Charlie1's System

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

There is no hurry to make a decision, but not sure what to do here. On balance I'm currently leaning more towards the 109s as I can't see my enforced low volume listening habits will change much in the next few years. So the better musicality and ability to reveal greater subtlety in the music is more important at low volume and this is where the 109s are clearly, although not massively, superior.

I would really miss the bottom end and physical delivery of the music that the Ninkas offer though - on the rare occassions I get to turn up the volume. 109s are a bit 2 dimensional in this way - they get louder, but you altogether lose any feeling of the bass resonate through your whole body and that adds so much to the excitement and entertainment when playing music loud (especially rock music) and no tune dem superiority can ever make up for this to my mind.

So, anyone heard 140s with the new stands? :) Is the dissconnected bass sorted now? I'd need a new amp though - probably a 2nd hand KCT to keep me happy passive or a 2100 for aktiv + all that money on aktiv cards. My circumstances are very limiting I think what with the need for more amps for 140s/212s plus the huge price leap between Majik and Akurate speakers. No wonder I've done so many source updates instead in recent years - much simpler.

Maybe if I can't get the 'ideal' now then I should leave things alone and just not waste money, so sell the Ninkas + cards and play the 109s passive (maybe keep an eye out for 2nd hand aktiv cards + stands).
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Sold 6100 for 2nd hand 4200 and moved my Dynamik across to the new purchase. My Ninkas are now Bi-aktiv instead of tri-aktiv. The spare run of K600 used to bi-wire the bass.

I know for a little more money I could have instead added a Dynamik to my KK/1, but I wasn't actually going to spend out on anything when this opportunity arose. And I was also hoping this upgrade in particular would help with the rather rough mid/treble of the Majik amps (when combined with aktiv Ninkas at least), which it does. It also opens up more appealing playback combos for the future, both passive and aktiv. I like it :D Cheers for now...

Now I just need to sell some old camera kit to fund the upgrade - as promised to my distinctly better half. Black FM2 anyone - in good condition and serivced a few years ago?
optics

Post by optics »

Hi Charlie,

as you know i use Katan, so i am interested in your findings with the new 4200 compared to the 6100.

Would you rate it as a night and day difference ?

I am not sure about the power amp. Recently a cheap 2200 was offered, but i was too slow...

Should i gor for x100 or x200 to drive my Katan. (poss aktiv);
Next year i will move to a new house, so i will think about the speakers after. Momentary i like the 212 most, because of their presentation in the mids (voices)

cheers

johannes
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Hi Johannes,

I'd say it's a bigger improvement than Dynamik for my 6100, but not greatly better, if that's any help. Bare in mind that a 6100 (Dynamik or not) can drive aktiv Ninkas quite easily, so perhaps passive Ninkas would be a different story. It certainly strikes me more as a sonic improvement than musical one. It is better musically of course, but nothing like a good source upgrade. Songs are not much more engaging or captivating (although I do want to re-tune the speakers again - brief initial attempts left them where they are.) So whilst I can better appreciate good musicians and what they are doing, it isn't enough of a step forward to re-ignite the feeling for a favourite song, unlike Radikal or Ekos SE as I vividly recall - not that this is the ultimate way to judge a system, but hopefully it gives you some idea of what to expect.

The 4200 does some nice things to the sound though. Midband is smoother and more natural so tracks I thought were slightly rough recordings are absolutely fine :?. Treble is also better resolved but still not as good as I'd like being a bit shabby on some recordings (think I either need array speakers for that or maybe a Klimax amp :( .) Also, when there is a lot happening or sudden explosion of sound then the 4200 can deliver similar to a Klimax amp whereas the 6100 is uncontrolled and flat as if it can't even begin to reproduce such events. I particularly notice it on up tempo rock or a dramatic classical concerto. It comes across as though the 4200 can deliver a greater range of volume whereas the 6100 flattens it all down to a more manageable level. There is also a little less hash and noise, a little more bass punch, a more effortless delivery in general and it does 'begin' to define VERY deep bass notes that were just a drone beforehand. This last element only leaves me wanting more of the same though, making me curious as to what is really going on down there :)

The above probably sounds like a substantial list of benefits, but overall it's certainly not a 'night and day' step forward, as you inquired. More a moderate one. I've compared 6100 to KCT/Solos driving 242s passive and that was a more 'night and day' gap on anything less than lightweight acoustic guitar or such like. The 6100 was really put to shame. Returning to the same setup with Dynamik 6100 it wasn't quite so bad and just about bearable, but still, that experience makes me think you'd be better off with 2200/Katans if you have an eye on 212s longer term. I would be very wary of having to live with a Majik amp (even with Dynamik) driving 212s passive based on that 242 experience and I seem to recall Fredrik saying something similar recently. Obviously the ideal is a 4200 which can drive Katans aktiv, 212s bi-amp'd and maybe one day be put to good use when partnered with another 4200 to drive 212s aktiv (or various other speakers for that matter).

