Beck and his black boxes.

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

beck
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Beck and his black boxes.

Post by beck »

Last edited by beck on 2023-04-26 17:32, edited 2 times in total.
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I am enjoying F even more.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

beck wrote: 2023-04-26 17:25 I thought I had finished but small changes brings me to this:

F) https://www.dropbox.com/s/wsc10rklnzzc7 ... 5.mov?dl=0

F2) https://www.dropbox.com/s/jkuax0e3htyju ... 2.mov?dl=0
When you said that you were at your journeys end, I really wanted to say that us audiophile’s are like a donkey chasing a carrot on a stick! Perfection is so close, yet so far!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

F2 sounds completely different to F. I think that's the biggest change you've ever made!

As to "done with your system", famous last words!
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

ThomasOK wrote: 2023-04-26 23:21 F2 sounds completely different to F. I think that's the biggest change you've ever made!

As to "done with your system", famous last words!
:-)
Playing cd’s…………
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Playing cd’s…………
Whatsmynaim

Post by Whatsmynaim »

I know this isn't about voting and such but G & G2 is better than F & F2. It's more music and also sounds cleaner :)
Last edited by Whatsmynaim on 2023-04-30 18:17, edited 1 time in total.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

just a feeling but I think I can slightly better follow the different text/voices to the end of the clip with G2 compared to F2
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Whatsmynaim wrote: 2023-04-30 14:30 I know this isn't about voting and such but G & G2 is better than F & F2. It's more music and also sounds cleaner :)
Defender wrote: 2023-04-30 17:54 just a feeling but I think I can slightly better follow the different text/voices to the end of the clip with G2 compared to F2
Thank you both for commenting on my clips even if I did not call for it. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I only tried the 2 clips gut I also find that G2 just seems to sort out the voices, and the instrumentation even though it is sparse, better than F2. Very nice.
The LP12 Whisperer
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

I haven’t compared these latest clips to any earlier ones, but they both sound pleasantly musical to my ears!
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Thank you ThomasOK and Spannko for your comments.

You may laugh :-) but I am at the finish line just making miniscule changes hopefully for the better.

H) https://www.dropbox.com/s/i4j5lifgd39c7 ... 1.mov?dl=0

H2) https://www.dropbox.com/s/p2fllyitb05p2 ... 2.mov?dl=0
Playing cd’s…………
Whatsmynaim

Post by Whatsmynaim »

H & H2 is better than G & G2.
With H & H2 I hear more of what's going on in the music and all the different instrumental fills has more purpose.
Last edited by Whatsmynaim on 2023-05-03 21:31, edited 1 time in total.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I was about to tell you that G2 was better than H2 until I noticed I got them backwards. I listened to both H and H2 compared to their G versions and I would definitely rather listen to the H versions. I could have kept listening to Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme for as long as the song lasted if the whole thing was there. Very enjoyable.
The LP12 Whisperer
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Whatsmynaim wrote: 2023-05-03 14:54 H & H2 is better than G & G2.
With H & H2 I hear more of what's going on in the music and all the different instrumental fills has more purpose.
ThomasOK wrote: 2023-05-03 19:09 I was about to tell you that G2 was better than H2 until I noticed I got them backwards. I listened to both H and H2 compared to their G versions and I would definitely rather listen to the H versions. I could have kept listening to Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme for as long as the song lasted if the whole thing was there. Very enjoyable.
Thank you both!

When I started with my CD player I did not know if it was possible to make it enjoyable. But now I have reached a tuneful outcome. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Bit late to the after hours shut in. I prefer G to F for sure. I then preferred G to H but having listened again I changed my mind and now prefer H.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Charlie1 wrote: 2023-05-04 07:51 Bit late to the after hours shut in. I prefer G to F for sure. I then preferred G to H but having listened again I changed my mind and now prefer H.
Thank you Charlie1.

Listening to the full! Beatles “Magical Mystery Tour” album for the second time in a row on CD! I just have to thank everyone on this forum.

What a tour………. A Magical Mystery Tour! :-)
Last edited by beck on 2023-05-12 14:34, edited 1 time in total.
Playing cd’s…………
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

It is indeed sounding pretty musical, Beck. I certainly wouldn't have expected you could get that much music out of a C542. Good work.
The LP12 Whisperer
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

ThomasOK wrote: 2023-05-05 16:08 It is indeed sounding pretty musical, Beck. I certainly wouldn't have expected you could get that much music out of a C542. Good work.
Thank you Thomas. :-)

I am still trying to push it even further………….
Playing cd’s…………
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Playing cd’s…………
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Status of my system:

In my Sondek days I had a slight problem with the deep bass. It turned out to be a wrongly adjusted front left spike in my stand.

This resulted in many wrong turns with “Blu Tack” and more when using my CD player.

Now my setup is simple. No “Blu Tack”. No use of power conditioners. Even when using them very carefully they corrupt the music though making the “sound” nice.

The only thing I have found helpful is felt.

Music from CD is so enjoyable now. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I is sounding really nice! PSR&T is definitely more musical and enjoyable on I compared to H. Very good. Blu Tack is great for holding a cartridge onto the platen of my microscope, but for damping Hi-Fi gear generally not a good idea.
The LP12 Whisperer
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

ThomasOK wrote: 2023-05-12 17:02 I is sounding really nice! PSR&T is definitely more musical and enjoyable on I compared to H. Very good. Blu Tack is great for holding a cartridge onto the platen of my microscope, but for damping Hi-Fi gear generally not a good idea.
Thank you for listening Thomas. I agree…….

…….. though something annoyed me with my setup and I) recordings. I had a feeling something was wrong. It turned out to be a Nintendo charger in a nearby socket! :-)

Removing it brought new findings. I have to revisit my Black/Silver interconnect comparison.

For the first time using my system I am enjoying my Silvers immensely……..
Playing cd’s…………
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

You’ve raised an important issue here beck: if we’re not really careful, just one slight misjudgment can lead us right down the garden path and we don’t even notice until we find ourselves surrounded by weeds! I don’t know anyone who hasn’t done this at one time or another.

I wonder if it would be helpful to have a setup guide to ensure a minimum standard of musical performance for the absolute minimum cost, and which are readily available, with recommendations for upgrades for those who would like to take their systems a bit further?

For example, 2 x Class Olsen (or Masterplug in the UK) power strips/Ikea Lack/Linn Black interconnects/Linn K20+Deltron plugs as an absolute minimum, with stepped upgrades for each category.

Fredrik’s Källa setup guide could be used as a model, and updated when new genuine upgrades are discovered.
Last edited by Spannko on 2023-05-13 14:21, edited 1 time in total.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Spannko wrote: 2023-05-13 12:32 You’ve raised an important issue here beck: if we’re not really careful, just one slight misjudgment can lead us right down the garden path and we don’t even notice until we find ourselves surrounded by weeds! I don’t know anyone who hasn’t done this at one time or another.
I fully agree! :-)
Spannko wrote: 2023-05-13 12:32
I wonder if it would be helpful to have a setup guide to ensure a minimum standard of musical performance for the absolute minimum cost, and which are readily available, with recommendations for upgrades for those who would like to take their systems a bit further?

For example, 2 x Class Olsen (or Microconnect in the UK) power strips/Ikea Lack/Linn Black interconnects/Linn K20+Deltron plugs as an absolute minimum, with stepped upgrades for each category.

Fredrik’s Källa setup guide could be used as a model, and updated when new genuine upgrades are discovered.
A good idea indeed.
Playing cd’s…………