Charlie1's System

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Charlie1's System

Post by Spannko »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-09-24 09:42 Must have put several more hours on it but it's a slow process.

Switched to the 32.5/160 cos I know it's musically sound especially at the lower volume used in these clips. It's softer/warmer sound isn't ideal but will do.

I think it's literally just started to wake up with this LP - or is it no good?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rnrdj6z1pm9ae ... 4.mp4?dl=0

I still feel it's not there yet, but it's hard to be sure now. Strangely, it's the clips on my laptop screen that seem most effected and boring.

I'm using 'K' cards which I assume is correct for the Karma - clue in the name perhaps?
This is an easier listen, but still not great tbh charlie1. Sorry 😟
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-09-24 13:10 OK, all is now as it should be. 42.5/110 is playing music again and Kans are doing what Kans do. Maybe it will improve but this is fine. Last clip...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2wwnu8s5rkn8c ... 5.mp4?dl=0
The sound is getting better, but musically it’s still a bit pants!
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

😀

I kan enjoy the music now but agree it's a bit messy. I think recordings made on an iPhone are more tuneful and consistent. Recordings on the Samsung seem to fall apart below a certain threshold. What I'm saying is that it's not as bad in the room. Still not where it should be but not as far off as the clips suggest.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-09-26 16:34 😀

I kan enjoy the music now but agree it's a bit messy. I think recordings made on an iPhone are more tuneful and consistent. Recordings on the Samsung seem to fall apart below a certain threshold. What I'm saying is that it's not as bad in the room. Still not where it should be but not as far off as the clips suggest.
I agree that your Samsung recordings to my ears fall short compared to the iPhone/iPad recordings regarding the tunefulness of the recordings.
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Spannko wrote: 2021-09-26 00:04 The sound is getting better, but musically it’s still a bit pants!
I was curious how far it is from the Lingo/Ekos/Troika deck.

Here's a new clip, first 30 secs is Valhalla/Ittok/Karma, then it's Lingo/Ekos/Troika:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f5cxzul5hppsm ... 2.mp4?dl=0

Clearly the Lingo deck is better, but what do folks think now? I suppose I'm trying to gauge if there's something fundamentally wrong with this Karma.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I do not hear anything wrong with the Karma listening to your latest clip. Maybe it has a sound that is less ideal together with Kans than with Sara’s or Isobariks?
Playing cd’s…………
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Charlie1,
TBH, it’s really hard to know what’s going on here. The Lingo/Ekos/Troika, even without comparing to anything else, has good musicality. However, the Valhalla/Ittok/Karma deck, without comparing, sounds off. The problem is that the Lingo and Ekos are fundamental improvements to a cartridges ability to perform to the best of its ability, so the outcome isn’t surprising, but, like you, I do wonder if the difference between the two decks are greater than one would expect?
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks both.

Firstly, I think Tom is right and the Karma bass is not very good played through the Kan or Sara system. It did seem ok with the Briks but then Brik bass is always well controlled.

I think the Karma is OK but that's about it. Midrange is nice and can be involving, especially ballads. At first I thought it sounded better in the Sara system but I think it's just that the 32.5/160 is more musical than the 42.5/110.

Dunno. Just keep spinning records and trying different things I guess.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Late to the party ... :-(

But I read what other write ...

Just as a proposal ... if it is ok ... Is it possible to Re - Torque / Adjust / Build "from zero" both TT? Maybe there is something ...
Music First ...
Vlado
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Hi Vlado,
I re-checked the anti-skate and counterweight by ear (twice) and I'm happy with it
Here's the Sara system. It's weird in that it sounded very enjoyable in the room and I listened to the clip and thought OK. Then, I went back to the clip and thought it sounded laboured, but then I listened again later and thought, it was fine so I really don't know. It's like I'm using different parts of my brain each time I listen back.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/593vbyc4ignif ... 9.mp4?dl=0
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-09-28 17:21 Hi Vlado,
I re-checked the anti-skate and counterweight by ear (twice) and I'm happy with it
Here's the Sara system. It's weird in that it sounded very enjoyable in the room and I listened to the clip and thought OK. Then, I went back to the clip and thought it sounded laboured, but then I listened again later and thought, it was fine so I really don't know. It's like I'm using different parts of my brain each time I listen back.
Hmmm .....
In witch part of day you get different result ... where you live in residential area or you have industry close ...
You know what I mean ... Quality of AC in different part of day (we discus that issue here). Morning, noon, afternoon can be very bad for Music ... when industry is working and evening and late evening can be excellent ...
I just guess what can be ... or system of elimination ...
Edited / PS: Sara sounds ... excellent ...
Music First ...
Vlado
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

That one's not really doing much for me.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

V.A.MKD wrote: 2021-09-28 18:04 Hmmm .....
In witch part of day you get different result ... where you live in residential area or you have industry close ...
You know what I mean ... Quality of AC in different part of day (we discus that issue here). Morning, noon, afternoon can be very bad for Music ... when industry is working and evening and late evening can be excellent ...
Just on my phone having made the recording, so definitely nothing mains related. Sorry, I wasn't very clear.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-09-28 18:16 That one's not really doing much for me.
Thanks for listening Tom and feeding back.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

OK, I will just keep using it for now but suspect I will return to a vm95e. It does some nice things, for my ears at least, but is always a bit slow and laboured. It's a strange fruit(box) indeed.

I don't have the pockets or patience to try a Dynavector so that's that. I could try another GR Troika but since the Karma is reputed to be so close, I can't guarantee getting another Troika that sounds like the one I already have. Shame cos two MCs would be nice as neither deck gets used like the office one does.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

It does seem to be getting a bit bogged down... as if the grease is a bit too thick, sadly :/
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

If I'm honest, I can't get anything in that room to sound as good as it used to. Can't blame the power and more people charging their cars cos the office sounds great, for what it is anyway. The bedroom is fine too, although the Troika deck is less tuneful to my ears. This is the best I can get although not tried the Adikt deck.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tlddpo2p7jo32 ... 1.mp4?dl=0
Last edited by Charlie1 on 2021-09-29 14:09, edited 2 times in total.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-09-29 13:30 If I'm honest, I can't get anything in that room to sound as good as it used to. Can't blame the power and more people charging their cars cos the office sounds great, for what it is anyway. The bedroom is fine too, although the Troika deck is less tuneful to my ears. This is the best I can get although not tried the Adikt deck...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tlddpo2p7jo32 ... 1.mp4?dl=0
The beat is pacier, but now the vocals seem to be dragging a bit - dare I say it, a bit lacking in... life :/
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I like the Adikt deck better. The first one is only OK.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Interesting comparison: I actually quite like the clarity of the GrKarma, but I also like the impetus of the Adikt - tonally I prefer the GrKarma, With the Adikt deck as a reference, I think the GrKarma deck has something... It's at least oK; maybe still finding it's way a bit in this life or Goldring reincarnation, but there's more good than bad, at least to my ears.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks gents. I agree with both your comments and it's very useful to know what you're both hearing.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

My thoughts are similar to tokenbrit’s. Have you tried the Adikt on the Lingo/Ekos deck?
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

The Adikt is on an identical Ekos/Lingo deck, albeit with black ash plinth. Same person even assembled the Ekos.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

The study was never being used that much and now the kids are older, I can promote the system to the living room. Solid concrete floor with carpet. External rather than internal rear wall.

L2 now cos not 100% sure the CB amps play nicely with the L1 even with filter removed.

Kan stands just plonked for now

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lr4wq97tksk9x ... 6.mp4?dl=0
Last edited by Charlie1 on 2021-09-30 10:12, edited 2 times in total.