In terms of value then brand new I'd say Majik is better. If buying 2nd hand then saving up for Akurate would be my preferred path.

Regards, Charlie1
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Might have to revise my opinion on this upgrade a little. It's a grower. 6100 must have been adding some fake excitement I think. 4200 is more relaxed and making for more enjoyable long-term listening. The control of the low frequencies has also opened up a few LPs to me, whereas before the out of control bass put me off getting into them. Still not 'night and day' but a very solid upgrade and great to live with.

Some Maple 140s on the way, so feedback what I think. Going to hang onto the Ninkas/cards/bases a short while just in case they're not my cup of tea.
optics

Post by optics »

hi charlie1,

thx for sharing;

i just try to get a nice 4200 ...

in the meanwhile i bought a 5100 for a very reasonable price, so if i can find an affordable 4200 i will just sell the 5100 (hopefully w/o loosing money).

Last week i auditioned wilson benesch square 2, really not bad imho superiour to the 140´s (okay i have to state i don´t like the 2k)

Compared to the 212 the 212 offered better voicing, but there is still something i do not really like with the 212, but i cannot describe it clearly.

I would also be interested in the ATC, but this is hard in Germany.

Again thx for sharing, and have fun with your 140

cheers

johannes
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

Charlie1 wrote:Some Maple 140s on the way, so feedback what I think. Going to hang onto the Ninkas/cards/bases a short while just in case they're not my cup of tea.
Hmmm...did you find a "discontinued" bargain somewhere Charlie? :)

Some people seem to really rate the 109s while not being that impressed with the 140s. I know that you found the 109s great but a bit bass light compared to your Ninkas so will be interested to hear what you think.
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
Silvers, K400, Hutter rack
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

rowlandhills wrote:Some people seem to really rate the 109s while not being that impressed with the 140s. I know that you found the 109s great but a bit bass light compared to your Ninkas so will be interested to hear what you think.
Yes, bass control appears to be an issue in some rooms too. I never heard them before, so like you say, it will be interesting. They'll need some running in though - god knows how long that might take. I could be hanging onto the Ninkas till next year.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

optics wrote:i just try to get a nice 4200 ...

in the meanwhile i bought a 5100 for a very reasonable price, so if i can find an affordable 4200 i will just sell the 5100 (hopefully w/o loosing money).
Whilst I've not heard your setup, on paper you have a fantastic value for money system - perhaps unbeatable musicality for the money you've invested.

I got a great deal and wanted to fix something I found a bit annoying - otherwise wouldn't have gone for the 4200. A good system support might be money better spent (don't know what you've got), so unless you see a 4200 for a really great price then I wouldn't worry if you're happy with what you've put together. Maybe a pair of 2nd hand Linn silvers between ADS and Kikkin too if you're looking for a little bit more performance, but I suspect you'll find this quite subtle in the grand scheme of things.

Part of me wishes I'd been able to do something very similar to your setup, but I didn't know about the forums when I started back into hi-fi and also got quite carried away. Your setup strikes me as a sweet spot for price/performance - buying 2nd hand as you've done and also the Kikkin breaks the rules somewhat. You can go on and on with this hi-fi lark, but maybe get back to the music now? ...you should note that I seldom follow my own advise hence spending too much time on forums and reading about all the kit :roll: but you are what you are and I like that part too.
optics

Post by optics »

Hi again,

luckily i am working home office based, so i use my system at least 2h / day. (just received a new cd from richard bona, and can really recommend its great)

I really enjoy my current system, the timing is great the music is coherent. The whole thing really opened up with the ADS, but there is still ...

The Katan give me the sparkling treble i missed with the 109, but now i miss sometimes smooth mids, voices. The Kikkin is great for the money, but i am still thinking of an AK. Maybe i will buy a turntable again, because i remember a few hundreds LP somewhere in my house.

As i understand momentary there is no solution to use Fredriks toys with two sources.

I did not buy all the gear s/h, the ADS (and previous the MDS, 109) were bought at a local dealer exdem, because i think its not fair to go there for demo, stealing time and buying elsewhere.

However its all about music

bye

johannes

:D :D :D :D
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

optics wrote:Hi again,
The Katan give me the sparkling treble i missed with the 109, but now i miss sometimes smooth mids, voices.
As said before, Majik amp is a bit rough in the mid compared to 4200 - whether Akurate amp is enough to fix this for you I can't say. KCT might be even better (in this respect) - not sure.

