Playlist

Where it all begins

Moderator: Staff

Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Just got back from a George Clinton gig,boy was it amazing and what a finale,it reminded me of something Herbie Hancock said about a Sun Ra gig he went to.
'At the start of the concert the chord was so big I had to leave' :lol:
I know that tune
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I love that comment from Herbie Hancock, have read it and smiled several times now.

One record that I bought on LP as soon as it was released, and then listened to for a while without really loving it, is Massive Attacks second album "Protection".

I played it recently, after having fine tuned my LP12 (with Lingo 2, Trampolin 2, Keel, Ekos SE and Adikt feeding a Slipsik 3) and was completely blown away by it.

Magical, scary, beautiful, hypnotic. I turn it up a little louder and it feels like I've never really heard it before.

I always turn it off before the last song though - it kills the atmosphere completely.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Hi Lejonklou its great when that happens it feels as if you have just received a great album for free.What was it about it this time that wasnt happening last time?You could try playing the last track first a few times on its own; its a great version.I love this album at times but I always thought it sounded a bit wonky;slightly out of pitch on the piano track,I like to think they meant it.No protection is also a great album;the dub version by the mad professor.This is really hypnotic.I think I'll listen to them now in fact,if I can find them :lol:
I know that tune
mazganistan

Post by mazganistan »

Agree... Protection is a great album! Also their Blue Lines from 1991

had a look at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_in_music

fun to take a trip down memory lane!

The year when

Serge Gainsbourg, Freddie Mercury and Stan Getz went to meet their maker

Public Enemy had the hit "Bring the noise"

Steely Dan reunited
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Lego: I think what moved me this time was my unexpected immersion in the layers of different sounds. Like in Eurochild; those bass tones going up and down, the texture of them, Take a second of me...

Mazganistan: Agree, Blue Lines is great - even better I'd say. But that I realized when I heard it the very first time. Wrote a review of it for a magazine back then.

Many things I remember on that list from 1991, thanks!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Since we entered a classical music discussion on the hifi forum, I suddenly remembered that in the early 80's, when I was quite young, I bought an album with Chopin's funeral march after having heard the tune in a movie.

I came home, put it on my very first turntable (a NAD) and encountered something I had not expected; a very different interpretation by Ivo Pogorelich. I remember feeling perplexed - what was that?

I also remember reading on the album cover the story of how Pogorelich performed it at a Chopin competition and got kicked out by the jury, despite getting the highest score by some of those who voted. Quite a drama, and it's easy to understand when you hear it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wafaAIH436s
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Very impressive Lejonklou a man with principles as well as qualities .
I also enjoyed Damiens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z29STlN ... re=related

Was your NAD turntable the one with the flat arm Fredrik,and what made you go for that one as opposed to the Regas etc?

Lego
I know that tune
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Ouch. Good! That song is painfully beautiful.

The NAD I had was the second version with a "regular" thin tube tonearm...

Rega? Wish I had known about them, but I was young and ignorant back then. :wink:
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I know she gets some flak for being dull, but personally, I've really been enjoying Norah Jones 'not too late' last thing on a work night (Blue Note pressing). Really mellow and so many gorgeous melodies on one album. Any suggestion for other artists that have this sound? - is it called Blue Grass?

Also been enjoying the recent purchase of some old 45s that I didn't have on LP. 'War Baby' by Tom Robinson, 'Do anything you wanna do' by Eddie and the Hotrods, and 'Band of Gold' by Freda Payne! All Great tracks! Oh, and 'Drift Away' by Dobie Gray - sounds great for 1973!

Had a couple of listens to 'Easy Tiger' by Ryan Adams which holds some promise, but not really got into it yet.

Anyone listen to Elbow? 'Leaders of the Free World' is a fine album.

Thinking about buying the new Radiohead LP, but they are a bit hit and miss with me. I do enjoy some of their stuff, but the rest I can't get on with at all.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I agree about the Norah Jones - very enjoyable music and a really good recording (and it doesn't hurt that she's really cute, either :) ). I would also recommend her first album "Come Away With Me" as being in the same league as the latest if not even a bit better. The second album "Feels Like Home" is a little more country-ish but is also worthwhile.

