Moderator: Staff

beck
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Playlist

Post by beck »

Lovely music maffe.

Kaos has special taste in music.

About Linn: it is easy to understand why Linn stopped making Akudoriks passive. They are too good and would easily compete with Linn’s more expensive active solutions (exact included) I think! :-)

Yes, I know it was a supply thing that made them stop it.......according to Linn.......
Playing cd’s…………
kampak

Post by kampak »

wow, kaos has very good taste in music.
the timing is also good, frank would have celebrated his 80th today...now we all have to do it without him.
sadly one day is notnenough to play all my Zappa vinyl... would have been fun
...but I do what I can today / right now playing „Grand Wazoo“
Linn-Lejonklou-Kudos
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

@kompak: I´ll have a Zappa evening at X-mas when my wife working :)

Today's theme was Jazz
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-XLW ... b-1280.mp4
Kaos was glued to me and did not mind me changing and turing records for over 3h!
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

maffe wrote: 2020-12-22 17:27 @kompak: I´ll have a Zappa evening at X-mas when my wife working :)

Today's theme was Jazz
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-XLW ... b-1280.mp4
Kaos was glued to me and did not mind me changing and turing records for over 3h!
Your system sounds great maffe! Do you have something that could fit into my Christmas thread?
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

+1

Not a major cat fan but I like that one. I sometimes wonder what animals make of music - does it even register as something more meaningful than just another noise?

Do I spot a spare Ikea chopping board if needed on Xmas day? :D
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

I've found the limit of my system.

My family refuse to submit to an entire album of this:
IMG_20201227_121759146.jpg
Is there any way that the wall of feedback can ever sound anything other than harsh?

I have to turn down the volume to enjoy the music hiding behind the noise
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

They wrote some really good tunes.

Not played it in ages. Will have to give it a spin when the family is out walking the dog or something ;)
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Not on vinyl but gave it a 'spin' on Spotify... Sorry to report, I didn't make it to the last track either - "harsh" is a fitting description; not much music coming through :/
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

I probably haven't played Psychocandy for at least 20 years, but it's spinning now and I'm enjoying it very much. Such fantastic tunes! If you think the record is hard to listen to, you should have heard them live around 1985. My ears kept ringing for 3 days afterwards... Fortunately their gigs only lasted about 25-30 minutes at that time.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Tendaberry wrote: 2020-12-29 15:34 Fortunately their gigs only lasted about 25-30 minutes at that time.
Never saw them live. What was the reaction when they buggered off after half an hour?!

I do prefer Darklands but it's a totally different sound - none of the feedback tokenbrit.

Odd how dreary and miserable music like this never makes me feel miserable. The Cure, Depeche Mode, etc. are the same. I suppose there's usually a great melody or two shining through all the gloom.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Charlie1 wrote: 2020-12-31 00:21 I do prefer Darklands but it's a totally different sound - none of the feedback tokenbrit.
Thanks for that Charlie1 - much better :) Not feeling miserable either ;)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I was at a Porcupine Tree concert and Steven Wilson was talking to the audience. He said "You probably noticed I write melancholy music. Writing melancholy music makes me happy. Since you are all here and seem to be enjoying the concert I have to assume melancholy music makes you happy too." Considering some of the music I listen to, like King Crimson (also melancholy) and NIN (often downright angry) it is safe to assume such music makes me happy too. :-)
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

<thumbs up!>
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

Perhaps that is because we respond emotionally to the music more than the lyrics, and often the emotional response is not melancholy. I read an article recently that argued our labels for emotions are wrong or misleading, and we should talk about degrees of stress and arousal. Music is low stress, high arousal, in these terms. Melancholy doesn't feature.
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

Sisters of Mercy - Floodland
Joy Division - Closer

And yes Kaos, the cat, looks as gothic as only a black cat can😊
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Good shout.

Love the bass line to Lucretia

Few tracks from my youth come to my mind on this topic; Leave Me Alone by New Order, Perfect Circle by REM, Sinking by The Cure, and The Things You Said by DM.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

The LP12 Whisperer
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Great track. Great band :)

You might like this Tom as it's kind of prog rock (by a Norwegian band) and almost entirely melancholy from start to finish - difficult to find on vinyl now though...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp0C1DHmkzs

Another fav:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZw23sWlyG0
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Charlie1 wrote: 2020-12-31 00:21
Tendaberry wrote: 2020-12-29 15:34 Fortunately their gigs only lasted about 25-30 minutes at that time.
Never saw them live. What was the reaction when they buggered off after half an hour?!
I remember reading about the short gigs in the NME before, so I wasn't surprised. None of the other punters seemed to mind either. A short, but blissful blast of noise and feedback :-)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-01-04 13:13 Great track. Great band :)

You might like this Tom as it's kind of prog rock (by a Norwegian band) and almost entirely melancholy from start to finish - difficult to find on vinyl now though...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp0C1DHmkzs

Another fav:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZw23sWlyG0
Some interesting stuff there, Charlie1. The Airbag album sounds like they listened to Pink Floyd quite a bit. It also reminds me a lot of Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree, especially some of the pieces they did that were Pink Floyd inspired. Overall not bad. It does appear to be unobtanium on vinyl and is even rather expensive on CD.
The LP12 Whisperer
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-01-06 18:56 Some interesting stuff there, Charlie1. The Airbag album sounds like they listened to Pink Floyd quite a bit. It also reminds me a lot of Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree, especially some of the pieces they did that were Pink Floyd inspired. Overall not bad. It does appear to be unobtanium on vinyl and is even rather expensive on CD.
I seem to struggle to identify prog rock when I hear it. I never thought that the Airbag LP sounds anything like Floyd or even Porcupine Tree (only got Signify) but glad you quite enjoyed it anyway.

Are you into PG Genesis as well then? I bought most of their early albums about 18 months ago, played a couple, but seriously lacking motivation to go back to them :(
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I like Peter Gabriel a lot, especially the later solo work, but I didn't get as heavily into the early Genesis stuff.

As to Airbag, listen to the end at around 52 minutes on and compare it to this Pink Floyd track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAwZxLP ... 9G&index=9

For Porcupine Tree, I'd compare it to the first two tracks on the Airbag album, although their whole album has a similar feel to this (one of my favorite tracks): (Not that I would put Airbag in the same league with Pink Floyd or Porcupine Tree.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3lsqUqGTzM

I'm also thinking the title "Arriving Somewhere But Not Here" is rather resonant, especially after yesterday.
Considering the chorus:
"All my designs, simplified
And all of my plans, compromised
All of my dreams, sacrificed"
I think you could say this fits the melancholy theme.
The LP12 Whisperer
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Yes, I hear the similarities now - close indeed. Ha. And I like that live Porcupine Tree track.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

As I mentioned that is one of my favorite pieces of theirs. It is originally from Deadwing, which I feel is one of their two best albums along with In Absentia.
The LP12 Whisperer