Something really cool!

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

morego

Something really cool!

Post by morego »

Hi, I am new to this forum.

As introduction I want to show you something.
It is a Linn Adikt on a linear Biotracer by Sony.

It is like a big wale surfing on his big belly to the shore!
...and it sounds like that!

-----------klick to enlarge----------

Sunny regards,
Frank
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I remember the Biotracer. Cool name and I bet it was fun designing it. Did they try to achieve a musical experience? Probably not.

Thanks for the picture. Not quite sure I understand how 'a big whale surfing on his big belly to the shore' actually sounds! :D
morego

Linear tracking Biotracer, what a name!

Post by morego »

It is really cool!
In the moment it's my favourite record player: the famous Sony PS-X555ES.
I refurbished this nearly 30 years old player completely!
And it sounds absolutely ‘fantastique’. It has so many features. I will explain some later here.
The best one is: the electronic stylus force adjustment.

As the stylus force is adjusted by a control on the front panel and digitally read out, it can be easily adjusted even during record play. …Witch I adore! The Stylus Force System makes it possible use many different Systems in one time you just have to change the headshell with pick-up and set it to the calibrated value. The force has to be measured only once. I have 4 favourite MM Systems that I love: The Ortofon 2M Bronze, the Linn Adikt, a vintage Elac 792E and an Ortofon Red.

Yes, it is a musical experience (that soon will be upgraded by your Giao)… and with the Biotracer you can enjoy a variety in good sound, you cannot do so easy on other turntables

Enjoy a quick picture of the stylus force adjustment on the bottom (1.8 g).
On the top left you can see the Ortofon Bronze waiting for the ‘pit stop’!
--------klick to enlarge--------

Sunny regards,
Frank
morego

Post by morego »

I want to show you an other really cool picture.

The Gyger diamante of a Linn Adikt
on a linear Biotracer surfing the record groove.

You can see the backlight shining through the diamante and
even the Gyger II shape of the crystal visible.

------klick to enlarge-----

Sunny regards,
Frank
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Linear tracking Biotracer, what a name!

Post by lejonklou »

I remember it! But I don't think I ever listened to one and I haven't serviced one either.

Other "super Japs" - as well as "super American" and "super Swiss" turntables - have been such huge disappointments when compared to an LP12 that I've pretty much given up on all of them.
morego wrote:(that soon will be upgraded by your Giao)…
Aha!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

morego wrote:The Gyger diamante of a Linn Adikt
on a linear Biotracer surfing the record groove.
Cool picture!
morego

Post by morego »

lejonklou wrote:I remember it! But I don't think I ever listened to one and I haven't serviced one either.

Other "super Japs" - as well as "super American" and "super Swiss" turntables - have been such huge disappointments when compared to an LP12 that I've pretty much given up on all of them.
Well, 1986 it was in the same class as the LP12 with standard Aikto but it was far too expensive.
I think north of 2000 D Mark.
Listening to it is not a problem in the modern world I can link you a stream via my space. What's your taste?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

morego wrote:Well, 1986 it was in the same class as the LP12 with standard Aikto but it was far too expensive.
I think north of 2000 D Mark.
Listening to it is not a problem in the modern world I can link you a stream via my space. What's your taste?
I doubt it was anywhere near the LP12 in 1986. A simple detail like the main bearing positioned the LP12 in a class of it's own. No other manufacturer made bearings with high precision, because they didn't think it was important.

Thank you for the offer of sending a stream! I enjoy a lot of genres. But... Listening to recorded clips works really well for comparing turntable details. It needs to be relative, a comparison: A versus B - which is better?
It has very little value for judging absolute performance, like how good your turntable sounds.
morego

Post by morego »

It's getting worse! I doubt there is a bearing in my machine.
I agree with you that recordings are great to compare.
morego

Post by morego »

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Interesting!

Listening to the first 23 seconds on my phone (all I have where I am right now), I find Adikt to present the most skilled guitarist and drummer.

On the other two clips, the guitar playing feels rushed and the drummer is trying to speed it up. As if they are competing. Worse!
morego

Post by morego »

Thanks for your opinion. It was fun to make!
I cannot listen to it in the moment… I think I had it too much, yesterday.

All I can says is:
That it would have been helpful, if the record company could make the hole in the centre of the record. Here it is just a mm off centre.
The Adikt (‘big wale surfing on his big belly’) will compensate this better regarding rushing and timing.
But maybe it is a competition?
I am sure the third 23 sec of the clip will be the time of the Bronze. It is more specialized on the attack! Some people may find out the exact material composition of the steel strings?

…and I don’t like the Black.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

morego wrote:Thanks for your opinion. It was fun to make!
I cannot listen to it in the moment… I think I had it too much, yesterday.

All I can says is:
That it would have been helpful, if the record company could make the hole in the centre of the record. Here it is just a mm off centre.
The Adikt (‘big wale surfing on his big belly’) will compensate this better regarding rushing and timing.
But maybe it is a competition?
I am sure the third 23 sec of the clip will be the time of the Bronze. It is more specialized on the attack! Some people may find out the exact material composition of the steel strings?

