Charlie1's System

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Charlie1's System

Post by V.A.MKD »

tokenbrit wrote: 2021-09-22 14:20 How many hours on the GRKarma? I recall you being surprised how long it took for the GRTroika to break-in...
+1
Music First ...
Vlado
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Must be 30 by now
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Spannko wrote: 2021-09-22 14:17 Honestly? I’m not entirely sure what to think, to be honest! For whatever reason, this latest rig with the GRKarma isn’t doing it for me. I found the Strolling Bones very hard to listen to and enjoy, and JA is just OK. This is in contrast to the GRTroika rig, which I found very enjoyable.

I never thought I’d say this, but I’m wondering if the Kans and Isobariks are finally beginning to show their age? I say this after hearing the Klangedang’s (which sounded truly wonderful) and now the JBL powered speakers, particularly the 308P’s, which seem to destroy any notion of audiophile “value for money”!
Here's a recent recording of the same 'Stones' system, but with Lingo/Ekos/Adikt deck - do you hear the same kind of issue?...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9h31zj8fy8gxn ... 6.mp4?dl=0
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

That’s nice! Obviously the Isobariks aren’t showing their age just yet! Maybe the GRKarma needs more time?
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-09-22 14:58
Spannko wrote: 2021-09-22 14:17 Honestly? I’m not entirely sure what to think, to be honest! For whatever reason, this latest rig with the GRKarma isn’t doing it for me. I found the Strolling Bones very hard to listen to and enjoy, and JA is just OK. This is in contrast to the GRTroika rig, which I found very enjoyable.

I never thought I’d say this, but I’m wondering if the Kans and Isobariks are finally beginning to show their age? I say this after hearing the Klangedang’s (which sounded truly wonderful) and now the JBL powered speakers, particularly the 308P’s, which seem to destroy any notion of audiophile “value for money”!
Here's a recent recording of the same 'Stones' system, but with Lingo/Ekos/Adikt deck - do you hear the same kind of issue?...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9h31zj8fy8gxn ... 6.mp4?dl=0
This is totally different and great sounding.
Maybe it's GR Karma or maybe need much more than 30 - 50 hours ...
Music First ...
Vlado
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks guys. No being funny but sometimes it's hard to see the woods from the trees when it's your own system. You can 'think' something is good but be kidding yourself the whole time.

I'll keep running that Karma. I hadn't found it as obviously uninteresting as the Troika was to begin with but there's clearly something not right. I wanted to keep the Adikt but (long-term) it just didn't match well with the Valhalla/Ittok - too warm and shut in. I'll give it time but if this fails then it's back to a VM95E.

The 42/110 has not been used for 2 months too, and whilst it's been powered on 2-3 days, perhaps it's struggling to wake up from it's hibernation.
Last edited by Charlie1 on 2021-09-22 15:50, edited 1 time in total.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

You don't want to know how many time I have enter in that circle / story, but at the end of day, that's why are friends and every additional pair of ears are welcomed with big "W".

Knowing Naim (and you also know it) it's need 7-10 day wake up ... + fall ;-)
Music First ...
Vlado
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks Vlado!! Glad I'm not alone in that :)

Yes, this is an invaluable community.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Glad to hear I'm not alone. I didn't post anything because I just couldn't get into the first clip with the Karma and didn't want to be negative. But unless it improves with age I would say you have Bad Karma.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

:)

As long as folks are not cruel (which people here aren't) then I'm always happy for honest feedback.

Having said that, I'm exactly the same and don't want to be negative, especially if someone seems really pleased.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Must have put several more hours on it but it's a slow process.

Switched to the 32.5/160 cos I know it's musically sound especially at the lower volume used in these clips. It's softer/warmer sound isn't ideal but will do.

I think it's literally just started to wake up with this LP - or is it no good?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rnrdj6z1pm9ae ... 4.mp4?dl=0

I still feel it's not there yet, but it's hard to be sure now. Strangely, it's the clips on my laptop screen that seem most effected and boring.

