Beck and his black boxes.

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

beck
Very active member
Very active member

Beck and his black boxes.

Post by beck »

Partly bought second hand I really like what I have now and listen to it as often as I can. I have used a lot of time over the years optimising it (earthing, filtering the power, how to place the power cords and doing other things.

Two things I am dead serious about when choosing equipment to my setup is the natural relation between notes and it has to get my head nodding without me thinking about it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by beck on 2016-11-04 08:37, edited 4 times in total.
Playing cd’s…………
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Beck and his black boxes.

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Thanks for sharing your system with us. It's great when you connect with the music in a way that that makes you want to keep listening and listening. I'll post updated pictures myself soon.
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Yes, I have made my choice and will pursue the road of tune and "boogie" factor nodding my head to the beat (I cannot help it) and when the record reaches the end I will look up with a smile on my face thinking "what happened here, already finished?", going back to my Sondek to put on a new piece of vinyl starting all over again! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Nice system Beck. You can't beat the understated look of LK components. And glad you're getting so much enjoyment from your system. You still playing 'Wings at the Speed of Sound' once in a while? :) That's a great recording and very tuneful bass which I know we both love.

Your speakers look a little close together. Have you tried them a bit further apart at all, or is it not practical?
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

What you cannot see in the picture is the furniture on the left and the right side of the system making it impossible to bring the speakers further apart.
The system is standing in my bedroom. By my efforts and some luck it just sounds fabulous like this.
I am sorry that I don't know the record you have mentioned. I am sure it is great.

The last couple of days I have been playing a record that just makes me want to party all night (normally not that kind of person).

And you may laugh now! It was "Introspective" with Pet Shop Boys. Not in any way a great recording but the pace and the slam from all the artificial keyboard sound just hit me hard. I just had to turn the volume way up!
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Sorry thought 'Let Em In' was a track you really like.

Totally understand ref shortage of space. been there too.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Oh, I misread your post! Yes, "Let em In" is a great track!

In a week I have to move house so I cross my fingers wishing that I will get my system singing at the new place!
Playing cd’s…………
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I have now moved to my new house for the next half year while the old place gets rebuild from the ground up. The new place is a house like the old one with the same rooms and I placed my system in the same bedroom at the same spot.
For a couple of days I listened and could not get the kind of sound I got in the old house.
Then yesterday after listening for a while I almost fell asleep and suddenly like turning on the lights the sound was back.
What joy! Finally the electrons found the right path and I am happy.
image.jpg
Right now I listen to Mahlers 2. 1. movement. It is sheer bliss!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Playing cd’s…………
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Having listened all day long it is clear to me that I have made the right move by reaching back to the "old" Linn sound. It gives me a more narrow soundfield where notes gets reinforced by each other and giving the bass drum the right kick and a snare drum that "snares" at you. It is a sound that can be felt in my body.
The timing is making my head move all the time and if I try to stop I have to concentrate not to start again. Happy me!
Playing cd’s…………
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

The time I have spent on this forum has been well worth it. I now have a much better sounding system and with not a penny spent. Following Ron The Mons advice I have used fleece under my loudspeaker cables and under my Lingo/Linto and LK100. Also I have taken some weight of the "back" of my Klyde. Have a look and a listen below.

Link removed
Last edited by beck on 2016-06-04 15:15, edited 1 time in total.
Playing cd’s…………
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I have to say that it sounds quite good. It would be really nice if there was a B selection without the fleece to compare it to.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Sounds great Beck. A well set-up LP12 always seems to love ELO for some reason. I love that album. It was very much the sound track of my early years and definitely their best for me. I particularly love the last track on each side and the way they round off each side so well.

I must have missed the fleece tip. I will read back through.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I will try to make some clips to compare in the playground tread later when I know for sure it is fleece I am using! Yes, ELO is also the sound of my youth and nice to see that he is still going strong at the age of 68 filling the O2 in London four nights in a row.

Regarding Ron The Mons advice look in the tread "My new system" by JSL.

