Playlist

Where it all begins

Moderator: Staff

Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Charlie1 wrote:I picked up a copy on ebay on the Island label - think it's an early to mid 70s pressing from the label, but not sure exactly when. Was not too much, about £10-20 I think.
That's certainly a good price :!: It would be interesting to compare an original copy with the new release 8) . I'll pick up the new album when it becomes available next month :!:
Tony Tune-age
stefan

Post by stefan »

ThomasOK wrote:...
I'm not sure if the quote from John Wetton was about "Red" the track or "Red" the album. The album is certainly one of their best although I'd still put "In the Court of the Crimson King" ahead of it. While I like the track "Red" one of my all time favorite tracks is "Starless" on the same album (I believe it is also on the YPG). It is a long piece that starts slow and then builds into total frenetic energy and the closest thing to a musical primal scream I have heard on record. A great tune when you want to work out some angst. It builds in intensity and speed until you feel they couldn't play it any faster - and then they kick it up another notch! Then they mellow back down at the end and reprise the original theme. One of the best pieces of music on record IMHO.
He was refering to the album Red. Something about when Fripp presented the 5.1 mixes of Red (yes, it's available on DVD-Audio) and said -listen how good it sounds, Wetton replied that he though it was perfect from the beginning. I don't have the article, read it a bit quickly at the library some month ago (swedish guitar mag Fuzz)
Yes, Starless is following Red on side two of YPG. Have been listening to that as well lately and agree what a great piece it is. Wetton also shows some great vocals here.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Mm, I like it!
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Tony Tune-age wrote:
Charlie1 wrote:I picked up a copy on ebay on the Island label - think it's an early to mid 70s pressing from the label, but not sure exactly when. Was not too much, about £10-20 I think.
That's certainly a good price :!: It would be interesting to compare an original copy with the new release 8) . I'll pick up the new album when it becomes available next month :!:
Just placed an order for the new version of "In The Court of the Crimson King :!: " Hopefully it will sound very good musically... 8)
Tony Tune-age
reZieLe

Post by reZieLe »

lejonklou wrote:
Mm, I like it!
can't forget this song..

a very memorable for me and for my family..

well it's one of my late grandpa's favorites.....

:cry:
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

reZieLe wrote:can't forget this song..
JusTiN,

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Azazello; I have played this song again, again and again. I just started looking for it on vinyl. You have any other Bonnie Prince Billy recommendations?
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

lejonklou wrote:
reZieLe wrote:can't forget this song..
JusTiN,

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Azazello; I have played this song again, again and again. I just started looking for it on vinyl. You have any other Bonnie Prince Billy recommendations?
These are the ones I would recommend off hand: I See A Darkness, Master And Everyone, Ease Down The Road and Greatest Palace Music. Superwolf is one I never really liked, otherwise the are all of a pretty high standard.

Bjorn
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thanks Bjorn!

This weekend after going through a box of old LP's in a pawnshop, I walked out with a Jamaican copy of Burning Spear's 'Fittest of the fittest'.

Didn't expect all that much from a Burning Spear record as late as 1983, and a label said "slight crackle". The vinyl looked distinctly Jamaican, with tiny craters on the surface. But it was only 7€.

Now I'm listening to it and it ROCKS!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thom Yorke - The Eraser

Bought it today on vinyl. The record is heavy but looks quite bad, although it's brand new. I find a lot of today's vinyl to be like that. The edge is terribly rough as well.

But it sounds fabulous.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Tony Tune-age wrote:
Tony Tune-age wrote:
Just placed an order for the new version of "In The Court of the Crimson King :!: " Hopefully it will sound very good musically... 8)
My order was canceled, apparently the orders are larger than availability. Found another source and placed another order, which will be delivered either before Christmas or after Christmas :!: "In The Court of the Crimson King" must be very popular :!:
Tony Tune-age
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

lejonklou wrote:
Charlie1 wrote:Couldn't help but include one with [my daughter] sleeping through 'The Colour of Spring'
This is a quote from one of Charlie's posts in his personal 'Top Heavy System' topic. I think I missed it back when it was posted, but found it now and had to put the record on.

