Charlie1's System

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Clark wrote:Reading from your experimentation here Charlie, I have recently decided to complement my current setup (Majik DS-I, K200, 109s) with a second hand Akurate 4200/D, and not with a Majik 6100/D.

I am having hopes that the Akurate amplification will provide me a slightly softer presentation over the single-boxed DS-I and attenuate some of the brightness I have been perceiving with some recordings in my current setup.
Hope it works out. What's your listening room like? Does it have carpet and many soft furnishings?
Clark

Post by Clark »

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you Charlie.

I have to admit that my plans have changed quite a bit throughout the past weeks. For a number of reasons I have decided to downsize back to a one-box solution, the Kiko DSM.

I consider the Kiko being a good match with my current needs, wants and apartment circumstances. In the end, setting up a system calling for speaker stands and possibly other dedicated components would require many changes to my room layout. Many of those changes and trade-offs are of that degree that I am not willing or able to implement at this point.

I guess it is more music and less fiddling around with the equipment for me as of now. On the other hand, when I am in the mood for what could be a more accurate and detailed representation of the recordings I like to listen, I can rely on my headphone setup.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Twice as good and to a similar cost as Kiko is Majik DSM and a pair of 109's. Connect with a 2.48 m pair of K200 if possible.

Headphones being more detailed I can imagine. But more accurate?
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Anybody heard Kiko sounding musical?
I havn't...
It's all about musical understanding!
Clark

Post by Clark »

The passive 109s weren't for me. Very tuneful though.

Exchanged my DS-I into a Majik DS which now performs as a great source for my headphone setup situated in the bedroom.

Kiko is handling the audiovisuals, its DSM mounted onto TV and other devices and its speakers placed on top of the TV stand. Occasional background listening.

Very satisfied with the recent arrangements.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Charlie1's System

Post by Charlie1 »

After a phenomenal amount of arsing around, I've finally finished the office and study systems. They will not be to everyone's taste, but they make me happy :) They are a long way from perfect, especially those Kan 1s, but they are right for me. And I certainly couldn't have got here without your help so thank you!
E
Office
LP12 (Valhalla, Ittok LVII, Adikt) > 12/BD160 > Isobariks -- the first clip is a retake of my first ever Brik clip over a year ago...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xcli9ez7s8kuc ... 8.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r4g1bsbg74fo1 ... 0.mp4?dl=0

Study
LP12 (Lingo 2, Ekos 2, Adikt) > 42.5/110 > Kan 1s -- MM phono boards need a service but that's all
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q24o3uccphu8x ... 3.mp4?dl=0

The bedroom system has been a pain for years and is a fair way off or I may just go budget and not worry about it. I'd like to find some nice Saras since Kans are too small but this could take a while. But hopefully there will be a significant drop off in playground postings from me although it would be great to hear more of your clips.
Last edited by Charlie1 on 2021-04-11 23:19, edited 3 times in total.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

The top Elton John clip just breaks my heart and the other two clips are lovely as well...........
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Great! - that's what we want :)
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

always impressed with your „against the mainstream“ approach - what I mean by that - I still remember the LP12 with Valhalla (or was it a Lingo) against the LP12 with Radikal comparison where I was impressed how close both have been together ... probably because of your black bearing. It really shows how much fun you can have with an early LP12 without spending all the money on upgrades
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Very true...(+1)
Defender wrote: 2021-04-02 15:19 always impressed with your „against the mainstream“ approach - what I mean by that - I still remember the LP12 with Valhalla (or was it a Lingo) against the LP12 with Radikal comparison where I was impressed how close both have been together ... probably because of your black bearing. It really shows how much fun you can have with an early LP12 without spending all the money on upgrades
Tony Tune-age
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks guys! Fun is a good word to use.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Arrived today and just connected straight up.

Most of the excitement is lost in the clip but here's a medley...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dkgoys75l3tw5 ... 3.mp4?dl=0

Just using Kan II stands but I have proper Sound Org ones to setup (maybe tomorrow).

Driven by 32.5/160 and Lingo1/Ekos2/Krystal LP12.

The 160 is be 'just' enough to me. What do others think? The CB160 is overly stop/starty with Kans and Tukans but these seem to soak all that up and make the amp sound more balanced.

EDIT:
And one for ELO fans :D
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b319toxemlmfg ... 7.mp4?dl=0
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Nice!! The energy is fantastic. Why did I sell my last pair?? They boogie like modern Linn speakers don't.

Reminds me that I've still got a pair of the one-piece crossovers somewhere.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks David. I didn't know you had a pair - thought it was only Kans from the old days.

Not heard of those - is that just the crossovers that were removed when converting to aktiv?

I still have a SNAPS. I wonder if the 160 needs a helping hand.
Last edited by Charlie1 on 2021-04-27 17:13, edited 1 time in total.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I really like what I am hearing. Maybe I am falling in love with Sara.............s! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Cool! :)

Anyone know how they are supposed to be positioned? ATM they are about 7cm from the rear wall.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

It sounds pretty darn good! Nice looking set of SARAs. There was a guy who swore the SARAs were the best speakers in the world. He played with things to prop them against the back wall and did various things to optimize the system. It was interesting to read. Then he bought a pair of Isobariks (which I had recommended a couple of times) and suddenly stopped talking about SARAs. But you have both and SARAs are still pretty nice, I think even better than we gave them credit for back in the day. I still have a pair of SARA stands, but I have too many speakers in the house already to consider picking up SARAs again.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-04-27 17:15 Cool! :)

Anyone know how they are supposed to be positioned? ATM they are about 7cm from the rear wall.
Back in the day I think we did pretty much the same as with Kans, as close as you could get without the banana plugs touching the back wall. But that was long ago. I'd probably start there and then try pulling them out a little at a time to see where they are most tuneful.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-04-27 17:15 Anyone know how they are supposed to be positioned? ATM they are about 7cm from the rear wall.
Same as Kans or Isobariks, as close to the solid rear wall as you can. Kan stands should be fine, except for the height.
Charlie1 wrote: 2021-04-27 17:10 Thanks David. I didn't know you had a pair - thought it was only Kans from the old days.

