An Even More Modest System....

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

Ceilidh

An Even More Modest System....

Post by Ceilidh »

Hi Everyone!

After Rowlandhills posted his "modest" system and received some encouragement, yours truly has been emboldened to try describing one that's even more modest. :D

(I've been afraid to in part because of its modesty, and in part because it completely (for financial, historical, and family reasons) violates Source First. So please be gentle -- I'll "fix" it eventually!)

Source: Classik Music (K)
Preamp: Ditto!
Amplification: Klout
Speakers: Ninka, with polymer bases
Interconnects: Linn Black
Speaker Cables: K20 Bi-wired, with Deltron 579 plugs & Lejonklou solder on one end; stock BFA (screwed on) plugs on the other.
Equipment Rack: mystery British rack (no product or manufacturer name on it) from eBay

(The above sits in a tiny living room in a brick apartment building in Boston, with the couch very close by....)

And as a side note: the Klout sounds very nice here -- not "overly revealing" at all!

Anyway, that's my system -- I'll upgrade the Source eventually, but for now I'm very happy. Cheers!

-C
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

Ceilidh,

Looks like a nice system to me.

I think that a lot of people start with a Classik and small speakers, then decide they want floorstanders, then realise they need a more capable amp...

Personally, I've not heard of anyone following a true "source first" approach when upgrading from a Classik, I think pretty much everyone winds up upgrading the power amps, then the preamp and finally the source!
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

You might consider selling the Classik and replace it with Genki/Kolektor. It would not cost you that much (if anything at all) and it would propably be a nice uppgrade.

Henrik
Last edited by Azazello on 2008-02-06 16:02, edited 1 time in total.
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

Another thought (much cheaper) would be to move from 2xLK20 to a single LK400 run. It's supposed to be a bit better...
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

rowlandhills wrote:Another thought (much cheaper) would be to move from 2xLK20 to a single LK400 run. It's supposed to be a bit better...
My recommendation exactly. I think K400 would be a worthwhile and fairly inexpensive upgrade. A pair of Linn Silver interconnects would also make a noticeable improvement, although at a bit higher price.