Playlist

Where it all begins

Moderator: Staff

Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Just found an original copy of a studio album by the Grateful Dead recorded in 1967, on Warner Brothers record label. I think this might be their first album, and it's in really good condition as well.
Last edited by Tony Tune-age on 2018-09-16 05:28, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Tune-age
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

A couple of new albums have recently graced my turntable:

Steve Wilson: Grace for Drowning is a really excellent double album from the writer/vacalist/guitarist/producer of the group Porcupine Tree. Definitely prog - sounds more like King Crimson in places than any of his previous stuff. Interesting, inventive and quite well recorded.

Feist: Metals. I first read about Fiest on one of the forums and decided to look her up. Really good vocalist and I quite enjoy her quirky style and the different take she has on each song. This is her latest album, just came out in October and I enjoy it quite as well as her 2007 album "The Reminder".
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I know she is very popular in the UK, but for those outside the UK and not familiar with her music, she is well worth a listen. Quite a tuneful LP too, by modern standards!

Here's a track too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLQl3WQQoQ0
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

Charlie1 wrote:I know she is very popular in the UK, but for those outside the UK and not familiar with her music, she is well worth a listen. Quite a tuneful LP too, by modern standards!

+1 :)
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

mazganistan wrote:Are you familiar with her? http://www.anebrun.com/

From her latest album, Changing of the Seasons;

The treehouse song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBdMBk5Xh5w

The puzzle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILrYfkgtObo

Changing of the seasons
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkgwkhEI ... re=related

Fantastic!

Maz also told me about her last UK visit, but I couldn't make it. However, I just booked tickets for this year's UK concert in April. Shame it won't be such a small venue this time around. She is also playing in Stockholm and Dublin on April:

http://anebrun.com/tour/

Anyone heard her new album? I had trouble getting the LP at first, but a copy should arrive soon.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Great version of 'Crying' by Ren Harvieu on radio, starts 1hr 18mins in:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b01fqrnz

Sorry, but it was spine tingling 'live', in the car :) ...might be OK on a DS player, but not my laptop :(

She has a great voice though. Her first single was good too if anyone interested.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

springwood64 wrote:
Charlie1 wrote:I know she is very popular in the UK, but for those outside the UK and not familiar with her music, she is well worth a listen. Quite a tuneful LP too, by modern standards!

+1 :)
I like this too, but a few people on another forum told me I was crazy. Not sure why they feel that way.
Tony Tune-age
SaltyDog
Very active member
Very active member

Post by SaltyDog »

I'd like to suggest Patrica Barber. Some of her albums are available as 45s, some only as downloads off her website, and most on vinyl and CD. Talented and inventive. Her covers can make you think she spent more time developing them than the original artist, and her original stuff is well......original.

And I just recently was introduced to Hugh Masekela plays Fluglehorn and some really strong emotional vocals. He reminds me of Louis Armstrong, not so much in the music, but with the relationship he has with his voice and the instruments.

Both of these artists are so connected vocally with their instruments. Patricia plays piano mainly.

And then the drummer(s) in the Patricia Barber Quartet (she has different drummers, well different quartets actually) will stretch the range of percussion with a delicacy of touch that I find amazing.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

I'll check-out both of these muscicians, thanks for the information!
SaltyDog wrote:I'd like to suggest Patrica Barber. Some of her albums are available as 45s, some only as downloads off her website, and most on vinyl and CD. Talented and inventive. Her covers can make you think she spent more time developing them than the original artist, and her original stuff is well......original.

And I just recently was introduced to Hugh Masekela plays Fluglehorn and some really strong emotional vocals. He reminds me of Louis Armstrong, not so much in the music, but with the relationship he has with his voice and the instruments.

Both of these artists are so connected vocally with their instruments. Patricia plays piano mainly.

And then the drummer(s) in the Patricia Barber Quartet (she has different drummers, well different quartets actually) will stretch the range of percussion with a delicacy of touch that I find amazing.
Tony Tune-age
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Playlist

Post by sunbeamgls »

Here's a link to the tracks we had available for visitors to choose from at the recent Hifi Wigwam 2013 Show at Scalford Hall. Each of them is musically enjoyable (at least for me they are!) but all are very well produced / recorded:

http://audiophilemusings.blogspot.com/2 ... -2013.html
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Playlist

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Here's part of my holiday weekend playlist:

1) Really Rock Them Right album, side two - "Jelly Roll King" by Frank Frost

2) Crosby, Stills & Nash album, side two - "Dark Star"

3) Grateful Dead concert at Cornell University 1977 (vinyl box set) - "all sides"

4) Carlos Santana Blues for Salvador album, side two
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Implementing my playlist for the weekend (in no particular order);

1) The Allman Brothers Band - "Eat a Peach" (2 LP set)

2) Bruce Springsteen album - "Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J."

