Charlie1's System

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Charlie1's System

Post by Hermann »

I had tried the Tukans on different stands and stuck with the Kan stands. I had also experimented with different configurations of the banana plugs. One turned out to be particularly good. The bridges on the connector terminal must be removed for this. At the time, the NAC A5 was used. At the end to the speakers I soldered 4 bananas each. Shortly under each other the ends stripped and fastened in the correct distance. The Naim plugs for loudspeakers were used (picture), but not with the typical small housing, but only the banana plugs. The cross slots are excellent for soldering the cable at a 90° angle, so that the cables run down without bending. Maybe that helps a little.

By the way, the Keiligh, Kaber and SBL play much more musically when they are on Mana Stoundbase 1. Sorry I don't have a picture, so a link to a thread on Naimforum. Below is the setup of an SBL and the next photo below is a setup of my old system about 18 years ago. This was a loft (200sqm living space only) and 11m ceiling height. The best system I have heard until recently. Today I am actually further along than I was then and the reason is Tundra Stereo and Entity! Today, however, my setup is changed.
Naim_Audio_NA_4MM_Lautsprecherstecker_600x600.jpg
https://community.naimaudio.com/t/sbl-o ... ning/15381
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trust your ears
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks for taking the time to respond with that info Herman. Quite some system you had (and have). I've never heard equipment on Mana but some people are very enthusiastic about it. It could be something for the future (same as the speaker connectivity) although I think my priority is to decide whether the Briks stay or go first.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Wakonda/LK140 into the Briks. Same track...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/274b3ej6ztofr ... 5.mp4?dl=0

I had tried Kairn/Klout and really didn't like them, especially the timing, but with Wakonda/LK140 its no problem for some reason and much more musical and engaging than any CB pre/power amps, which it looks like I'll be selling - OK, CB timing is still better and they groove along more but not enough to offset the lack of tunefulness. Wish I'd tried Wakonda/LK140 earlier but the Kairn/Klout result put me off further exploration. Like I said before though, LK are not a forever amp cos there's no proper Linn-supported servicing but a 2006 LK140 is still good at the moment, especially for 300 quid!

Gonna live with Briks (fed by LK) for a few months before deciding on whether to keep them or not. I still hear a lot of 'crossover' and 'multitude of drive units' getting in the way of the music but they do have their advantages and are still tuneful to my ears.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Charlie1 wrote: 2022-08-19 16:31 And now with Tukans...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ruhj9vubgndd7 ... 8.mp4?dl=0
Interesting comparison. Not ideal with the briks behind the tukans, but I do understand why ;)
The tukans sound musically coherent with a simpler more accessible presentation that suits the vocals but the piano doesn't do much for me - I fear I'd struggle to enjoy the scale of songs & performances longer term...
The briks provided more oomph but less coherence: more insight into the singing (articulation if not emotion); piano no longer sounds like an upright, but not convinced they're gelling together into better music :/

Do the tukans have more weight in room than on the clip? Do the briks get their act together more 'in person' or is that what you meant about crossover & drivers?
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks for the feedback tokenbrit. I agree with you ref piano.

No, the Briks never really get their act together for me.

The Tukans have more weight now, setup in the corners, and this is what I'm gonna settle on for now, with Nait - LK will go back in the bedroom system with Kans...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sfghm6qwm27ho ... 8.mp4?dl=0

Pair of Helix due in the week but think the Briks' time is up.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Charlie1 wrote: 2022-08-19 18:03 Thanks for the feedback tokenbrit. I agree with you ref piano.

No, the Briks never really get their act together for me.

The Tukans have more weight now, setup in the corners, and this is what I'm gonna settle on for now, with Nait - LK will go back in the bedroom system with Kans...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sfghm6qwm27ho ... 8.mp4?dl=0

Pair of Helix due in the week but think the Briks' time is up.
Better: still a bit small scale, but nicely musical. I was wondering whether the position in front of the briks would help with weight or hinder with timing...

Are the brik drivers torqued?
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

No, I've not torqued anything. Not sure what I can actually get at. I'll take a look
John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

Charlie1 wrote: 2022-08-19 20:58 No, I've not torqued anything. Not sure what I can actually get at. I'll take a look
Should be able to torque all the drivers except the isobarik woofer unless you remove the front woofer. If they haven’t been checked, they’re all likely loose.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks gents.

The tweeters were all quite loose but everything else was still tight. I've not tried to torque anything yet.
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

Charlie1 wrote: 2022-08-19 22:01 Thanks gents.

The tweeters were all quite loose but everything else was still tight. I've not tried to torque anything yet.
And remove all the philips head black screw caps on the backs of the cabinets and make sure they are all snug too, I'm guessing their all pretty loose, like (10) on each cabinet.. ...And BTW I'm getting a kick out of you continually saying that "ALL" Chrome Bumper Naim gear is out of tune, what a ridiculous statement.
Rega P10, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

It's all just personal opinion tpetsch. I'm simply writing my impressions. Folks will not want to share their thoughts if you start telling them that their impressions are 'ridiculous'. And it's by comparison anyway.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

tpetsch wrote: 2022-08-19 22:33.And BTW I'm getting a kick out of you continually saying that "ALL" Chrome Bumper Naim gear is out of tune, what a ridiculous statement.
Rude!
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

Charlie1 wrote: 2022-08-19 23:05 It's all just personal opinion tpetsch. I'm simply writing my impressions. Folks will not want to share their thoughts if you start telling them that their impressions are 'ridiculous'. And it's by comparison anyway.
I apologize if my remarks came across as a bit harsh, and I always appreciate & enjoy reading your thoughts on the equipment you evaluate but when I read those blanket statements such as where you said that "all" CB Naim gear is out of tune I guess it rubbed me the wrong way as I don't consider my CB gear/system to be out of tune, and you even mentioned to me once that you never even listened to a CB active system. Bad set-up and a sub-par source component can make Naim gear sound out of tune just like anything else, and for me I personally came to the conclusion that my LP12 made my Naim system sound unnaturally bloated/dated and I can no longer go back to it once these faults were relieved to me by the addition of a P10, the addition of the P10 into my Naim CB system transformed it as an in tune & uncolored source component should because as we all know nothing down the line can improve upon faults of your source component..

