Viso's system

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

Visoflex

Viso's system

Post by Visoflex »

It has taken me over 10 years to get this system together. I am well aware that it has been superceded, and that its former place at the top of the Linn hierarchy has been overtaken by new products, but I still enjoy listening to it, and therefore have no immediate plans for its replacement.

Sources

LP12.
Bought secondhand. Originally an early black ash plinthed 1990 vintage, but subsequent changes and upgrades over the past years have left only the top plate original. As this fits tightly to the plinth, my dealer reckons that there would be no advantage going to the bolted top plate. Run through a Lingo2 and Linto. The changes consist of the new Cherry plinth, Cirkus, Ekos2, T-Kable, Keel, and I'm now on my second Akiva.

Ikemi.
Bought new after trading in a Rega Planet. Still very happy with this.

Kremlin.
Bought secondhand. Listening to the Prom concerts is a sublime experience.

TV.
Panasonic LCD. The TV is cabled throught the AUX port, and it's own speakers are never used. It is surprising sometimes how good the BBC soundtracks are.

Control

Kairn Pro
I originally had a used Wakonda, and traded it for a secondhand Kairn-Pro.

Playback

Aktiv Espeks.
In cherry. A cancelled order at my dealers, gave me the opportunity to upgrade from tri-aktiv Keilidhs at an attractive price.

3 x Klouts.
Two were acquired new as part of the product run out programme and one bought ex-dem.

Other things

Cassette Recorder
Nakamichi CR-7. I also have a lifetime's supply of unused TDK metal tapes, acquired from dealers selling off their stock extremely cheaply.

Headphones
Stax 3030. My dealer reckoned these to be a better match with this system than the more expensive valve 4040. I managed to get the energiser in black, so it matches the rest of the components.

Cables
Linn black on input and output to the CR7. These will probably be replaced in time.
Linn silver - between everything else
Chord Odyssey - six long runs of speaker cable under the carpet, under the door and around two internal corners precluded the use of K600. Expensive but no other neat option.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Viso's system

Post by Azazello »

A relly nice system! :D
Visoflex wrote:no immediate plans for its replacement.
If I was in your posision I would get the Karin out of there as soon as possible! A late 5103 wouldn't cost you much and I think it would be a huge uppgrade. A Exotik would of course be even better and even a Klimax Kontrol would be a perfectly logical investment!

Regards

Edit: maybee you should look at the Ekos SE before the KK, but the 5103 and Exotik is in a different price range than both of those options.
bbyte

Post by bbyte »

There should be some good priced Exotiks ex-demo from dealers, as it was replaced by Akurate Kontrol. But do you need all the multichannel stuff? Upgrading to Ekos SE will be better, and then upgrading Kairn to Klimax Kontrol - which is non-replaceble by other preamplifilers. :)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Nice system. I agree that an Ekos SE and a Klimax Kontrol would be great upgrades but both are quite expensive. A cheap upgrade if it is possible without voiding the warranty would be to remove the speakers form the LCD TV altogether. You'll be surprised at the improvement to be had by getting those speakers out of the room.

As to intermediate preamp upgrades they probably would make an improvement but the 5103 is a pain to set up and early units can no longer be repaired. Later ones are expensive to repair if something fails. The Exotik would be a step up but I'd hold out for the KK - it is simply in another league compared to any of the other preamps.
bbyte

Post by bbyte »

Other good tweak is to remove all things that are between loudspeakers, and move all system on side wall. In my room, system is located behind sofa. The sound improvement is better, than changing cables, even to silver.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

That sounds like a great system! You sound very pleased with it and maybe you don't want to upgrade at all. But presenting yourself on this forum is bound to result in expensive advice... :D

I will join the choir:

Kontrol is of course outstanding, but it is also very expensive. If you don't feel like spending that kind of money, second hand analogue Exotiks (the original Exotik, without digital and phono inputs) can be found for very reasonable sums these days.

Big step up from the Kairn and you probably won't loose much money if you eventually sell the Exotik. That would give the most bang for the buck IMHO.

I haven't had any bad experience with Exotiks the way Axel describes. Did you encounter this bloodless sound in more than one unit, Axel? If it was only one, I would suspect it was faulty.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

When I wrote my post I was thinking about a 2:nd hand analogue version of the Exotik. I should have written that as well...
Visoflex

Post by Visoflex »

...therefore have no immediate plans for its replacement.
Famous last words!!

