Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Charlie1's System

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks folks!
Lego wrote: 2021-07-07 14:26 In the study, I couldn't help noticing your shadow on the wall. I see you were wearing shoulder pads during the clips, nice touch.
LOL!
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Troika sounds sweet here. Enjoyably similar systems, musically - quite the signature!
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Hi Charlie1,

If I can ask you: Your "Main" system sounds slightly different, it's because of Troika or Sara?

Study & Office system sounds very close in character (beside big difference between Kan and Briks), most probably because of Adikt ...

Do you try Kan or Briks in Main system ... You know what is the question ...
Music First ...
Vlado
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Kans have a reputation for being small Briks. These two pairs share the exact same KEF SP1057 drive units and Hiquphon tweeters.

Also, the cartridge makes quite a difference the sound and, like you say, they both share the Adikt.

Saras sound quite different. They're definitely higher resolution, which the Troika can also exploit. They do have the same tweeter though.

The Briks are immovable :)

The Kans can't fill that room enough. I tried them on and off the past 2-3 years and never 100% happy. Radikal/Ekos SE/Krystal/Urika/32/SNAPS/250 was the fullest sound I got but not really enough and besides, I don't like the influence of SNAPS/HICAP.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Thank you, this is what I want to know :-)
Music First ...
Vlado
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

No probs. None of them are perfect. Every system seems to have strengths and weaknesses. Song types often suit one over the other, assuming they are all musically engaging.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

I don’t know if it’s the influence of the G.Troika, but I really like the main system! It feels like you’ve managed to source some of the best components from the Linn/Naim golden era and put something together which has great synergy. Well done charlie1 👍
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks Spannko!

Yeah, it's worked out well with the Troika rebuild. I really thought it would have to go but then it suddenly started to make music after about 15-20 hours. Not like the Adikt carts that always sounded good from day 1. Makes me wonder what they sounded like in the old days but I'll never know. It has a very different balance to the Krystal though so I suspect it would sound very bright / overly lean in a modern setup.

Did you ever compare Troika to the Asaka? Seen a couple of posts on the Naim forum from people that prefer the Asaka. I won't be replacing this one but just curious. Maybe for next time.

Got some Sara grills delivered today so they even look tidy now...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g034bdg98cnds ... 4.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bwqq2gapfaz1e ... 8.mp4?dl=0
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

I can’t remember if I compared the Troika to the Asaka tbh. I remember not liking the Klyde though.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Spannko wrote: 2021-07-08 17:38 I can’t remember if I compared the Troika to the Asaka tbh. I remember not liking the Klyde though.
Why does everyone hate the klyde,and what was the problem with it !??
I loved mine after the Asaka ,although I must admit I had a Naim preamp at the time.
I know that tune
teatime

Post by teatime »

Lego wrote: 2021-07-09 23:29
Spannko wrote: 2021-07-08 17:38 I can’t remember if I compared the Troika to the Asaka tbh. I remember not liking the Klyde though.
I loved mine after the Asaka ,although I must admit I had a Naim preamp at the time.
Hey, I loved mine too! :) Coming from the K18, the Klyde was my gateway drug to the world of Linn MC:s. I went through at least two before moving to the Arkiv.

I had my LP12 in for a tuneup at the relatively short lived Linn dealer Legend HiFi in Malmö. The Klyde had just arrived, and for whatever reason it was not mounted to any of the shop's LP12:s. "Shall we try it on yours? I'll take it off afterwards."

Yeah.. it never came off.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

teatime wrote:
Lego wrote:
Spannko wrote: I can’t remember if I compared the Troika to the Asaka tbh. I remember not liking the Klyde though.
Hey, I loved mine too! :) Coming from the K18, the Klyde was my gateway drug to the world of Linn MC:s. I went through at least two before moving to the Arkiv.

I had my LP12 in for a tuneup at the relatively short lived Linn dealer Legend HiFi in Malmö. The Klyde had just arrived, and for whatever reason it was not mounted to any of the shop's LP12:s. "Shall we try it on yours? I'll take it off afterwards."

Yeah.. it never came off.
I also came from K18 and loved my two Klyde’s. The price of changing carts did however make me change direction. Now I play cd’s.
Playing cd’s…………
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Maybe I’m wrong about the Klyde then, it was 30 years ago! I’ve certainly liked beck’s Klyde recordings.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Spannko wrote: 2021-07-11 13:18 Maybe I’m wrong about the Klyde then, it was 30 years ago! I’ve certainly liked beck’s Klyde recordings.
I don't think you're alone there Spannko. But I really like beck's Klyde recordings too so I guess the answer is 'it can sound really good'.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Picked up the Valhalla deck this weekend so now running in a GR rebuilt Karma in the office...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cgxy22i79zat3 ... 7.mp4?dl=0
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-09-20 09:57 Picked up the Valhalla deck this weekend so now running in a GR rebuilt Karma in the office...
I have to thank you Charlie1 for making it possible for us to listen to both the Troika (in another clip) and the Karma (GR rebuilt). I like both carts even in their GR rebuilt state. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

beck wrote: 2021-09-21 11:25
Charlie1 wrote: 2021-09-20 09:57 Picked up the Valhalla deck this weekend so now running in a GR rebuilt Karma in the office...
I have to thank you Charlie1 for making it possible for us to listen to both the Troika (in another clip) and the Karma (GR rebuilt). I like both carts even in their GR rebuilt state. :-)
+1, thank you from my side also ...
Music First ...
Vlado
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Had you heard an original Karma (or Troika) to say how the GR rebuild 'sounds' in comparison: true to the original, or different but musical in its (their) own way?
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

David (Giffin) at Goldring built them as close as possible to original spec., although you can request 'better' / more expensive components. He used to do the Troika rebuilds for Linn back in the day. However, they were reputed to be less musical than the original Supex-made version, so I'm probably missing out to some extent. However, they're not expensive, still musical and match well with vintage gear. Whilst the Krystal was more tuneful, it didn't sound quite right to me - i.e. when partnered with these old systems.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Thanks Charlie. I have a Troika that needs repair... I was considering Soundsmith (US) & Expert Stylus (UK), as well as Goldring. I did contact Expert Stylus a few years back, but they appeared to have a lengthy wait list and never contacted me to say they were ready to look at my cartridge... Reviews suggest Soundsmith have lengthy wait list / turnaround times too. If you don't mind me asking, how long did GR take to rebuild your Karma?
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I didn't keep close tabs on it but I reckon about 4 weeks each time, maybe a bit less.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-09-21 16:53 I didn't keep close tabs on it but I reckon about 4 weeks each time, maybe a bit less.
Thanks. Seems reasonable... and giving them your repeat business is a good sign :)
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Back in the study now having run in quite a few hours. A Kan recommended album...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0pi9e42rbyu7c ... 0.mp4?dl=0

What do folks honestly think? I'm not sure it's firing on all cylinders at times. Ignore the slightly hard drum sound. That's a combination of the recording and overloading the phone's mic.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Honestly? I’m not entirely sure what to think, to be honest! For whatever reason, this latest rig with the GRKarma isn’t doing it for me. I found the Strolling Bones very hard to listen to and enjoy, and JA is just OK. This is in contrast to the GRTroika rig, which I found very enjoyable.

I never thought I’d say this, but I’m wondering if the Kans and Isobariks are finally beginning to show their age? I say this after hearing the Klangedang’s (which sounded truly wonderful) and now the JBL powered speakers, particularly the 308P’s, which seem to destroy any notion of audiophile “value for money”!
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

How many hours on the GRKarma? I recall you being surprised how long it took for the GRTroika to break-in...