Based on my experience with Kikkin1, MK, KK, KK/1 - I'd be surprised if the Kikkin makes much difference in this regard. If you had a Majik Kontrol then it would be another matter. I find Kikkin1 is quite similar to original KK, so analogue with a hint of warmth. KK/1 is lean and crisp.

Silvers should help a bit. It sounds a bit left field, but getting Silvers burned in on the Nordost Vidar machine also smooths things out and is more tuneful. Not sure if you have a Nordost dealer in Germany. Try to get the old Silvers without the slits - they are more tuneful and less hi-fi and probably better for you.

Your support might be adding a brittle sound. No firm rules but often wood gives warm sound and glass more brittle. There was a post recently from ThomasOK ref testing the Quadrasphire racks and different materials - maybe check that, but I think different components respond differently making it more complex.

Fredrik modified his Katans. Think he changed the internal wiring (to Linn silver maybe?) It's in his 'for sale' add when selling them, so check it out. Soldering will be important though so you really need someone like Fredrik to perform the mod I would think, otherwise might be worse than standard wiring.

I think you have plenty of options to help reduce the rough midband, but 4200 I'm sure will help.

Otherwise, maybe you need KDS :twisted:
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Some very good advice there from Charlie!

Regarding Katan, I replaced the internal wiring with K400. The soldering work definitely influenced the result, this became evident when I later resoldered them with a slightly different temperature (that experiments had shown to be optimal). There's also some mechanical details of the cable installation to take care of (right amount of twist, tightness of conductors).

I compared my Katans several times against other, original, pairs. I always preferred mine, but the difference never felt big. It was more a smoothness in the sound of mine and a slight sharpness in the sound of the originals. I'm not sure I would do it again, unless I knew I'd live with that pair of speakers for several years to come.
optics

Post by optics »

Sorry for hijacking ...

Thx a lot for your advice

As i wrote i am still not sure about the "only 1 source concept",
today i compared the Kikkin to a German pre "Trigon Snowwhite";

i took my 6 minutes ...

congrats Fredrik ! Night & Day describes it best;

now i will go back and evaluate the Kikkin and a bottle of red wine :D

cheers

johannes
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you for your kind words, Johannes!
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Finally got around to connecting up the 140s passive to the 4200/D this evening. Can't draw any fair conclusions in terms of musicality and how they compare to aktiv Ninkas as they are not even level or tuned into position. But for the record, the Ninkas are more flowing and engaging as things stand.

140s sound a lot better though - even straight out the box and with minimal setup. Clearly they are faster and bass is much better defined with more punch. Like the 109s I had for a while, I think the top end is not emphased so much as with the Ninkas, as if the treble dial is turned down quite a bit more. Mid is little bit cleaner and clearer.

I don't have the upgraded stands, but no obvious bass issues that some owners report. They have plenty of space though so I'd be surprised if it becomes any issue here.

If the passive 140s fall only a little behind the aktiv Ninkas in the musicality contest then I might just stick with them anyway. I figure it's only healthy to let the audiophile in me have a say once in a while :D Or maybe I'II just have to get a Dynamik for my KK to re-address the musical balance :mrgreen:

Will try to post a couple of pics over the weekend. I think it's interesting to see a 140 right next to a Ninka speaker to compare.

I'll miss my Ninkas if I do let them go (subject to living with 140s a few months of course). Maybe cos they are part of the furniture and not just another box of electronics, I've become quite attached to them :( Arrrr!
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Hi Charlie,

Seeing you´ve put up your Ninka chakra cards on sale, you probably like the Majik 140!
Any chance in letting us know your first impressions on how they compare to the Ninkas
(and the brief encounter with the 109s for that matter?)
Off course, 6100/d to 4200/d on its own makes up for a difference.

Kind regards,

Marco
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Hi Marco,
The cards were put on ages ago, but never sold and I changed my mind. However, I'm more than likely going to sell the Ninkas now, so I did send a PM to the recent responder.

Aktiv 4200/Ninkas is still more musical than passive 4200/140s. I will try bi-amping next. Took a while to get setup, but now no bass issues so no pressure to buy the upgraded bases.

140s offer a lot more resolution so are really useful to me at low volume when I do most of my listening. A bit like a good computer monitor - you can manage better with small fonts without increasing the text size.

I do miss the fluid aktiv sound a bit though. I think 140s sound quite a lot better than Ninkas though - more weight, more dynamik and smoother mids/top end. Ninka treble was still a little harsh even with the 4200.

109s didn't work for me. Nice sound, but I missed the bass too much and couldn't seem to re-adjust. For those used to book shelf speakers then I think they would be great.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

A quick note reference my Dynamik PSU upgrade to the KK/1, which has been running in a couple of weeks now. Main impressions are that the music is slowed down and more time to enjoy what’s going on musically. Individual melodies are easier to discern whilst not detracting from the performance as a whole. I definitely find it easier to follow the music. A very worthwhile upgrade and good value in the context of a KK price tag.