Sold the wife into slavery and have bought a Klimax Kontrol and Chakra Twin.

Just arranged for my dealer to deliver and install the kit next Saturday.
He'll take the active boards out and I'll put the Kairn and Klouts onto E-bay (unless anyone wants them in the meantime)
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Visoflex... I kind of wondered about this post. Did you actually get the KK and Chakra Twin? It didn't sound like a joke...

Could you describe how you like it?
Visoflex

Post by Visoflex »

I haven't got them yet, as I'm waiting for funds to be transferred into my current account prior to payment.

The dealer is scheduled to come over on Saturday 20th October to install them and to de-activate my speakers. Looking forward to it immensely.
Visoflex

Post by Visoflex »

The initial response was one of disappointment. The music had lost it's dynamics and detail, also the sound appeared to be constrained by the speaker boxes - not what I had anticipated as the result of an upgrade to Linn's flagship.

Klimax Kontrol, Chakra Twin, and K600 were connected first to some shop demo Akurate 242's and then back to my Espeks, to ascertain what presentation I preferred. The 242's were then replaced by my Espeks. The twin was then removed and the old active Klouts re-installed. The result confirmed anecdotal conversations that I have had with various Linn people, that in order to get the best out of Espeks, they need to be driven actively. This difference may not be so noticeable on the Akurate range, but it certainly does seem to be the case with the Espeks.

I kept the Kontrol and 2 x Akurate 3200's with aktiv cards were installed yesterday and I'm now looking forward to re-discovering my music during the long winter nights.

Many thanks are due to the good offices of Martin Kleiser of Beaconsfield - my dealer. Also grateful thanks go to "Anthony" of this board for his forbearance and patience throughout the tests and final installation.
Last edited by Visoflex on 2009-08-18 22:38, edited 4 times in total.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Visoflex wrote: Klimax Kontrol, Chakra Twin, and K600 were connected first to Akurate 242's and then back to the Espeks, to ascertain what presentation I preferred.
And that was...?

So 3Klout active was better than Twin passive on Espek. It was on musicality I guess.
What about the sound? Details, presentation etc

Then you got the 2*C3200 - please describe the improvements compared with the 3 Klouts?

While asking :wink: did you compare the amps passive? I.e one Klout vs 2channels used on the C3200 vs Twin.
It's all about musical understanding!
Visoflex

Post by Visoflex »

These are my opinions and prejudices only, and should not be taken as anything else.

Klimax Kontrol, Chakra Twin, and K600 were connected first to Akurate 242's and then back to my Espeks, to ascertain what presentation I preferred.

And that was...?

The 242 passively driven did not reveal musical details and nuances to the extent that I knew to be in the recording.

So 3Klout active was better than Twin passive on Espek. It was on musicality I guess.
What about the sound? Details, presentation etc

Yes. To my mind. My preference is for insight and detail. I like to try and follow instruments that are in the details of the mix, rather than the more obvious first level melody and harmony. The active set up allows this more easily. With the passive set up, this detail was a lot more subdued, or absent altogether.

Then you got the 2*C3200 - please describe the improvements compared with the 3 Klouts?

Simply one of control. The Klouts are excellent amplifiers in their own right, and I have enjoyed them for years. The main difference is in the handling of bass lines. Complex bass melodies, can "overhang". Notes can blend into one another, and the resultant thud loses detail. The 3200 does not suffer from this attribute.

While asking did you compare the amps passive? I.e one Klout vs 2channels used on the C3200 vs Twin.

No - removal of the active cards from a Klout is not a quick and easy exercise.
Last edited by Visoflex on 2009-08-03 18:07, edited 1 time in total.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Visoflex wrote:These are my opinions and prejudices only, and should not be taken as anything else.

Klimax Kontrol, Chakra Twin, and K600 were connected first to Akurate 242's and then back to the Espeks, to ascertain what presentation I preferred.

And that was...?

The 242 passively driven did not reveal musical details and nuances to the extent that I knew to be in the recording..
Ahhh...you compared Twin/242 with 3*Klout active Espek, correct?
It's all about musical understanding!
Visoflex

Post by Visoflex »

242 passive with Klimax Twin.
Espek passive with Klimax Twin
Espek active with 3 x Klouts