3) "The Who Live at the Fillmore East 1968" (3 LP set)

4) Rhiannon Giddens - "Tomorrow Is My Turn"
Tony Tune-age
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Cool playlists :-)
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Time to confess a bit of a gap in my collection. I didn't have 'Electric Ladyland' :( I think my CD copy put me off in the 1980s and I've since got by with some best-of collections.

However, I ordered the Sony Legacy 2010 family approved all-analogue version which came through today. I've never thought much of re-issues but this sounds really good. It's the US pressed version, not the Euro pressed one. It was about 25 quid so great value.

I got it new cos original copies cost about £200-£300 here in the UK, even for a reissue. However, after ordering the Sony version, I later checked out discogs copies in the US and they are miles cheaper, circa £20-£30. There are loads to choose from to. So, I've ordered an original US release coming over the pond anytime soon. However, I'm now wondering if a very old (probably well worn) copy will be able to compete with this. We'll see.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

That'll be a very interesting comparison. I recently decided in favour of older (pre-digital age) copies, instead of new reissues. This was was based on comparing Dave Brubeck's Time Out as an Analogue Productions reissue from 2015 with a 1971 reissue. In terms of timing the 1971 reissue was clearly better.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Just came through in record time.

It's appear to be as described, a US pressing under the original release with a label that dates 1968-69. The LPs have definitely been cleaned and given posh new sleeves.

The original release is more enjoyable. It better conveys the essence of the music and the band play a bit more together. It shares the same sonic signature with the 1970s/1980s analogue 'Best Of' albums that I already own, albeit clearer. Whereas, the new reissue sounds more impressive, although still very analogue, and a bit different somehow, perhaps due to the current manufacturing processes. The Sony re-issue also has a hardness and hint of distortion when the tracks get loud and very busy.

However, I still like the Sony re-issue. It would be a good solution had it not been for the fact that Discogs enables us to import from the US at reasonable prices. Time to play it again!
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Informative report Charlie1, glad everything worked out for you (money wise and sound wise). I have an original copy that sounds very nice as well. However, since I don't own any other copy, I haven't done any comparing. Thanks for sharing your findings!
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Tendaberry wrote:Cool playlists :-)
Thanks Tendaberry, have a great weekend!
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Implementing my playlist for the weekend (in no particular order);

1) Grace Slick & The Great Society album, 1967 (2 LP set, Columbia Records)

2) Santana - "Moonflower" album, 1977 (2 LP set, recorded live by Columbia Records)

3) Grateful Dead - "Without A Net" album 1990 (3 LP set, recorded live by Arista Records)

4) Grateful Dead - "Wake Up to Find Out" album 1990 (5 LP set, recorded live by Rhino Records)
Tony Tune-age
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

'A case for shame' feat: Cold Specks by Moby is just fantastic. Listening on Spotify and really loving the layers. Top tunage.
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Richard Thompson - 13 Rivers: his best in years, I think.
RT.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Weekend follow-up playlist (in no particular order);

1) "Pink Floyd Meddle" album, 1971 (Harvest Records)

2) "Bob Seger & The Last Heard" album, 2018 (Cameo Parkway Records)

3) "Topographic Drama, Yes Live Across America" album, 2017 (3LP set, Rhino Records)

4) "Grateful Dead, Portland Memorial Coliseum" album, May 15th, 1974 (6 LP set, recorded live on Rhino Records)
Tony Tune-age
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Tony Tune-age wrote:Weekend follow-up playlist (in no particular order);
4) "Grateful Dead, Portland Memorial Coliseum" album, May 15th, 1974 (6 LP set, recorded live on Rhino Records)
Listening to this one right now, pretty great. Although not on lp, but on Qobuz in 24/192
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Tendaberry wrote:
Tony Tune-age wrote:Weekend follow-up playlist (in no particular order);
Listening to this one right now, pretty great. Although not on lp, but on Qobuz in 24/192
SWEET...!!!
Tony Tune-age
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Is anyone else here enjoying Suede's new long player, 'The Blue Hour' ?
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.