Playlist

Where it all begins

Moderator: Staff

Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

It could be a very long time before we see the type (and volume) of music talent which was so common during the 1950's, 1960's and 1970's. But it's nice to see people of all ages enjoy music from those era's 8) .
Tony Tune-age
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Charlie1 wrote:I made an ebay offer on a 70s pressing BTW. It was accepted so looking forward to getting that soon. Doubt it’s a first pressing, but if I can enjoy YouTube then anything should be fine :)
In musical heaven now :D Koln Concert LPs are both in fine condition so happy with the purchase.

Don't know if this is the sign of great music, but first listen I realised my system was out of tune following new Dynamik in KK1. Been enjoying the upgrade and postponing the speaker re-tune, but couldn't proceed tonight as it was hard to get past the hi-fi sounds and enjoy the music. Quick 5mm speaker tweak and all sorted. Ahrrrr relax.... 8)
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

This one is ideal for late night listening. She is very easy on the ears. Recording is nice too - not hi-fi or anything - just plain and musical.

Don't think this is the official video, but I like it for some reason :roll:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RhovgEvCUw&feature=fvw
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I had a chance to spend some time listening to music recently (this doesn't happen as often as I would like) and enjoyed a couple of new records. Both were actually quite good. The first was the new Jack Johnson "To the Sea". I have to say I quite like pretty much all of Jack Johnson's stuff and play his "Brushfire Fairytales" frequently both for demos and in evaluations. The recordings are actually quite good sounding and I have them all on vinyl.

The other is Los Lobos, a group that can also generally be counted on to produce good music. This is their latest and definitely has good music on it. While not quite as good a recording IMHO as the Jack Johnson, it is nevertheless good and fully enjoyable.

If you like either of these make sure to check their back catalog as well as they both contain a number of gems.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Charlie1 wrote:
Charlie1 wrote:I made an ebay offer on a 70s pressing BTW. It was accepted so looking forward to getting that soon. Doubt it’s a first pressing, but if I can enjoy YouTube then anything should be fine :)
In musical heaven now :D Koln Concert LPs are both in fine condition so happy with the purchase.

Don't know if this is the sign of great music, but first listen I realised my system was out of tune following new Dynamik in KK1. Been enjoying the upgrade and postponing the speaker re-tune, but couldn't proceed tonight as it was hard to get past the hi-fi sounds and enjoy the music. Quick 5mm speaker tweak and all sorted. Ahrrrr relax.... 8)
Glad to see your'e getting it together Charlie you'll probably find as time goes on you'll be craving the more chilled tip; another ECM Classic is Arvo Part's(pronounced pert if you're in a snooty store) Tabula Rasa..I'm sure KJ plays on it.Doesnt really work on youtube but the track Speigel Im Speigel does; with photos of Gods own country...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8qg_0P9 ... re=related
I know that tune
SaltyDog
Very active member
Very active member

Post by SaltyDog »

My brother just introduced me to Jack Johnson's work this week! Have to agree it's quite enjoyable. First album in a long time I've listened to three times in two days.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Lego wrote:but the track Speigel Im Speigel does; with photos of Gods own country...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8qg_0P9 ... re=related
Very nice indeed! Thanks for the tips.
ThomasOK wrote:Another really good ECM record from that period is The Colours of Chloe by Eberhard Weber. It is a really fine album with a lot of interesting mellow jazz on it. Side two is enough to blow your mind - it is all one track but when I first heard it on the radio I was ready to call in and ask what those wonderful last five pieces of music were only to have the announcer say it was all the same piece!
Not sure quite what I think of this. Some is quite nice, others not really my bag. Probably more of a grower. Thanks though
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Eberhard Weber is a bit different but I quite enjoy him. I also have to say that I find some music I hear an MP3 of and it does nothing for me yet the vinyl is quite good. On others the MP3 is good enough for me to be sure I'll like it.

Anyway, another ECM of that era that I find excellent and you might like is "Crystal Silence" by Gary Burton and Chick Corea. It is just duets of piano and vibes and is a kind of light and happy album. You might want to check it out.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

I'll look for the album "Crystal Silence" since I've liked Chick Corea's music :!:
Tony Tune-age
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Syl Johnson's "Is It Because I'm Black", the title track is an absolute killer!
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Tendaberry wrote:Syl Johnson's "Is It Because I'm Black", the title track is an absolute killer!
I'll keep my eyes open for a copy of this album... :wink: .
Tony Tune-age
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Linda Perhacs sole Lp "Parallelograms" from the early 70's. Lightly psychadelic folk with a jazzy tinge. The original lp is currently being offered on US Ebay for $ 399,-...

Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Tendaberry wrote:Linda Perhacs sole Lp "Parallelograms" from the early 70's. Lightly psychadelic folk with a jazzy tinge. The original lp is currently being offered on US Ebay for $ 399,-...

Is that $399.00 (U.S.) ? ? ? Or is that $399 Euro ? ? ? Although if it's on U.S. Ebay it should be American currency... :wink:
Tony Tune-age
monkeydevil

Post by monkeydevil »

Tendaberry wrote:Linda Perhacs sole Lp "Parallelograms" from the early 70's. Lightly psychadelic folk with a jazzy tinge. The original lp is currently being offered on US Ebay for $ 399,-...

One of my all-time favourites. Desert island record, as they say...
Got mine for around $15 on ebay some 8 years ago.
Tony Tune-age wrote:Is that $399.00 (U.S.) ? ? ? Or is that $399 Euro ? ? ? Although if it's on U.S. Ebay it should be American currency...
Tony, the European currency symbol for Euro is €.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Actually, I did know that...but $399.00 seems like a great deal of money 8) . However, that was a very good price you paid :!: Perhaps I will be so lucky...to find a copy at a good price 8) .
Tony Tune-age
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

€399 is a lot more than US$399.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

lejonklou wrote:€399 is a lot more than US$399.
Is the Euro the same amount as the Pound :?:
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Tony Tune-age wrote:
Currently, 1 Euro = 1.4206 Dollars... :shock: And it looks like the British Pound is approximately 0.84 to one Euro currently :? .
Tony Tune-age
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Last edited by Charlie1 on 2011-04-02 23:10, edited 1 time in total.
Wolfie

Post by Wolfie »

Tony Tune-age wrote:
Tony Tune-age wrote:
Currently, 1 Euro = 1.4206 Dollars... :shock: And it looks like the British Pound is approximately 0.84 to one Euro currently :? .
I think it's the other way around - approx. 0.84 Euro to one pound.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Wolfie wrote:
Tony Tune-age wrote:
Tony Tune-age wrote: Is the Euro the same amount as the Pound :?:
I think it's the other way around - approx. 0.84 Euro to one pound.
Thanks...although both are greater than the American dollar ! ! !
Tony Tune-age
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Anyone bought any decent albums lately?

Finally bouhgt 'Shine' by Daniel Lanois after a couple of recommendations over the years, perhaps due to all the 'Achtung Baby' talk/interviews at the moment. Not sure what to think yet, after only one listen. Suspect I'll either quite like it or really like it, but not sure yet.

I am Klout's 'Sky at Night' still going strong - great LP.

Still plenty to get. I must buy 'The Eraser' sometime. At least I have a list now, instead of forgetting stuff all the time.

Confess to buying the 12" of 'Black Man Ray' the other week. Now that's a good 80s tune you don't hear much on the radio.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Just picked-up a new Jimi Hendrix release, it's a three ablum set called "Live at Woodstock" and it sounds great!

Plus another release, the new Vintage Winos album, by Keith Richards. The vinyl is red and there's only three sides...two sides on the first record and one side on the second record. I wasn't sure what to expect with this album, but it sounds good as well. Glad to have it in my collection!
Tony Tune-age
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Tony Tune-age wrote:Just picked-up a new Jimi Hendrix release, it's a three ablum set called "Live at Woodstock" and it sounds great!
Sounds good.

Do you know if any of the re-issues of 'Electric Ladyland' are worth getting? Some are reported to be sourced from the original analogue master, but I've learned this doesn't automatically mean they are worth getting.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Charlie1 wrote:
Tony Tune-age wrote:Just picked-up a new Jimi Hendrix release, it's a three ablum set called "Live at Woodstock" and it sounds great!
Sounds good.

Do you know if any of the re-issues of 'Electric Ladyland' are worth getting? Some are reported to be sourced from the original analogue master, but I've learned this doesn't automatically mean they are worth getting.
I'll have to check my Hendrix collection, it's possible I have at least one of those re-issued albums. But to be fair, none of my re-issued Jimi Hendrix albums have been un-musical.

However, my biggest surprise is the "Live at Woodstock" album, simply put...it sounds fantastic. It's hard to believe this album was recorded in 1969.
Tony Tune-age