A modest system

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

A modest system

Post by rowlandhills »

Compared to a lot of the systems here, this seems pretty modest, but it does nicely for me...

Source: Modified Naim CD3.5
Pre: AV5103
Power: AV5125 + Stereo aktiv cards
Speakers: Keilidh's (upgraded to 038/2 tweeters)
Interconnects: Linn blacks
Speaker Cables: K400

When buying the CD player I tried a number of options, from Karik through Ikemi, Unidisk SC (preamp off) and Majik CD, but found them all rather dry and lacking in tune. When I tried the CD3.5, which was heavily modified by the previous owner, I simply found it easier to follow the tune, and crucially, it was the only player which made me want to keep playing more of my music, rather than switching back to the other players...so I bought it!

Next upgrade is likely to be an Akurate Kontrol, although I'm also interested in an Akurate DS, as I've already ripped all of my music to FLAC for the SB3 which feeds my Yamaha AV system in the other room...
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

No comments? I would have thought that someone would be outraged by the idea of using a Naim CD player as my main source... :D
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

rowlandhills wrote: I would have thought that someone would be outraged by the idea of using a Naim CD player as my main source... :D
Why?
I own both Linn and Naim gear, both great companies with outstanding products.
It's all about musical understanding!
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

Yeah, I don't think anyone here insists on using exclusively Linn (although I do) - just that you've chosen by listening to the tunes and not the "hifi"

'Troll
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Sounds like a nice system!

Modest? Well, I am just as interested to read about low budget second hand systems as about the latest and greatest Klimax Products. There is a tendency towards showing off on many internet forums, I hope that won't become the norm here.

I'd rather listen to a well set up budget system than a carelessly installed expensive one.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Sounds like a good system to me. Many of us have combined Linn and Naim products in a system. Back in the 70s and early 80s it was the only way to go. When Linn came out with their own electronics it (understandably) created a big rift between the companies. Unfortunately the rift ended up passing through to the customers and dealers such that they are now seen by some as vastly different companies when they are a lot closer than a lot of companies out there who make true dreck.

If you find the 3.5 to be more musical than the Majik CD and Ikemi then you should be a happy camper. The Akurate Kontrol should be a good step and gives you a really good phono stage if you decide to get into vinyl. I would also suggest trying out some Linn Silver interconnects as I find them a fair improvement over the Blacks (which are great for the money).

As far as modest systems go, little makes me happier than selling a Rega P3 with Linn Classik or Rega Brio3 and Katans or Rega R1s to a college student or adult with limited budget and hearing back how much enjoyment they are getting out of having good music in their life. It makes the job worthwhile.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Totally agree Thomas since I joined this forum the sound of my system has improved 10 fold.With the help you and the crew provide I now get the same enjoyment and more that I used to get when I initially heard my first hifi (rega 3, nad 3020 A&R 18s);Its all relative, no matter how much or little you spend on good gear if its working as it should you shouldn't really feel the need to upgrade .You cant buy the kind of service you guys provide; I need to go now ,I'm filling up....... :cry:

Thanks again

Leo
I know that tune
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

Thanks for the replies.

You're quite right, of course, that what matters most is getting the best from the system you're got.

I've worked my way up to it over the years, starting from an old Harmon Kardon amp (can't remember which one) and a portable CD player, feeding into a pair of Wharfedale speakers which my parents had had for 20 years! When I got to university, I blew my first student loan on a Sony QS series amp and cd player, and I was going to get B&W DM602s to go with them, until the shop I was in suggested that I try a pair of second hand Kans...

I've not looked back since, moving into AV with a Classik Movie DI and a centrik, then getting hold of a pair of Keilidh's and the AV5125, and then replacing my CMDi with an AV5103 and the Naim CD player when I split hifi away from AV last time I moved house.

I'm definately hoping to have a listen to an Akurate Kontrol at some point soon. Will let you know my thoughts when I've done so...
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

I would not call that system "modest" by any standards. My brother had (the amp is broken, unfortunatley) a modest system, it contained Mimik, Intek and a pair of Index on Sara stands. And that's still better then 95% of all systems you hear..;)

But regarding your uppgrade plans, is Akurate Kontrol really the way to go? I'm not sure about the difference in sound quality between Akurate Kontrol and an two channel Exotik? The Akurate kontrol is really only a (uppgraded, but still) Exotik with a RIIA preamp and multi channel possibilites, and you don't seem to need any of those?

In your situation, I would listen to Akurate DS first. And if I wanted to improve the preamp, I would look for a second hand Exotik and save a bundle! But maybee someone who have compared the two would disagree?

Regards
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I agree that Exotik and Akurate Kontrol are very close in analogue performance, but you mix up multi channel with DA board.

Original (analogue) Exotik: No phono, no digital connections, can be configured to stereo or 5.1 channels.

New Exotik or Akurate Kontrol (same product): Same as above plus MM/MC board and DA board.

Also agree that DS should be the first product to consider - compare it with your Squeezebox and tell us what you think!
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

You're probably right about the fact that I should go for an Akurate DS first, but the trouble is that my stereo system is in my summerhouse at the end of the garden, wherea the AV system (with Squeezebox) is in the main house. I can't get a decent wireless signal there at the moment, but hope to build an extension this year, whereupon the Linn system will move back into the main house and be network-connectable...and I'll get that DS then!

So, whilst I've got a standalone system, the next upgrade looks like the preamp. How much difference is there between the Exotik (original), Exotik (new) and Akurate Kontrol?

Thanks.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

rowlandhills wrote:How much difference is there between the Exotik (original), Exotik (new) and Akurate Kontrol?
I can't comment on sound quality since i haven't compared them, but the difference in price is huge. An analoge Exotik is possible to find here in Sweden for 1500-2000 Euro (somtimes even cheaper). And the Akurate Kontrol is approx 5000 new. You can even find a 2:nd hand Klimax Kontrol for that price if you look long enough. For two channels, i would never go for Akurate...
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

To try and clear up some confusion the Exotik (new) and the Akurate Kontrol are the same unit as Fredrik mentioned. The only difference is the name on the front panel. Linn decided that they had effectively killed the momentum of the Exotik with the long wait for the upgrades and poor product positioning. So they relaunched the same product with a new name - Akurate Kontrol - to try and generate more interest and make it look like they had a whole new line of products when only the Tuner and CD player were new (and even the CD player only partly so). The Akurate amps are also just re-badged Chakra 200 series units.

The original Exotik lacked both the (quite good) phono stage and the DAC for processing DTS, Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic and PCM datastreams but it still had a 5.1 channel analog architecture. The main board design and the power supply were carried over to the Exotik (new) so the sound should be similar although Linn does make minor upgrades as they go along so the new Exotiks/Akurate Kontrols may sound a bit better. I haven't compared the two so I can't say for sure. The phono stage and DAC upgrades are both available, separately or together, for older Exotiks so you can add their functionality if you wish.