Old and cheap

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

Linntek

Old and cheap

Post by Linntek »

I'm on budget here...

LP12/Valhalla/Cirkus/Akito/Adikt (89' Black ash, all new)
Arcam Alpha 5+ (modified with Martin Clark's FLEA clock, new 95')
Arcam Alpha 5+ (Modified with LC audio clock & ZAP filter, SH)
Linn Intek (Tweeter monocards biuld in, SH)
Linn Powertek (Bass/mid monocards build in, SH)
Linn Keilidh (Black ash, latest spec, SH)

Edit: Linn Black IC's and K600 Spaker cable.

Looking for a decent CD player, does not have to be a Linn.
I'll post some pictures later when i get a website up and running.
Any comment's are more than welcome. Basicly i love the sound of my system but, as always, thinking about upgrades. Keep in mind my first line :wink:

For multi channel i also have a pair of Keilidh's for rear and a Centrik center speaker, all passive. These are power with some lousy Sony electronics (picture is ok on my Panny CRT and Panny projektor). Two DIY 12" Peerless SLS inwall subs powered by a NAD 2200.
Last edited by Linntek on 2007-12-19 21:46, edited 2 times in total.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hi Linntek and welcome here!

Budget systems should not be looked down upon! Well tuned they can be so much fun to listen to, and I have many times heard simple systems outperforming really expensive ones.

In fact I enjoy the extra challenge that a limited budget adds to the quest of setting up a really good system. Aktiv Keilidhs with Intek+Powertek? Sounds like very high scores on a value for money scale and definitely unique!

I am currently renovating an old Karik (new laser, perfectly adjusted etc), maybe that is a good idea for your system?
Linntek

Post by Linntek »

Well - thank you

Yes i have always thought it is fun to build a cheap system with second hand devices. It's a bit of a challenge.
A Karik is not a bad idea and will proberbly fit perfect in my system. I have even thought about the Mimik but i have been a bit scared about the spare part issue. You can buy one today and tomorrow it's dead and worth nothing.
Do I dare to ask how do you get new laser's for a Karik. Can you tell more about your Karik.

And may i add...
From 89" to a few years ago i played on the following:
LP12/Valhalla/akito/K18,k18mk2,K5
Arcam Alpha 5+ CD player
Arcam Alpha 2 integrated amp
Linn Helix 1
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Kariks and Mimiks share the same laser, which is available at several electronic part stores. So the Kariks and Mimiks are in reality possible to service, only Linn have chosen not to do it anymore. On the second hand market, I have noticed that they almost go for the same (ridiculously low) price, due to Linn's policy not to service them.

If you want the best possible performance after laser replacement, the unit needs to be fine tuned. This is done first with an oscilloscope and then by ear with a test record.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Buy a Karik! It's much better than Mimik. Plus the fact that you might stumble upon a Numerik for a good price.
Linntek

Post by Linntek »

I just wondered if it's overkill in my setup. If al my "fine" sources gets wacked in my Intek ???
Well - someday i might upgrade my amp's...
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

A good source is almost never overkill IMHO. And a Karik certainly isn't in your system, even an Ikemi would fit well.

When you have improved your CD source, the weakest part will most likely be the line level input/volume control of the Intek.

Regarding your two Arcam Alpha 5+'s, which clock mod do you prefer?
Linntek

Post by Linntek »

I really can't tell which clock is best since there has been many other mods at the same time. New opamp's in the Flea'ed one and the ZAP filter in the "LC" A5.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Ok. But on the whole, which one do you think sounds best? Just curious, since I recognize the names.
Linntek

Post by Linntek »

I can tell you that i prefer the sound of the LC player. It is more smoth and the music has a better flow. It would be an funny task to try both clocks in the same CDP. I have some spare DAC board's so maybe in the hollidays....
But... i have just put some items for sale and there is allready people responding - maybe a Karik is on its way :D
Hopefully they are all gone before i have a chance to compare clocks :D
Linntek

Post by Linntek »

I'm still on budget here...

LP12/Valhalla/Cirkus/Akito/Adikt (89' Black ash, all new)
Linn Keilidh (Black ash, latest spec, SH)

All stuff between my LP12 and Keilidh's are gone and iv'e bought a couple of Klouts to run aktive. That leaves me without a pre and a CDP. Serious upgrade advice is needed. Keep in mind my funds are not unlimited.

Option 1

AV5103
A RIAA stage (maybe a Kinki)
I will use my old Arcam or maybe a better DVD player as a transport
and the 5103 internal DAC's

Option 2

Kairn
Karik
Nummerik

Option 1 is more expensive but i get the surround option. Is the 5103 DAC's good enough or even bettet than a Numerik.

Maybe even a Classik as CDP/PRE.

