Charlie1's System

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Charlie1's System

Post by ThomasOK »

Yep, those are sounding really good. I was digging the Peter Gabriel (not a big Bruce fan, but it still sounded good).
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

The Gabriel sounds really good Charlie with great impact and drive even though that LP in my experience should have include a "High Sibilance" hype sticker on the jacket.
Rega P10, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks guys - got there in the end! :)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

tpetsch wrote: 2023-06-16 17:53 The Gabriel sounds really good Charlie with great impact and drive even though that LP in my experience should have include a "High Sibilance" hype sticker on the jacket.
The sticker companies would have made a lot of money if those had been put on all the appropriate albums!
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

ThomasOK wrote: 2023-06-16 19:39
tpetsch wrote: 2023-06-16 17:53 The Gabriel sounds really good Charlie with great impact and drive even though that LP in my experience should have include a "High Sibilance" hype sticker on the jacket.
The sticker companies would have made a lot of money if those had been put on all the appropriate albums!
Yea, kinda like when record companys tried to get out in front of bad feedback in the early 70's during the oil embargo with those "Flexidisk" Hype stickers like it was a good thing.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

tpetsch wrote: 2023-06-16 20:22 Yea, kinda like when record companys tried to get out in front of bad feedback in the early 70's during the oil embargo with those "Flexidisk" Hype stickers like it was a good thing.
Marketing departments. Don’t we just love ‘em!
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

@Charlie1: So, the 212's are leaving, what's next?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I wonder that as well. :)
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Yeah, back to Kan 1s. They have some real strengths but overall I prefer old-skool Linn sound.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Have you tried/heard any Kudos speakers? The Titan 505's e.g.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I've heard them a few times on Linn and Naim setups but never been that keen. Defo heard 707s active with Naim and passive 606 with Linn. Not sure about 505s. I actually preferred the entry level 2-way floor stander.

Need to get my k400 re-terminated with naim right-angle plugs as well.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

All re-setup. Having to use K20 atm. K400 provides more clarity/tunefulness but need Naim right angle plugs fitted.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/alzn9qex ... 5t2ht&dl=0

System is 2002-spec LP12 (w. Adikt), Slipsik 8, Giella Pi, Mono 2.2s and Linn Silvers.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Flesh and blood. I like it. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks beck!

To further answer Tendaberry, I would like to try some late Kabers if I can find them at some point. Otherwise, not much else that interests me at the moment. A local Hifi friend is running in some Rega RX1s and they seem pretty good based on a couple of clips.
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

Charlie1 wrote: 2023-07-16 00:02 Thanks beck!

To further answer Tendaberry, I would like to try some late Kabers if I can find them at some point. Otherwise, not much else that interests me at the moment. A local Hifi friend is running in some Rega RX1s and they seem pretty good based on a couple of clips.
I for one never cared for Kabers either passive or aktiv and we set up a few over the years, Keilidhs were always better. But maybe you can get them to work, look forward to your A/B's.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

tpetsch wrote: 2023-07-16 00:52 I for one never cared for Kabers either passive or aktiv and we set up a few over the years, Keilidhs were always better. But maybe you can get them to work, look forward to your A/B's.
Thanks tpetsch. Does that include the final tweeter version? Could you be more specific ref how they didn't work?
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

What have you tried in that room: Ninka, Kan, Kan II, Tukan/Katan?, Majik 109?, Majik 140?, Keilidh?, 212, Saras, don't know if you tried the 'bariks in there, Komponent?, Series 3?, JBL LSR308, and others: there were some Naims as well, iirc...

Given how relatively simple it has been to dial in your other systems, I do wonder if there's something about that room that makes it problematic, but I hope you find some good Kabers - will be interesting to hear clips.
Last edited by tokenbrit on 2023-07-17 21:35, edited 1 time in total.
nmakowsk

Post by nmakowsk »

Hi Charlie1, have you tried the combo of the Isobariks and Tundra mono 2.2s? I think before when you had the briks you might have been using Naim amps still. You did used to mention your fondness for the driver used both in Kans and Briks maybe the B109. Just wondering if maybe you sold those briks on a bit too soon before discovering how good tundra amps sound.