…and I don’t like the Black.
I don't get the sense that the Adikt is compensating, rather that the Ortofons are failing to communicate the interplay & the artistry between the guitarist & the drummer. The Bronze focusses on the guitar but forgets the drummer and the music; the Black does a better job of adding in the drums but leaves them separate from the guitar rather than playing the same piece of music. Only the Adikt brings both together in a performance. Interesting comparison - thank you for sharing the sound clips.
morego

Post by morego »

Well, Mike Oldfield plays all the guitars and the all drums are performed by Simon Philips. Meaning artistic performance: it could well be that there is a competition between them. Hence, the piece is called :Taurus 3! I mean it’s not a bug it could be a feature.
tokenbrit wrote: I don't get the sense that the Adikt is compensating, rather that the Ortofons are failing to communicate the interplay & the artistry between the guitarist & the drummer. The Bronze focusses on the guitar but forgets the drummer and the music; the Black does a better job of adding in the drums but leaves them separate from the guitar rather than playing the same piece of music. Only the Adikt brings both together in a performance. Interesting comparison - thank you for sharing the sound clips.
Thanks, for your explanation of the phenomena. I wouldn’t be able to formulate it like that.
I meant with compensating: Linn Adikt gets better off with the flaws of the analogue source.

Furthermore, we are looking at 3 of the maybe 5 modern and hottest MM-pick-ups available. It’s not easy the say this one is failing or this one is worse!

If you want?
I have a stream available, representing the old analogue area of Shure and Elac .

Taurus 3 on a vintage ELAC 792E

http://www.burglinn.de/Taurus%203%20Elac%201.8%20g.m4a
morego

Post by morego »

If you are fan of my 'Groove Dancer' photos?

Here is the Biotracer with an Ortofon Bronze:

x--------klick to enlarge--------x

Have Fun...

I think it belongs together:
Enjoying music an admiring what happens at your 'machine'. :)
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

morego wrote:It’s not easy the say this one is failing or this one is worse!
Yes, it is! That is the essence of the Tune Method. You can instantly tell better from worse, on musical grounds. And the result will be the same with every other record.
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

lejonklou wrote:
morego wrote:It’s not easy the say this one is failing or this one is worse!
Yes, it is! That is the essence of the Tune Method. You can instantly tell better from worse, on musical grounds. And the result will be the same with every other record.
I agree with Lejonklou, this one is pretty obvious which is better. What ever qualities the Ortofons may have over Adikt is worth nothing in my world. I think your clips represent a good demonstration of how to judge better from worse by Tune Method. Also very interesting with such well done comparison of these well known cartridges, thanks!
the players of instruments shall be there..
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

No doubt the Adikt is best of the 4, but I found the ELAC vs Ortofons comparison interesting. Arguably, I thought the ELAC to be less detailed but more tuneful at times than the Bronze or the Black... Problem was it swam in & out of tune between guitar & drums, and started drowning when things got more complex...
morego

Post by morego »

Yes, I like the Elac, too. I use it play second hand records that haven't been cleaned and 7inches on 45. So fare I haven't been successful to find an old needle. This one is the after 'marked one' that can be used in all Elac 79XY.
morego

Got something new

Post by morego »

Hi, I have something new.
Gaio and a screwdriver! Well the driver is vintage ..but the Gaio is brand-new.
morego

Comparison

Post by morego »

Hi, and here is the 2nd round ..now with Gaio.

'Within' via Biotracer and Gaio

Pick up:

Linn Adikt warm
http://www.burglinn.de/Within%20Adikt%20warm.m4a

Linn Adikt cold
http://www.burglinn.de/Within%20Adikt.m4a

Ortofon 2M Black
http://www.burglinn.de/Within%20Black.m4a

Ortofon 2M Bronze
http://www.burglinn.de/Within%20Bronze.m4a

Elac 792E
http://www.burglinn.de/Within%20Elac.m4a

I put in the comparison Linn Adikt warm and cold, because I read it would need a tune to sound right.
morego

Post by morego »

Hi, you must look at this. I think its cool.

It all started with torque and the famous CAL-36/4 and me wanting to verify that screwdriver.
Now I can do it. I can calibrate it and I can tell how much it was off.

klick to enlarge:

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Very cool!

How did you get it? Do you know if the calibrator is calibrated? :)

Quite a few enthusiasts on this forum with a CAL-36/4. You could become popular!
morego

Post by morego »

I know I could offer a validation service, of the old second hand CAL36/4 s.

Mine was off 0.1 Nm!

Yes, it was pure luck. The torque Analyser is exactly made for the screwdriver. If you want take a look at the scale: Image
I bought in USA as NOS part. It was calibrated by Sturtevant Richmont 32 years ago and has a calibration sticker on:
I has a better scale than the driver itself. I can see exactly between 0.1 and 4.5 Nm how it is set up. Cool thing!
morego

Post by morego »

What I found out so far analysing 5 screwdrivers CAL 36/4:
1. Some can be quite old. I did not have a new one so far.
2. And a lot have missing parts or have the wrong part at the wrong position and work still some how.
3. It is a 3D puzzle to repair but I have fun doing it.
4. The most are not repeatable anymore. Means applying 0.50 Nm then 0.55 then 0.49 then 0.48. Reason see point 2

Using the Lejonklou’s tune method that fact is bad. Because if you have a repeatable instrument you just work the values up or down notch by notch and you will find the right setting but not when it is off like in point 4 above.

Recommendations:
Check if you have the installed the steel ball in the top.
Look that you have all 3 steel balls in the main bare ring. Remember point 3 above.
This both steel balls are mixed up some times they have different sizes.

If you need help you can ask.
Crazy! Some weeks ago I did not know that different torques have different sounds and now this post…….Crazy!