You see i have a lot of questions and i really need a good advice and i'm open for all possible options.
Linntek

Post by Linntek »

Got myself a Kinki - best purchase ever !!
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Do you use the Kinki with the Intek or have you bought another pre amp?
Linntek

Post by Linntek »

Kairn Pro SMPS + two Klout's - aktiv Keilidh. It rocks. :D
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Sounds like a gerat system! :D

I just can't understand why you didn't get any advice when you asked for it... :| It's not like us. Do you still have a CD player?
Linntek

Post by Linntek »

I ran over a reasonabled priced Karik III in near mint condition. What a great player. A completely new way of listening to musik compared to my Arcam. And to think it proberbly gets wacked by newer Linn players !!!

I'm happy right now :wink:

If anyone have a Lingo.....
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Linntek wrote:Got myself a Kinki - best purchase ever !!
Thanks Linntek!

Great to hear that you enjoy it!
Linntek

Post by Linntek »

As you allready know i have two Klouts driving Keilidh's active. To the right speaker I have 3 meters of K600 cable and to the left speaker I have 6 meters. I wonder if it would be a good idea to move the Klout's very close to the speakers and mount one trebble and bass card in each amp. I would have to rum similar lenght of signal cable to each amp which can't be balanced (!) and a very short link cable between the two channels of the amp. Is this a bad idea or am i a genius.
My financial situation suggests a Black cable...

Thank you....
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

Linntek,

I can't see any problem or benefit in doing this. There's no problem with driving unequal lengths of K600 - that's what I do with my aktiv Kabers/Klouts. Neither is there a problem with mixing the aktiv cards within power amps (I'm sure I've done that with Keltiks and 4 Klouts when I was in retail) although you must label the amp channels clearly - in that respect it's easier to have a "treble" Klout and a "bass" Klout. Running long interconnects with short daisy chains won't be a problem either - the Kairn will be happy driving up to 10 metres and that's what you have to do with the latest range of pre-amps. My Klimax Kontrol has 3.5m interconnects to my Klouts. Incidentally, I find it better to separate the Klouts rather than stand one upon the other.

Again, the only issue I see is "why bother" unless you actualy want to move the Klouts so that K600 is hidden easily.

I'm sure more forum members will have advice too.

regards,

'Troll
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Moomintroll wrote: Again, the only issue I see is "why bother" unless you actualy want to move the Klouts so that K600 is hidden easily.
Agree
It's all about musical understanding!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Linntek, You've made quite an upgrade in your system. I'm sure your music listening is on a whole new level with the improvements you've made.

I don't know if this should be a separate topic but I was wondering what the general feeling was on cable lengths. I ask because of the unmatched K600 lengths mentioned above and the seeming agreement of a couple of posters that this is OK. At our store, and in my own systems, we have always used and recommended having equal length speaker cables. I recommend that all my customers use the same length of speaker cable and have had more than one find that the system did sound better when they switched from unequal lengths to the same length for both speakers. When I make up cables I am careful to make the length exactly the same.

Have others found equal lengths to be important or do most feel that different lengths work just as well?
Linntek

Post by Linntek »

Well - I certainly would prefer equal lenght but in my case it is just not possible/practical. I have not noticed any drawbacks (except cost) with unequal lenght, but then again, I have never had equal lenght's and K600 is not easy to mess around with :wink: . In theory equal lenght must be better. I'm running active so no crossover would be affeted by the increased resistance. Personally I think your listening room would have a bigger effect in case of sound differences between speakers if fx your speakers have diferent distance to your side walls or your sidewalls is of different "material".
Maybe I'm wrong - won't be the first time - I've had a Micro Seiki deck...

Nice to hear other opinions.

My Kinki Rocks, amazingly mine have Sn: 00024 unless serials are random. It certainly deserves a bigger audience...

I must admit i have bought it blindfolded but yet another lucky punch :D

Maybe i should post a picture of my setup but im not quite finished with my living room - I guess you'll have to wait a couple of weeks 8)
Broccoli

Post by Broccoli »

Linntek wrote: My Kinki Rocks, amazingly mine have Sn: 00024 unless serials are random.
They're not as far as I know. Mine has serial number 0002 :-)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Linntek wrote: Maybe I'm wrong - won't be the first time - I've had a Micro Seiki deck...
You're not alone - I once bought a Transcriptors Saturn as an "upgrade" from an AR XA... :)
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

All Lejonklou products are serially numbered, because that makes it easy for customers to keep track of age and version. Exact information about version, build date and history (such as service history or reported stolen) can always be obtained by simply sending an email and asking for it.

Thanks for the praise, I agree that this product deserves a much bigger audience. So far I haven't spent any time at all selling Kinki or Slipsik, everything has gone into development of future products. The plan has been that once the product range becomes more complete, I will start touring HiFi stores and shows.

This fall I intend to become more active on the sales front as well. Ideally I would like an arrangement that still allows me a lot of time for development.