I'm using 'K' cards which I assume is correct for the Karma - clue in the name perhaps?
Last edited by Charlie1 on 2021-09-24 10:18, edited 2 times in total.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

I think thats what friends do - also being able to say whats not perfect. If we would always try to be polite and say something positive the other side is missing out. I know sometimes its a hard pill to swallow but in the end if we really think about it its what keeps us from walking wrong paths. Please you friends dont hold back if you think something is no good (I know thats much easier for me to say that now).

Sorry Charlie1 I cant really comment on the last 2 clips as the initial clip is not available anymore.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Defender wrote: 2021-09-24 10:06 I think thats what friends do - also being able to say whats not perfect. If we would always try to be polite and say something positive the other side is missing out. I know sometimes its a hard pill to swallow but in the end if we really think about it its what keeps us from walking wrong paths. Please you friends dont hold back if you think something is no good (I know thats much easier for me to say that now).
+1
Music First ...
Vlado
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks Defender. You're absolutely right in what you say. Makes me wonder about myself now.

I took those two tracks down cos it literally seemed to turn a corner with the next LP.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-09-24 09:42 Must have put several more hours on it but it's a slow process.

Switched to the 32.5/160 cos I know it's musically sound especially at the lower volume used in these clips. It's softer/warmer sound isn't ideal but will do.

I still feel it's not there yet, but it's hard to be sure now. Strangely, it's the clips on my laptop screen that seem most effected and boring.

I'm using 'K' cards which I assume is correct for the Karma - clue in the name perhaps?
Much much better.
Maybe some finesse ... like cherry on ... but huge improvement is visible / listenable ...
Honestly ... this is the road that I like to drive or in that direction ...
Music First ...
Vlado
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-09-24 09:42 Switched to the 32.5/160 cos I know it's musically sound especially at the lower volume used in these clips. It's softer/warmer sound isn't ideal but will do.
Hi Charlie1,
32.5 (CB) is 72 in Olive series or I'm wrong?
Music First ...
Vlado
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

No, they did make changes but not sure what. Perhaps new time aligned boards or something like that?

I did have a 72/140 about 2 years but couldn't draw any conclusions from that now. Nait 1 was a lot better but I still liked it.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

V.A.MKD wrote: 2021-09-24 10:28 Much much better.
Maybe some finesse ... like cherry on ... but huge improvement is visible / listenable ...
Honestly ... this is the road that I like to drive or in that direction ...
Cool - thanks for the honest feedback Vlado ;)
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

OK, all is now as it should be. 42.5/110 is playing music again and Kans are doing what Kans do. Maybe it will improve but this is fine. Last clip...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2wwnu8s5rkn8c ... 5.mp4?dl=0
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-09-24 09:42 Must have put several more hours on it but it's a slow process...

I still feel it's not there yet, but it's hard to be sure now...
Interesting choice of music given the lyrics: were you through with the Karma or challenging it to prove it's not no good? :)
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-09-24 13:10 OK, all is now as it should be. 42.5/110 is playing music again and Kans are doing what Kans do. Maybe it will improve but this is fine. Last clip...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2wwnu8s5rkn8c ... 5.mp4?dl=0
Still a bit stiff & lean but does seem to be fears dispatched... Appropriate given translation of depeche ;)
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

:)

Thanks for listening the and feedback! - yes, I think you're right about being stiff

I think the main thing is that it's enjoyable now and is better than VM95E in hifi terms so, on balance, it's a keeper :) thank God

I am such a panicker! - I did give it 20+ hours but then lost my nerve :)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

The "You're No Good" is definitely sounding better although I find the bass part a little thick and slow. The last clip is the best yet so the Karma is certainly showing promise now.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks Tom!
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-09-24 10:42 No, they did make changes but not sure what. Perhaps new time aligned boards or something like that?

I did have a 72/140 about 2 years but couldn't draw any conclusions from that now. Nait 1 was a lot better but I still liked it.
Thank you Charlie1 ...

Hm ... that Nait.
Music First ...
Vlado