ChrBea's system

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

ChrBea

ChrBea's system

Post by ChrBea »

Hello everybody,
after hanging around on this forum for some time, I guess it is time for an introduction (of my system).
Not so long ago (January 2012) I purchased a new MajikDSM from my local dealer. Shortly after that I replaced my old speakers with Majik140, who were upgraded with aluminium bases a few weeks later. Not completely happy with this setup I got a C4200 and switched off the internal amp of the Majik, which was already a nice improvement. I played a little with bi-amping, but at the end I stayed single-wired, as it simply fitted my ears best. The 2dB link inside the 140 was cut, which resulted in a more controlled/better bass. I lived some time (not so long after all) with this system, but reading about other products, that are supposed to sound more musical, it is hard for me to resist.
Result: I upgraded again :)
My recent purchases: Renew DS, Akurate Kontrol/1 and Tundra Stereo 1.2.
Connections are Linn silvers and Fredrik's K200 at optimal length.
What can I say? I haven't checked speaker placement recently (in fact, as there are some works done in our living room atm, it isn't that easy to find the perfect placement), but the system is already singing. Much more engaging than before. Much easier to follow the tune and diving deep into the music.
Once all work is done in our living room, I will post some pictures, but that might take a few more months.

Greetings from Luxembourg,
Christian
ChrBea

Post by ChrBea »

just a little description of this update path:
1) Renew DS --> C4200: running direct with no preamp showed more details than the MDSM, but wasn't right
2) Renew DS --> Tundra: that sounded already better, but still too direct
3) Renew DS --> Akurate Kontrol/1 --> Tundra: WOW. The pieces are seen (or heard) as a whole.

After 2) I connected the MDSM to the Tundra to compare it to my old system, and for me it is definitely an upgrade from the 4200. MDSM sounded more musical, than the Renew without pre. But RDS with AK/1 is simply excellent in all aspects so far. Cannot wait to get home and listen to some music. That is a good sign
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Welcome, and congratulations!
I also found the tundra to be better than a 4200, in my opinion, by a huge amount. Fred really nailed it with tundra 1.2
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you for the feedback, Christian! It feels great to hear that you are happy with your new system.

Posting you a power cord just now, as I heard your Renew came with an old one.
ChrBea

Post by ChrBea »

Had some friends over here yesterday who enjoy listening to music as well. Actually most of them are part of some groups and have released a few CDs so far, and it was the first time that they found my system alive.
They're (with a few exceptions) all B&W guys that prefer their Rotel or NAD amplification and until yesterday they found my Linn to sterile.
They couldn't believe that such a small amp could make so much fun.
We listened to following albums:
-ASG: Blood Drive
-ASG: Win Us Over
-Palms: Palms
-Pixies: Surfer Rosa/Come On Pilgrim
-Queens of the Stone Age: Era Vulgaris
and some other songs of the same kind. We all had a good time, as the sound was simply stunning.
Nice work Mr Lejonklou :)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Sounds like a nice setup and your recent upgrades, Renew DS and a good preamp, are certainly the right things to put the system in order. I have also found the Tundra 1.2 easily superior to the 4200 (but then I suppose I would be expected to say that). But getting a top notch source and a quality volume control into the system makes a huge musical improvement.

Now you should be able to just sit back and enjoy for a while.
ChrBea

Re: ChrBea's system

Post by ChrBea »

Haven't been around for some time, shame on me. Meanwhile I replaced the Akurate Kontrol with a Klimax Kontrol/1, but I still haven't found the time to upgrade my Tundra Stereo 1.2 or take pictures.
Both are on my ToDo-List, but each time I enter the living room, I have to listen to some music and then I forget about everything. I guess easiest will be to send the amp in for upgrading before leaving to holidays. That way I won't miss it so much.
Or get some Mono 2's as a replacement :)
ChrBea

Post by ChrBea »

A few more updates:
- Renew DS/0 has been replaced by a Klimax DS/1.
- Tarandus Monos (2.?) have been ordered
Saving now to get my KDS upgraded to Katalyst. If anyone needs a Renew DS/0, I'm selling mine ;)
LP12 Kore-KRad-Majik Tonearm-Slipsik 8 & KDS/3 > Sagatun & Tundra Monos 3 > A242
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

ChrBea wrote:Tarandus Monos (2.?) have been ordered
That's the spirit! Congrats
It's all about musical understanding!
ChrBea

Post by ChrBea »

Forgot to specify that I ordered Tundra Monos first. Sagatun has to wait.
LP12 Kore-KRad-Majik Tonearm-Slipsik 8 & KDS/3 > Sagatun & Tundra Monos 3 > A242
ChrBea

Post by ChrBea »

Back to Renew DS for approx. 3 weeks. KDS is on a journey to its birthplace to get katalysted.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Hi Christian,

Congratulations ! - another great upgrade to look forward to...that´s what I´d call a good start of the year :-)
Happy to read your comments when KDS/3 with Katalyst is back home and you have it up and running.

