Fred's System

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

wazza69

Fred's System

Post by wazza69 »

Hi Fred,

Out of interest, what is your day to day personal system?

Thanks
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hi wazza69! I assume you're asking me.

There's a thread here: http://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=448
wazza69

Post by wazza69 »

Hi,

I assume you use Linn silvers between your phono and amp when developing the Slipsik? I have a 5.1 and just deciding what to use.

Thanks
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Apologies, wazza69! I completely missed your question above.

Yes, I had and still have my best pair of Linn Silvers between my Slipsik 5.1 and preamp. Interestingly, this best pair is also my first - I bought it just when the Silvers were first released. They are vastly superior to any other pair I've heard.

By vastly superior, I mean that when I last brought them with me to a customer's home (he wanted me to compare and rank his many Silvers), we ended up thinking my pair was at least twice as good as his best. His Silvers had rather small variations, but it was still worthwhile sorting them and marking up a best pair for his most important source.

My best pair of Silver has also been my reference when trying to develop my own interconnect. And as such it's partly responsible for my inability to feel satisfied with what I've accomplished so far.

If buying second hand Linn Silvers, please be aware that many sell off the pairs that sound least good. So even if you find an original product (there are lots of scams), some of the worst sounding pairs are circulating.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

lejonklou wrote:My best pair of Silver has also been my reference when trying to develop my own interconnect. And as such it's partly responsible for my inability to feel satisfied with what I've accomplished so far.
Are later Silver's (although still the old style connector) made with lead-free solder do you think?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Charlie1 wrote:Are later Silver's (although still the old style connector) made with lead-free solder do you think?
I don't know exactly when Linn switched to lead free. Probably before 2006, when the European 'Reduction of Hazardous Substances' directive took effect.