Sound changes are similar to Dynamik in 6100, as best as I recall, so ‘slightly’ more subtle and finessed and less hash/noise. But bass is clearly better controlled including deep bass which is really useful for me right now. Since the 140s have run in, deep bass has slowly become too loose and bloated on more than just the occasional LP. Dynamik has removed this on nearly everything I’ve since played, so the 140s are more controlled than when first installed. So once again, don’t feel any burning desire to get the upgraded bases altough I'm postponing re-tuning my speakers until the Dynamik has run in a little more, so hope a more tuneful position doesn't worsen matters again.

This does make me realize that 140s are really going to vary according to the spec of the other components – without the upgraded bases fitted that is. Mind you, the KK/1 does dig deeper than my Kikkin, so maybe it’s only getting to grips with its own extended range.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thought it time to update this thread.

The 140 stands are good value, giving more sophistication and a little extra musicality.

The 2db cut to the 140s has also remained. I’m on the fence as to whether it is more musical or not, although everyone else seems confident it is better, but it's certainly tidier sounding, with more subtleties. Made me realise the 140s are a bit grungey and dense sounding as standard.

New speaker cable and Linn Knekt terminals, made up by Fredrik. A little more tuneful and surprisingly more dynamic sound.

Future plan is to leave the high flying Akiva club and downgrade to a Klyde, or hopefully Linn will replace it by then. I plan to add Dynamik to the Radikal shortly afterwards, to offset the loss. I also fancy a new Linn plinth, not sure what though, maybe black ash. There is also a threat that I will have to sell my KK to help fund a new car! Ouch!

Really must try my wallshelf, for the LP12, but never seem to get the time. Will certainly report back on that. If it’s better then I’ll invest in a better one, such as Quadraspire, or maybe an AudioTech will crop up. AudioTech table is definitely out of the picture in the current room, but hanging onto it, in case the system is ever moved downstairs onto concrete floor.

New cabling below, much neater :O)

Last edited by Charlie1 on 2011-09-03 13:24, edited 1 time in total.
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Cabling

Post by springwood64 »

Is that the 'Lejonklou' K200? It looks a lot less ugly than the full K400/600.

I've read quite a few comments that advise keeping the components out of corners and out from between the speakers. Have you been able to experiment with that set up?
Pete

Linn Axis, Slipsik, Källa, Boazu, Espeks
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Yes, that's the K400 cut in half.

I did try to compare once, but it was a poor and inconclusive test. People talk about loss of stereo imaging with the kit between the speakers, but that's never been a priority.
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Lovely system charlie, really really great!
I'm still looking for an exotik currently. However later I will want to change my old lk power amps, and after reading your findings and mr Lejonklou's posts elsewhere, i think a c4200/akurate is a good bet for me. I fancied 2250's, but was advised the majik were a more musical amp, although not as powerful sounding.
Are ninkas bi amp activ with a 4200 good enough, i mean, is it worth trying to get them tri amped? I know it's miles more cost. Just thinking about the future!
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Ozzzy189 wrote:Lovely system charlie, really really great!
I'm still looking for an exotik currently. However later I will want to change my old lk power amps, and after reading your findings and mr Lejonklou's posts elsewhere, i think a c4200/akurate is a good bet for me. I fancied 2250's, but was advised the majik were a more musical amp, although not as powerful sounding.
Are ninkas bi amp activ with a 4200 good enough, i mean, is it worth trying to get them tri amped? I know it's miles more cost. Just thinking about the future!
Thanks!
I only compared 6100 to 4200. I tried the 6100 passive, but never compared bi-amp aktiv to tri-amp. Have read elsewhere the gap is small, so I would't worry about it, especially as it will cost you a lot more to go tri-aktiv with Akurate amps - much better investing elsewhere than a second amp. 4200 alone was a nice upgrade from 6100.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

[The power amp name suggestions were split from this thread and made into a new thread:]
Power amp name suggestions
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Did some tweaking last night. Checked I was using the better Linto outputs. Also, with the KK gone and Kikkin being upgraded, I moved the Radikal from 2nd shelf (from bottom) to the 4th (just below the LP12.) Listening via headphones, I immediately thought it sounded a little better, so expected a more tuneful dem, which it was - easily. Worth doing, if you can, and fancy a free upgrade.

Also moved the Linto up, but that didn't make anything like as much improvement.

Plan to put the Kikkin and Linto on the same shelf, freeing up the bottom one. Wonder if the system will sound better with the power amp on the bottom and further away from the Linto, or one a higher shelf, but closer to the Linto - will check it once the Kikkin arrives.