenable. Every time voices or cymbals start to get loud everything gets harsh. And it made the drummer, Steve Gadd - who is quite a drummer, sound like he was flailing on cardboard boxes. Not a pleasant sound at all. I have since heard other pressings (we are talking abot vinyl, aren't we?) from different countries that were somewhat less offensive but I have yet to hear one I enjoy.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Strange...
fyi, that album is just fantastic on a top spec LP12.
Well not quite top spec, "just" Arkiv...
:mrgreen:

Thanks, going to buy the new album.
Great artist!

Keep the suggestions commin´ guys.
It's all about musical understanding!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Well I admit my LP12 isn't top spec -- I don't have a Keel or an Ekos SE yet.:D But on my Akiva it still sounds pretty nasty. Do you know where your pressing is from as I would dearly love to hear a decent copy?

I've been checking into the new album and it looks like a good one.
mazganistan

Post by mazganistan »

ThomasOK wrote:However, her second album "Pirates" is the crowning example of everything that was wrong with early digital recording. I really wanted to like this album as it has one of my favorite songs on it "We Belong Together". I actually bought it twice in the first few months after it came out and ended up returning it both times as it was simply unlistenable. Every time voices or cymbals start to get loud everything gets harsh. And it made the drummer, Steve Gadd - who is quite a drummer, sound like he was flailing on cardboard boxes. Not a pleasant sound at all. I have since heard other pressings (we are talking abot vinyl, aren't we?) from different countries that were somewhat less offensive but I have yet to hear one I enjoy.
We have a German pressing of Pirates that sounds very good! (But dug out a Flying Cowboys CD that is less than enjoyable, ewe, German-made as well.)
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I have listened to the Knife today, an absolutely brilliant album!

Once again, thanks for the tip.
Pediatrik

Post by Pediatrik »

If you liked "Deep Cuts" Fredrik, you should listen to their new album "Silent Shout"! It is darker, deeper and absolutely brilliant!

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

mazganistan wrote:We have a German pressing of Pirates that sounds very good! (But dug out a Flying Cowboys CD that is less than enjoyable, ewe, German-made as well.)
Thanks for the suggestion. I was told by a friend that he had a German pressing that he thought was good. I'll have to see if I can get hold of one and try it out. It would be good to be able to listen to "WE Belong Together" without wincing.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Pediatrik wrote:If you liked "Deep Cuts" Fredrik, you should listen to their new album "Silent Shout"!
Placed an order for it last night!

Visiting webshops in the middle of the night can be a bit dangerous... :|

I'm relieved they don't sell Keels online! :lol:
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Silent Shout is good. Very good. What is the thing with their voices? They keep pulling me in...
mazganistan

Post by mazganistan »

http://www.maillot-jaune.com/shop/relea ... =717086266

Silent Shout LP's! (Follow the Brille Records link and you will find more)

Fantastic music...
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I've kept away from the sharp tools lately and returned to an old favourite of mine:
Alison Krauss & Union Station; New Favourite.

Did some improvements to my amps and suddenly this record got a new life. How can they pick the banjo that fast? To those who have seen the movie 'Oh Brother Where Art Thou', Union Station is the band that plays the hit song A Man of Constant Sorrows. If you've heard it you'll know what kind of music this is.

I think Alison Krauss made another record together with Union Station. If anybody heard it and would like to comment, then I'd be grateful.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

lejonklou wrote: I think Alison Krauss made another record together with Union Station. If anybody heard it and would like to comment, then I'd be grateful.
I agree that New Favorite is quite a good record. Alison Krauss actually has a fair number of recordings under her belt. I haven't heard anywhere near all of them but there are a few others that I can recommend just as strongly as New Favorite:

Forget About It
So Long So Wrong
Live

Forget About It doesn't list Union Station on the cover but I am pretty sure they play on the album along with others. It is more of a pop album with Alison mostly covering a number of popular songs but it is quite good. Live is one of the best live recordings I have heard and there is also a DVD available of the performance which is a lot of fun. So Long So Wrong is also quite good. If you like New Favorite you will probably like all of these.

I have Forget About It, So Long So Wrong and New Favorite all on vinyl and Live just became available on a Mobile Fidelity vinyl box set. Some of these may be hard to find on vinyl but the three I have are all very good recordings.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thanks Thomas!

That was quite an extensive review, I will check the records out.

The reason I asked about Krauss + Union Station was that I read a review in a Swedish newspaper a while back that they were going to do a follow up on their successful collaboration on 'New Favourite'.

It was written as if that was their first album together.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Haven't yet searched for any of the Krauss albums, but going through my vinyl I rediscovered an old favourite of mine: Bruce Cockburn. Played 'Stealing Fire' from start to finish this evening, rather loud. Great record.

Now, we don't have a real music forum here, just this Playlist topic thanks to mazganistan. But if we did I'd start it with a thread about this Canadian guy. He's made some suberb recordings.
mazganistan

frida hyvönen

Post by mazganistan »

Pediatrik

Post by Pediatrik »

"Until Death Comes", that is a truly great album! I really like Fridas voice and the way she treats her pianos!

I have recently bought her new album "Music From The Dance Performance PUDEL", but I haven't really got round to listen to it properly. Maybe tonight!
mazganistan

Post by mazganistan »

How was the PUDEL album, Pediatrik? Have just listened to a clip. She's great!

Another even greater lady; I'll be seing Rickie Lee Jones on Nalen on Monday. Happy happy double happy. :D
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

Pudel? I'we got an LP with The Fabulous Poodles (Think Pink) that is pretty good... :D
Pediatrik

Post by Pediatrik »

mazganistan wrote:How was the PUDEL album, Pediatrik? Have just listened to a clip. She's great!
It is as stunning as her first album! A bit short perhaps at 23 min, but filled with truly beautiful music!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

These two last weeks (while finalising my latest phono stage that is soon to be released), I have once again fallen deeply into the cool grooves of Michael Franks.

Favourites on vinyl:
The Art of Tea
Sleeping Gypsy
Burchfield Nines

Can't stop listening to them.