I wouldn't really call Norah bluegrass although some of her pieces get into that range. If you want to hear really good bluegrass with a truly fine woman singer check out the Alison Krauss albums mentioned earlier in the thread. And while on the subject of Alison Krauss, I just listened to her album with Robert Plant last night and I am really pleased with it. It is not a pairing I would have ever imagined but they work really well together and I felt the music was quite good. It is a double record set on vinyl and I was compelled to listen to all 4 sides. I will give the warning that this seems to be one of those love it/hate it albums as a couple of customers told me they didn't like it at all. But I don't generally agree with their taste (who can take a Dianna Krall devotee seriously :) ) and it has been very well reviewed. "You pays your money and you takes your chances."

I also gave the Kleiber Beethovens 5th on Recut a spin and was quite pleased. Interestingly as a mono recording it didn't sound all that wonderful sitting in the sweet spot as everything appeared to be coming from right in the middle, but when in the dining area it sounded like I had a really great orchestra in the next room. A really fine performance. Another long time favorite classical recording of mine is Holst "The Planets" conducted by William Stienberg with Boston Symphony Orchestra on DG. I have heard several other well-reviewed performances of these pieces but none I enjoy as much as this one. It is a very lyrical playing, a real treat.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks Thomas. Listening to Alison Krauss on vinyl seems to be an expensive business. I can't find anything second hand, although 'So Long, So Wrong' is available New for a whopping £38 which is much more than I would usually want to spend on one album. However, I've done some super Hi-Fi listening via YouTube and like what I hear and as my wife asked what I'd like for my birthday in a few weeks, I think I'll opt for this. Will let you know how I get on.

Just listened to REMs debut 'Murmur'. Haven't heard it in years, but what a great album! (and it never sounded that good 10 years ago!)
Broccoli

Post by Broccoli »

Listening to the re-release of the Michael Jackson Thriller album. It contains remixes of five of the orginal songs and I actually think it's pretty well done. (Probably helps to like the originals to begin with.)

will.i.am, Akon, Fergie and Kanye West are singing. But Michael's voice is the best of course :wink:

Cool cover too (I had the "zombie version").
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

ThomasOK wrote:I would also recommend her first album "Come Away With Me" as being in the same league as the latest if not even a bit better. The second album "Feels Like Home" is a little more country-ish but is also worthwhile.
Just ordered both "Come Away With Me" and "Feels Like Home", so will let you know how I get on. Never did order Alison Krauss as it was too late for a Birthday gift and just seems a bit pricey now. I need to do more YouTube listening before I commit.
You're a fan of Ricky Lee Jones I think - I'm hoping "The Sermon on Exposition Boulevard" will be available on Vinyl at some point. It's got some really good reviews!

Anyone bought 'In Rainbows'? Any good or just too depressing? I've struggled a bit with their last few albums.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Jamie T - Panic prevetion. Can't stop listening, can't stop turning up the volume. It's soooo good!

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Charlie1 wrote:Couldn't help but include one with [my daughter] sleeping through 'The Colour of Spring'
This is a quote from one of Charlie's posts in his personal 'Top Heavy System' topic. I think I missed it back when it was posted, but found it now and had to put the record on.

This was the first album I bought by Talk Talk, after having heard the song 'It's my life' from their previous album. I really loved 'The Colour of Spring' and continue to do so today.

I have run into a couple of Talk Talk fans over the years. It has turned out that people either have never heard of them (99%) or know who they are and just love their albums (1%). I certainly belong to the latter and fully embrace everything from their early pop years to the heart breaking, minimalistic (and sometimes referred to as "experimental", whatever that means) last album 'Laughing Stock'.

Anyone care to comment on Mark Hollis self titled album from 1998?
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

lejonklou wrote:after having heard the song 'It's my life' from their previous album.
Such a great song. I don't have any of their other albums, but must make the effort to get them.

Fredrik, have you heard anything by Elbow? If not then I think you might like them - they've got some excellent albums and have been around a while. They don't sound like Talk Talk, but are similar in spirit - i.e. quite laid back and some people think they sound miserable, but they've create some gorgeous tunes. Their latest LP called 'The Seldom Seen Kid' is right up there with their best and I think you'll like it. Here's a few tracks from it:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nMD7FIpq11Q
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iL4mywCOJ ... re=related
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uqx4o6Qyy ... re=related
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Don't think I'll be getting 'Laughing Stock' unless I'm lucky enough to pick it up in a charity shop or car boot sale. There is one on eBAy with 2 hours to go and it is already over £40! Can't even find a copy on netsoundsmusic.com so it must be rare. Simply Vinyl have reissued 'Spirit of Eden' so perhaps they will reissue this last album too.