And I know you said that you had a P10 once, but I wonder if you really wanted it to work in your system as much as your LP12, after all, it is fun to be part of a huge support community that supports the LP12 and backs your purchase choice and I've personally owned LP12's for over 35 years as well as some of my friends. And also lets not look past the fact that people go thru great lengths to massage their LP12's into their systems, several different cartridges, phono stages, torque wrenches, stands, months of break in time, cables etc, etc to get it to sound just the way they like in their system/room. How much time and effort did you take to try to get the P10 to work in your system as well as it could?-Just a thought, and no hard feelings Charlie, T..
Last edited by tpetsch on 2022-08-21 21:02, edited 1 time in total.
Rega P10, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks for your post tpetsch. It's all good and no hard feelings this end either. I'm sure we have a lot more in common with one another than we do with most hifi nerds, I mean enthusiasts. 😉

Probably some disappointment on my side meant that my comments were less well tempered than normal. I do try to take into account that other members may have the same equipment. In fact, very few do on Lejonklou so I probably just forgot myself and didn't filter my comments.

I've put a lot of effort into setting up the bedroom system in particular and I'm confident its done justice to my passive CB amps. The decks are also setup by a very experienced dealer.

I really liked the p10 but despite some advantages over my LP12s I had at the time, I wasn't persuaded to make the swap and I never once felt that I should revisit that decision. It would only have replaced one LP12, so I was quite happy with the idea of a Rega deck.

For the record I think the nait 1 is the most tuneful amp outside of Lejonklou and Linn. It also boogies along brilliantly. In fact, rhythm and timing are real CB era strengths to my ears. But I've yet to find the perfect amp (or anything for that matter) so now I just try to accept and enjoy what each can offer. That includes the Nait and one CB pre/power (to be decided) but I will let the rest go.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Maybe I had better luck with my briks, because they also sang in a 16 square meter room. Of course, it would be a shame not to use a speaker with high potential anymore. What is striking, however, is how close they are to each other. I'm not sure how much that counteracts the overall picture. In small rooms I chose a distance of >1.6m. At the time they were on the original Linn stands, the first thing I did was remove the walls. Later it housed the external crossovers, which were swapped out for Falcons, then (fortunately) to the original internals.

But I understand your position but do not know the circumstances of the room.

My experiences with the first Linn amplifiers were not the best. I tried a few of these for a while and none had ever made the Briks sing, not even the active Linn amps. And many amplifiers from other brands couldn't do that either.

Just for fun the Keilight are playing at 72/140, fed by a Lenovo W520 and it sounds really good considering the price of the components today...

Anyway, I hope your decision will be right.
Trust your ears
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks Herman.

The room is quite compromised. It's the space above a garage with pitched roof, so not ideal for upward firing speakers.

By coincidence, I plan to find another pair of Keilidh's - this time with the 3-bar tweeter. Whilst not as coherent as my Briks with those lovely B110 drive units, I feel they worked better overall.
nmakowsk

Post by nmakowsk »

Hi Charlie1,

Have you considered using the 3 bar tweeters (Ninka) in the Isobariks to replace the Hiquophons? I had the ones replaced at Overture Audio in my 1986 DMS pair after blowing an original tweeter. At the time the tweeters were about $75 per unit to buy but they may be discontinued now from the factory. I am unsure if these tweeters are better though as I found my 1992 Isobariks shortly after and haven't gone back due to the fact that the external crossover is definitely better than the internally mounted DMS crossover. If you did this modification of 4 tweeters you would be able to continue enjoying that B110 mid driver. I think Tony Tune-age has this mod on his briks as well and may have felt it to be an improvement. Just an idea...
LP12/Kar/ARad1/Kore/Ekos SE1/NOKTable/Adikt/Slipsik 8.0/Giella Pi 1.2/Tundra Stereo 2.2/1992 Briks
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

There are two versions of the 3 bar tweeters, and there may even be more, I don’t know. There’s the ceramic dome version, as used in the Keilidh and Tukan (015/3) and the soft dome version as used in the Katan and Ninka. (038/2). I’ve compared the two and prefer the 015/3.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks both - I'll have a think about it
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

I’m not sure I would recommend the change though. The Hiquphon’s are great tweeters!
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Lovin' the Keilidhs. Just not thought about the hifi all week and been playing music like the stereo doesn't exist. Obviously not well positioned, not levelled and one drive unit is damaged but doesn't seem to matter :)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9rbtf012xq1tq ... 4.mp4?dl=0
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Charlie1 wrote: 2022-09-02 18:20 Lovin' the Keilidhs. Just not thought about the hifi all week and been playing music like the stereo doesn't exist. Obviously not well positioned, not levelled and one drive unit is damaged but doesn't seem to matter :)
To me, really good hifi let us forget the hardware and sound and makes us dive into the music. Enjoy! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Charlie1 wrote: 2022-09-02 18:20 Lovin' the Keilidhs... one drive unit is damaged but doesn't seem to matter :)
I was expecting The Wallflowers - One Headlight... ;)
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

:)