The latest upgrade I got was the Giella 1.2 upgrade and now I think I might need to somehow get to Tundra mono3 eventually. I don't want to demo mono 3s before I can afford them because that would be too dangerous.
LP12/Kar/ARad2/Kore/Ekos SE1/NOKTable/Adikt/Slipsik 8.0/Giella Pi 1.2/Tundra Stereo 2.2/1992 Briks
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

nmakowsk wrote: 2023-07-17 20:37 Hi Charlie1, have you tried the combo of the Isobariks and Tundra mono 2.2s? I think before when you had the briks you might have been using Naim amps still. You did used to mention your fondness for the driver used both in Kans and Briks maybe the B109. Just wondering if maybe you sold those briks on a bit too soon before discovering how good tundra amps sound.

The latest upgrade I got was the Giella 1.2 upgrade and now I think I might need to somehow get to Tundra mono3 eventually. I don't want to demo mono 3s before I can afford them because that would be too dangerous.
Hiya, I would love TM3s but think they've all sold out and don't really have the funds anyway.

You could be right about the Briks and Lejonklou amps based on Hermann's clips. I suspect they would be too much for my bedroom though and they didn't work that well in the office with low pitched roof and shit floor - I still prefer the Keilidhs. I wouldn't rule out trying an earlier pair in the bedroom but they are a bit of a burden / worry if something goes wrong. And whilst Kans are equally old they are easy to move on and send for repair, if necessary. I'm also quite aware of the lack of integration between the drive units (compared to Keilidhs) although would probably get over that. It's a good idea though ;)
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Charlie1 wrote: 2023-07-16 00:02 To further answer Tendaberry, I would like to try some late Kabers if I can find them at some point.
There's a nice pair in rosewood for sale on WigWam... GBP 495,-
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Tendaberry wrote: 2023-07-18 10:06
Charlie1 wrote: 2023-07-16 00:02 To further answer Tendaberry, I would like to try some late Kabers if I can find them at some point.
There's a nice pair in rosewood for sale on WigWam... GBP 495,-
Subject/title line has them reduced to GBP 445 ... Bargain 🤑
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

Charlie1 wrote: 2023-07-16 11:43
tpetsch wrote: 2023-07-16 00:52 I for one never cared for Kabers either passive or aktiv and we set up a few over the years, Keilidhs were always better. But maybe you can get them to work, look forward to your A/B's.
Thanks tpetsch. Does that include the final tweeter version? Could you be more specific ref how they didn't work?
We always just found them to be lackluster and a bit weak in the bass dept, overall nothing special, slightly more refined than Keilidh perhaps but less engaging musically drive wise, we didn't sell many. Tweeters couldn't help much but I don't recall that specific A/B, but probably inline with the Keltiks, we got the new tweeters from Linn one day and I instantly installed them in our dems, played the system again and we all looked at each other wondering what the difference was?, very subtle, although the Keltiks when set up right were impressive. ..But to be honest we didn't have the greatest dem room and the gear always sounded better in peoples homes for the most part, Kabers were still a bit of a bore though no matter where we put them, one customer went Aktiv/Klouts with them I recall and was disappointed the change wasn't more dynamic but stuck with them for a while anyway, guess he was looking for a mini Keltik sound, but you can only realistically expect so much bottom from what amounted to a single 5" Bass driver in a Kaber -the other being a dedicated Mid- vs. 2x6" Mid/Bass units in a Keliidh. -But give them a chance, used pairs are inexpensive enough and you can always resell at break even and I enjoy listening to your A/B's ;)
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Interesting, thanks tpetsch!

I think that I will only bother if a late pair come up for sale.

I did pm tendaberry and the Kaber owner btw
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

I have far better experiences with the Kabers, a friend had them first active with LK100, which was pretty ok for the time. With 3 x LK280 + Spark they really came on song and we had a lot of fun listening very loud until late in the night.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks!

It will be interested to see if Monos can cope or if they're a bit too much.