I actually misread Rons advice about fleece and system components. He said that it could be a good idea to place ones amps on an mdf plate with fleece underneath when placed on a wooden floor. I think my use of it works in my situation because of some bass resonance being filtered out between the speakers.

P.S. The recording above is taken with my system playing at full blast!
Playing cd’s…………
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

With my system as it is now it does not get much better than the following recording. Jeff Lynne together with Tom Petty wrote the song "Blown away" from the album "Armchair Theatre". So much emotion coming through to the listener. Danish Mette Mathiesen from the danish group Miss B Haven is playing drums Ringo style!

Link removed

This is not an audiophile recording just good old analog done like in the old days. My copy is the original. Later versions have been digitally remastered.
Last edited by beck on 2016-12-22 11:55, edited 3 times in total.
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I'm getting that connection Beck. Sounds really good and you clearly have great value for money in that set-up. Weird how it comes through despite being recorded on your phone. At least that's how it seems to me.

I also like it very much. It's not common on vinyl as I recall and took me a while to track down.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

My latest record "Naked Music" deserves a presentation as it is a very lovely analog recording. This dropbox file does not do justice to the real thing but have a listen anyway. Ignore the wifes brunch party in the background

Link removed

Use headphones. Phone/tablet speakers do not agree with the Rhodes Piano.
Last edited by beck on 2016-06-19 19:33, edited 4 times in total.
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

beck wrote:My latest record "Naked Music" deserves a presentation as it is a very lovely analog recording. This dropbox file does not do justice to the real thing but have a listen anyway. Ignore the wifes brunch party in the background! :-)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/scee8btvd9drw ... 1.MOV?dl=0

Use headphones. Phone/tablet speakers do not agree with the Rhodes Piano.
I do like that track and it communicates really well even via the clip. My over ear headphones struggle a bit with the Rhodes piano too.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

beck wrote:Yes, ELO is also the sound of my youth.
You might find this short story interesting about the mastering:
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/k ... l-o.19248/

Sorry it's off topic.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Charlie1 wrote:
beck wrote:Yes, ELO is also the sound of my youth.
You might find this short story interesting about the mastering:
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/k ... l-o.19248/

Sorry it's off topic.
Great story. Thank you! Now I have to listen to it again. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Just the latest setup of my little system exemplified by clips. Enjoy.

Links removed
Last edited by beck on 2017-02-10 19:41, edited 2 times in total.
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

They all sound great. Some fine jazz playing in the first clip.

Your system always comes across very well balanced and listenable. Is that how you find it?

My eldest thought Mr Cohen was Darth Vader singing. I told her that Darth's not well known for his singing.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Charlie1 wrote:They all sound great. Some fine jazz playing in the first clip.

Your system always comes across very well balanced and listenable. Is that how you find it?

My eldest thought Mr Cohen was Darth Vader singing. I told her that Darth's not well known for his singing.
. :-)

I would discribe it as a good version of Linn black interconnect sound! :-) Direct, PA-like and balanced but I am not good at using words to discribe sound.

My room is a bit "bassy" so not the best for making good clips.

With my setup getting better and better it is almost like finding the accurate "aim" where everything comes through unhindered.
Playing cd’s…………
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

For those who has followed and listened to my clips from the start some might have gotten the impression that I am running round in cirkles. Nothing could be more wrong.
When I started making clips in here playing at full volume could be annoying with a lot of "white noise" in the sound. Now that noise is totally gone and playing at full volume is the rule. I have kept the main ingredients in the sound but refined the tunefulness to the point where it reminds me of live music.
When I listen to music now I never think about the sound. It is a blessing.

Links removed
Last edited by beck on 2017-03-01 08:39, edited 1 time in total.
Playing cd’s…………
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

This is by far the most tuneful piece of equipment I have owned to date and bought for less than the price of a Lejonklou Boazu! You may congratulate me. :-)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n5qaeinctv0vy ... 6.jpg?dl=0
Playing cd’s…………
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Looking at the pic a few post up, still having the speaker that close to each other?
How big is the room?
A pic from distance would be great so we can help with options regarding the placements :)
(in front of another wall perhaps?)
It's all about musical understanding!