I forgot that I do have 'The Party's Over' in storage. Will have to dig it out and have a listen. As I've said before - there is too much music and not enough time to listen to it all!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I just had a look at ebay and there is one dutch LP pressing of Laughing Stock from Germany. Already at £26 with 5 more days to go!

The Talk Talk records gradually change from easy pop to more and more hypnotic and minimalistic stuff. If the latest you have is Colour of Spring, I suggest you first go to the next album; Spirit of Eden. It's probably the one I enjoy the most. Laughing Stock is the last and most difficult.

My copies of Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock have become a bit crackly in the quiet passages. And there are some sudden dead quiet moments in their music, which could possibly point in the direction of getting them on CD instead of LP. Much cheaper and readily available.

Thanks for the Elbow tip! I like it!
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks for the Talk Talk info. Sorry, but I'm not familiar with the this CD thing you mention - what does it stand for?

That LP went for a wopping £69 on ebay in the end.

Will go for 'Spirit of Eden' next as there seem to be plenty of copies available on LP - the only sound!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Charlie1 wrote:Thanks for the Talk Talk info. Sorry, but I'm not familiar with the this CD thing you mention - what does it stand for?

That LP went for a wopping £69 on ebay in the end.

Will go for 'Spirit of Eden' next as there seem to be plenty of copies available on LP - the only sound!
Don't you know, CD is short for Chronic Disease. :)

Whereas LP stands for Lasting Pleasure. :wink:

OK, that's probably as cutesie as I can handle getting with the emoticons without retching. I have one of the Talk Talk LPs - "It's My Life" which I quite like as well but I never have really heard the others. Since I rather enjoy minimalist music, as should be obvious from my love of King Crimson, I will have to check out the later records. I wonder if the "Laughing Stock" pricing scheme has made it to this side of the pond or if they are priced more normally here.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

ThomasOK wrote: Don't you know, CD is short for Chronic Disease. :)

Whereas LP stands for Lasting Pleasure. :wink:
:mrgreen:

DS; Definitely Superior :wink:
It's all about musical understanding!
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Music Lover wrote:DS; Definitely Superior Wink
Very true! The DS is Definitely Superior.........to CD :)
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

ThomasOK wrote:Since I rather enjoy minimalist music
Have you got Mark Cohn's self-titled debut? I think it's a fine album with just straight-forward strong songs. Perhaps not what you mean by minimalist, but as you like Norah and Ricky Lee Jones, then I think you'll like this.

I have never heard King Crimson's work. I will have a listen on YouTube. I always get them mixed up with Capt Beefheart for some unknown reason. In fact, I should look them both up as 'Trout Mask Replica' is one of those 'classic' albums.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Charlie1 wrote:
ThomasOK wrote:Since I rather enjoy minimalist music
Have you got Mark Cohn's self-titled debut? I think it's a fine album with just straight-forward strong songs. Perhaps not what you mean by minimalist, but as you like Norah and Ricky Lee Jones, then I think you'll like this.

I have never heard King Crimson's work. I will have a listen on YouTube. I always get them mixed up with Capt Beefheart for some unknown reason. In fact, I should look them both up as 'Trout Mask Replica' is one of those 'classic' albums.
Never heard King Crimson's work?!!! :? Go right out and procure "In the Court of the Crimson King", "Lark's Tongues in Aspic", "Red" and "Discipline" and check back once fully digested. :)

Not all King Crimson is minimalist, some is more like massively multi-layered. But it is generally exquisitely played and runs form beautiful and melodic ("I Talk to the Wind" on In the Court or "Book of Saturday" on Lark's Tongues) to some of the most powerful progressive rock played ("21st Century Schizoid Man", "Lark's Tongues in Aspic, part 2", "Starless" and "Discipline") to even lascivious ("Easy Money"). Have fun!

I do not have the Mark Cohn album but will have to check into it.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

ThomasOK wrote:Never heard King Crimson's work?!!! Confused Go right out and procure "In the Court of the Crimson King", "Lark's Tongues in Aspic", "Red" and "Discipline" and check back once fully digested. Smile
There are a few 'In the Court of the Crimson King' LPs on eBay so I've bid on one. I like what I've heard on YouTube, but have mainly bid on a copy because the guy on the front cover has nostrils nearly as big as mine which is as good a reason as any I think.