This was the first album I bought by Talk Talk, after having heard the song 'It's my life' from their previous album. I really loved 'The Colour of Spring' and continue to do so today.

I have run into a couple of Talk Talk fans over the years. It has turned out that people either have never heard of them (99%) or know who they are and just love their albums (1%). I certainly belong to the latter and fully embrace everything from their early pop years to the heart breaking, minimalistic (and sometimes referred to as "experimental", whatever that means) last album 'Laughing Stock'.

Anyone care to comment on Mark Hollis self titled album from 1998?
Finally got 'Spirit of Eden' for just £15 incl shipping on eBay. I don't think it had ever been played and had a label saying 'Manufacturers Copy - Not for Sale' on it.

I've been enjoying it each evening this week. Suits my current mood as I'm knackered. Bit more spartan/sombre than 'Colour of Spring'. Good though.

Is 'Laughing Stock' really that good - sounds like a must have LP? I thought it was Spirit of Eden that was going for silly money, but maybe I got confused and it's this one.
lejonklou wrote:Thom Yorke - The Eraser
Bought it today on vinyl. The record is heavy but looks quite bad, although it's brand new. I find a lot of today's vinyl to be like that. The edge is terribly rough as well.
Do you still like this? Might get it for Xmas, although probably a bit late now. Is it similar to 'In Rainbows' or quite different?
lejonklou wrote:Thanks for the Elbow tip! I like it!

If you're still enjoying 'Cast of Thousands', then you might like their debut 'Asleep at the Back'. Has one of their best tracks called 'Newborn'. :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6teAV0cvv8
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Cool that you found it eventually, Charlie!

Laughing Stock is taking the music another step away from Colour of Spring, if you understand what I mean. Not sure if I like it more than Spirit of Eden. A friend of mine says he finds it unbearable, as if they're about to fall apart, break into pieces. It also became their last album, so there might be some truth in it.

I still haven't heard In Rainbows, so I can't comment on that. But I like the Eraser very much.

Will definitely check out the Elbow debut album, thanks!
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

At the moment I keep listening to Keith Jarrett's "The Köln Concert" in 24 bit studio master format. Something very magical about this recording, IMHO.

Downloaded from HD Tracks, where you have to use PayPal in order to be able to download if outside of the US.
Last edited by rowlandhills on 2010-12-21 09:59, edited 1 time in total.
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
Silvers, K400, Hutter rack
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Just received two new LPs last week that both look promising. The first is "The Union" by Elton John and Leon Russell. I have only listened to one of the two LPs in this album but so far it is excellent. The Leon Russell tunes are just great and Elton sounds like he did when he was doing some of his best work. With the album produced by T. Bone Burnett, who also plays on the album with a number of other fine musicians, this is a good sounding and musically wonderful album. I excpect several Grammys are likely for this one.

The other album I haven't listened to yet but it is an ambient music album titled "Metallic Spheres" by The Orb featuring the guitar work of David Gilmour on much of it. While I haven't had time to listen to the LP yet I did sample much of the music online and it sounds like it should be a good one too.

More new vinyl coming in this week so I'll have plenty of good listening to start the new year.

By the way "The Köln Concert" is one of my all time favorite albums. It would definitely bon my list of "10 desert island discs". A mesmerizingly musical journey of exquisite beauty.
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

Interesting what you say about "The Union". That one's on HDTracks too, in 24/96. Downloading it now...

:)
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
Silvers, K400, Hutter rack
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

lejonklou wrote:Will definitely check out the Elbow debut album, thanks!
New single to be released in March if fancy a listen:
http://www.buildarocketboys.com/
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Tony Tune-age wrote:
Tony Tune-age wrote:
Well, the new 200 gram release of "In The Court of the Crimson King" was finally shipped to my house yesterday. It does sound very nice indeed, and we'll compare an original 1969 recording with this new version :!:
Tony Tune-age
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

This one has caught me almost as hard as 'Horses':