Not heard of those - is that just the crossovers that were removed when converting to aktiv?

I still have a SNAPS. I wonder if the 160 needs a helping hand.
I had an original square front cabinet pair in about 1981, driven by a 12S/250 and SNAPS clone. The Kans came after that when I downsized. Then about seven or eight years ago I refurbished a tatty active pair, and the Sara 9 crossovers were used externally so I could drive them passively. My (then) x100 amplifier was a bit lacking, and I sold them on to someone who had all the right Naim kit to power them actively. Now I've got Monos, it would be nice to try them again :)

Early Saras were reckoned to be even more demanding of the amplifier than Briks.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-04-27 17:19 Back in the day I think we did pretty much the same as with Kans, as close as you could get without the banana plugs touching the back wall. But that was long ago. I'd probably start there and then try pulling them out a little at a time to see where they are most tuneful.
Thanks Tom! Didn't realise Kan speaker cables should touch the rear wall. Will try your suggestion.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

David Neel wrote: 2021-04-27 17:35 I had an original square front cabinet pair in about 1981, driven by a 12S/250 and SNAPS clone. The Kans came after that when I downsized. Then about seven or eight years ago I refurbished a tatty active pair, and the Sara 9 crossovers were used externally so I could drive them passively. My (then) x100 amplifier was a bit lacking, and I sold them on to someone who had all the right Naim kit to power them actively. Now I've got Monos, it would be nice to try them again :)

Early Saras were reckoned to be even more demanding of the amplifier than Briks.
My memory must be poor but I didn't know you had 12/250 - Cool!

Well, I can always bring these up to see you to try out :)

The midrange in particular is really good. They suit 70s analogue recordings very well so not really got beyond that so far...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uuwclwgieij91 ... 8.mp4?dl=0
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

Back in the day we used these Naim bananas a lot, they are almost a perfect fit -perhaps a little tight sometimes- into the backs of Kans & Isobariks, I still use them today soldered onto my K-20 into both my Kans and Aktiv Briks to get them as close to the wall as possible neatly with no stress on the connector or wire. The part that slides into the speaker connector is very similar in make-up to a 4mm Super Deltron connector, but the part of the connector that you solder the wire to is basically a vertical slot in the end, well made.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rega P10, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

On early saras the XLR socket required the plug to enter horizontally, it was suggested that the metal case work was removed in order to get them closer to the wall.
Surprisingly removing the metal case improved the sound.
Later Sara's had a right angled socket, but most customers still removed the metal casing on The plug. The latest Sara's used 4mm sockets. Another upgrade at the time was to replace the wire running from an lk280 circuit board to the rear sockets with k20.
I remember a guy buying my naim 160 and I took it to him in Belsize park.
He lived in a high ceiling flat, and worked in a camera shop in Tottenham Court Rd
I was pleased to experience his Sara's combined with one of the best slides shows I'd ever witnessed. It transpired we were the same age and shared the same birthday, he was from New Zealand. It was a lovely memerable evening, i soon relaced my kans with Sara's, they did lack the speed of the kans but painted a fuller picture and grew on me. Kans and isobariks have more of a family sound, I found the Sara was the odd one out. They remained for some years until isobariks replaced them.
A while ago I had reason to try some again, sounded absolutely lovely using a kk and tundra, it brought back many good memories.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

tpetsch wrote: 2021-04-28 00:30 Back in the day we used these Naim bananas a lot, they are almost a perfect fit -perhaps a little tight sometimes- into the backs of Kans & Isobariks, I still use them today soldered onto my K-20 into both my Kans and Aktiv Briks to get them as close to the wall as possible neatly with no stress on the connector or wire. The part that slides into the speaker connector is very similar in make-up to a 4mm Super Deltron connector, but the part of the connector that you solder the wire to is basically a vertical slot in the end, well made.
Thanks tpetsch. My terminals aren't as long as the Linn Knekt ones but this would still be a much better option. Thanks.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

anthony wrote: 2021-04-28 05:19 On early saras the XLR socket required the plug to enter horizontally, it was suggested that the metal case work was removed in order to get them closer to the wall.
Surprisingly removing the metal case improved the sound.
Later Sara's had a right angled socket, but most customers still removed the metal casing on The plug. The latest Sara's used 4mm sockets. Another upgrade at the time was to replace the wire running from an lk280 circuit board to the rear sockets with k20.
I remember a guy buying my naim 160 and I took it to him in Belsize park.
He lived in a high ceiling flat, and worked in a camera shop in Tottenham Court Rd
I was pleased to experience his Sara's combined with one of the best slides shows I'd ever witnessed. It transpired we were the same age and shared the same birthday, he was from New Zealand. It was a lovely memerable evening, i soon relaced my kans with Sara's, they did lack the speed of the kans but painted a fuller picture and grew on me. Kans and isobariks have more of a family sound, I found the Sara was the odd one out. They remained for some years until isobariks replaced them.
A while ago I had reason to try some again, sounded absolutely lovely using a kk and tundra, it brought back many good memories.
Nice story - thanks Tony.

Yeah, I suppose they are slightly different to Kans/Briks although similar foot tapping spirit.

I tried them closer to the wall so that terminals were pushed against the wall and, as Tom said, this was worse. They are now about 6.5cm from the wall so I'll need Naim connectors to get them closer.