Cheers,

Marco
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
ChrBea

Post by ChrBea »

First impression of KDS/3: I do not remember the switch from Majik DSM to Renew DS/0 being so massive as upgrading from KDS/1 to KDS/3.
When I first got the Renew, I thought wow, what a difference in musical presentation. KDS/1 was better again, but not by that much. And now after listening to a few tracks on the KDS/3, this really seems like a different league. Does it sound more analogue, as some pretend, I do not know yet. It sounds different to what I was used to. More musical and more detailed in every aspect. I will post more details, once I am used to my upgraded system.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Hi Christian,

Congratulations on your source upgrade!
Haven't heard KDS/3 myself but from others so far nothing but praise.

....skip all appointments for the next days and head for a musical weekend - enjoy! ;-)
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
ChrBea

Post by ChrBea »

In my system, the KDS/3 sounds much more "live". You can enjoy details, you usually only experience during a live concert. So far I really enjoy the upgrade. Even the price is OK, when you consider what you get in return.
The weakest part of the system are probably the speakers now. JBL 3677 could probably be the solution if I would continue the "live" way, but SWMBO surely won't accept those in the living room :)
Anyway for now I am happy with what I have and will enjoy it for some time.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

ChrBea wrote:JBL 3677 could probably be the solution if I would continue the "live" way, but SWMBO surely won't accept those in the living room :)
Have you discussed it with her?
I'm sure it's possible to reach a solution, as the SWMBO surely has hobbies she REALLY enjoy, that you support her doing.

Personally, I actively supporting (and often also push) my wife making a reality of her dreams and interests.
One day, it going to be too late...

Good Luck!
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

ChrBea wrote:In my system, the KDS/3 sounds much more "live". You can enjoy details, you usually only experience during a live concert. So far I really enjoy the upgrade. Even the price is OK, when you consider what you get in return.
The weakest part of the system are probably the speakers now. JBL 3677 could probably be the solution if I would continue the "live" way, but SWMBO surely won't accept those in the living room :)
Anyway for now I am happy with what I have and will enjoy it for some time.
I can imagine that the 3677s would make a terrific system with the KDS/3. You surely will get "live feeling".
These speakers are way less obtrusive than one may think. They are quite flat, the front plate of the speakers in the room has a distance of about 40 cm from the wall. I have mine in the living room and they benefit greatly from a minimalist interior. Give them a try, you will not regret it.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
ChrBea

Post by ChrBea »

current situation:
L1004106_small.jpg
L1004105_small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ChrBea on 2020-10-22 10:30, edited 2 times in total.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

ChrBea wrote:current situation:
Wonderful room and set-up, JBL3677 would fit perfectly:-)

Matt
Matt

Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

matthias wrote:

Matt
And they going to be closer to the wall as well, less intruding than the 140s. If you like you could paint them white.

PS
Very stylish house/room, congrats
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Music Lover wrote:
matthias wrote:

Matt
And they going to be closer to the wall as well, less intruding than the 140s. If you like you could paint them white.

PS
Very stylish house/room, congrats
I agree with the above, including the classy looking room. You would have to move the plants to a different location but the JBLs are best somewhere between 4' and 5.5" from the back wall (in my house 114mm) and they are only 11.5" deep. So they would come into the room less than the current speakers.

Rather than painting them white I would recommend you use an automotive vinyl wrap. They already have a vinyl wrap on them so paint might not stick well. The vinyl wrap is relatively easy to apply and can be removed if you want to return to stock or change color. There are lots of colors and textures available including faux chrome and carbon fiber. I did a bit of research on this before I wrapped mine so you can PM me if you'd like some suggestions. You might also want to check this page for some photos of my 3677s with a matte midnight blue metallic wrap and some custom grills I made for them:

http://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtopi ... 7&start=50

Note that the blue appears darker under most lights - close in darkness to the original black.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Music Lover wrote:If you like you could paint them white.
Yes, or as the 3677s are designed to be placed behind cinema screen you could cover them with a hood made from acoustic transparent fabric similar to the Linn 5 series loudspeakers.

Matt
Matt

Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

carbon fiber, this needs consideration!
I'm a sucker for Formula 1...
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

Or just enjoy what you have CB. Looks fantastic and I expect produces what you want to hear.

The JBL isn't to everyone's taste (musically or physically or both) and neither is the M140 of course. Only choose if you've heard them and like them, not because a forum tells you to have them.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

sunbeamgls wrote:Or just enjoy what you have CB. Looks fantastic and I expect produces what you want to hear.

The JBL isn't to everyone's taste (musically or physically or both) and neither is the M140 of course. Only choose if you've heard them and like them, not because a forum tells you to have them.
I actually agree. There are many ways to lovely music in ones home. They all need care and attention to detail though.
As always. Your ears and brain should be satisfied, not someone elses.
Playing cd’s…………