I Am Goodbye
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

ThomasOK wrote:Just received two new LPs last week that both look promising. The first is "The Union" by Elton John and Leon Russell. I have only listened to one of the two LPs in this album but so far it is excellent. The Leon Russell tunes are just great and Elton sounds like he did when he was doing some of his best work. With the album produced by T. Bone Burnett, who also plays on the album with a number of other fine musicians, this is a good sounding and musically wonderful album. I excpect several Grammys are likely for this one.
I can second Thomas' enthusiasm for this album. Not often I instantly take to something I've never heard before, but certainly did with this.
ThomasOK wrote:By the way "The Köln Concert" is one of my all time favorite albums. It would definitely bon my list of "10 desert island discs". A mesmerizingly musical journey of exquisite beauty.
Sorry if Leo recommended this to me ages ago when I was trying to get into Jazz, but I listened the other day on YouTube and 'Wow, I loved it!' Even the awful sound couldn't get in the way and I kept listening for about 20-30minutes not wanting to stop. Never ever done that before with a YouTube recording.

So, my normal supplier is currently sold out of the ECM recording new. It's not an audiophile release so I am not totally put off and wonder if anyone has heard it. Otherwise, I'll get a copy from the 70s 2nd hand.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I bought mine new in the 70s and am quite happy with the quality. ECM was pressing a lot of good stuff back then and the record surfaces were good too. Unfortunately, they were also one of the early adopters of digital recording so I stopped buying much of their stuff in the 80s.

Another really good ECM record from that period is The Colours of Chloe by Eberhard Weber. It is a really fine album with a lot of interesting mellow jazz on it. Side two is enough to blow your mind - it is all one track but when I first heard it on the radio I was ready to call in and ask what those wonderful last five pieces of music were only to have the announcer say it was all the same piece!
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

ThomasOK wrote: Side two is enough to blow your mind - it is all one track but when I first heard it on the radio I was ready to call in and ask what those wonderful last five pieces of music were only to have the announcer say it was all the same piece!
Thanks for the response Thomas and recommendation. I'll check it out on YouTube!

All this makes me a bit sad really. I remember as a teenager first discovering 25 years worth of rock and pop music that such experiences were common. Just the Beatles, Stones, Van Morrison and Neil Young alone was enough to provide plenty of thrills and cherished discoveries as I searched through their back catalog of 60s and early 70s work. Now it's just a case of waiting for something new to press all the right buttons or finding something that slipped through the net. But never again will there be such rich pickings :( That's one reason I tried to get into jazz and classic a couple of years back, but very little has really moved me.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

There are times I've thought that it is just all the "baby boomers" and those close to that age getting nostalgic, but I'm getting more and more evidence that it is not the case. One of the guys at the store just sold a Rega RP1 to a lovely lady in her early 20s. She really loves vinyl and wanted to get her first real decent turntable to play it on (and a good choice it was). As she was waiting to pick up the table while it was being fine-tuned she started talking about music. How much she likes Howlin' Wolf and how almost all her favorite music comes from the 60s and 70s.

My daughter really got into Led Zeppelin, King Crimson and Jimi Hendrix when she started really listening to them in her late teens and early 20s and played them along with NIN, Soundgarden, Nirvana, etc. My 17 year old stepson listens to Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, etc. more than he does most current music. My niece graduated last summer. She thought the Stones concert she went to was one of the best things she ever saw and still thought Mick Jagger was hot! At her graduation she had music playing all the time from an iPod. She created the playlist and about 80% of the music was from the 60s and early 70s. At the party I also put a new cartridge into her mother's long unused Rega P2 which she had taken over to start playing vinyl.

All this evidence does seem to indicate that the 60s and 70s really were a golden time in music making. I believe this was also true for jazz as a lot of really good jazz was being created then and IMHO faded a bit after that. I'd also include the 50s in this especially in the world of jazz but it does appear that the the Muses were definitely working overtime during these decades.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Yes, maybe you’re right and it's compounded by modern rock/pop artists not being able to match the heyday. Mind you, until the early/mid-90s, I felt that rock was pretty much dying out, at least here in the UK where dance music had ruled for a number of years. It’s had a bit of resurgence along with vinyl.

I made an ebay offer on a 70s pressing BTW. It was accepted so looking forward to getting that soon. Doubt it’s a first pressing, but if I can enjoy YouTube then anything should be fine :)