bbyte's system

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

bbyte

bbyte's system

Post by bbyte »

Hi Everyone!

I'm interested only in stereo, of course I know the unidisk and its possibilites but maybe 25 or even less sacd's are in my collection (jazz, electronic, rock, hard rock, metal) and over 500 cd's. Cd is still alive, but I also consider buying in the future (still saving money) for dream-like LP12... Now I have in my system borrowed from local hifi shop naim (heretic!) headline and napsc power supply. Connected to my grados and Majik sounds perfect...
Why Linn doesen't make a headphone amp? :|

My system:
Linn Majik CD (silver)
Linn Majik Kontrol (silver)
Linn Majik 4100 (also silver)
Linn Katan - Aktiv (maple, not silver)
Linn Sizmik 10.25 (also maple)
Linn Katan Stand (silver)
Linn K400 Speaker Cable (black, actually)
Ostoja Custom AV Stand (black + glass) - maybe upgrade later to Quadraspire
Grado SR-60 Headphones

Previous systems:
1) Linn Classik + Linn Katan
2) Creek 43 CD, Creek 43 Passive Pre, Creek 43 Power Amp + Epos M12
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

Hello Bbyte,
welcome to the Forum, lots of nice, helpful, people here.
I too often wonder why Linn don't do a headphone amp. The usual answer is that they can't better what others already do. If that's the case, does anyone on the Forum have any recommendations?

I also use my system just for stereo and have yet to find any SACDs that I really love, in fact if there is a choice of SACD or CD (rather than hybrid disc) I usually buy the CD as it will be cheaper. I think the Unidisk redbook performance is that good. I can certainly see the CD market getting smaller in favour of downloads over the next few years. HMV have just opened a new store in the UK where downloads can be purchased and copied directly on to memory stick.

My system:
Unidisk 1.1
LP12 Cirkus/Ekos 2/Arkiv/Trampolinn 2/Lingo/Linto
Exotik
Aktiv Kabers
Klout x 3
Sizmik 10.25
Linn Silver interconnects throughout.

'Troll (who bought his first LP12 27 years ago)
bbyte

Post by bbyte »

I'll also try a Stax 4040 System, they call it Earspeakers instead of Headphones...

But I would love to hear & buy some Linn Headamp - maybe "Delirik"?
bbyte

Post by bbyte »

News in my system. I don't know why they can't made naims in silver...
- Naim Headline (new, black)
- Naim HiCap PS (new, black)
connected with Linn Silver IC to Majik CD.

next upgrade: replacing all Linn Black IC's with Linn Silver IC's
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

You'll definitely like the Linn Silvers.

As for the headphone amp, how about the Linn Kantilever.
bbyte

Post by bbyte »

Linn Headik?
bbyte

Post by bbyte »

Another small improvement.
Linn Silver IC from CD to Kontrol. Need two more to connect to 4 channels, and another custom-width to connect to Sizmik.

And I'm going to knekt my bedroom. RCU + SH Classik Music + K104 or Unik.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Not bad, bbyte. What did you think of the change?

By the way, was it stock Linn silvers or home/shop made?
Old Linn silvers (connectors with spring inside) or new (connectors without spring)?
bbyte

Post by bbyte »

Still burning-in, but sounds really better. I've seen the previous version, but I have all two pairs with springs outside. Linn stock, typical 2x 1,2m.
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

lejonklou wrote:Not bad, bbyte. What did you think of the change?

By the way, was it stock Linn silvers or home/shop made?
Old Linn silvers (connectors with spring inside) or new (connectors without spring)?
Do you have a preference for old or new silvers?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Of those I have tested, the old ones have been a bit better, in my opinion. Makes me wonder why Linn did the change.

The new type sounds more direct and precise, but the old type has more flow.

Has anyone else compared them? Please share your experience!
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

lejonklou wrote:Of those I have tested, the old ones have been a bit better, in my opinion. Makes me wonder why Linn did the change.

The new type sounds more direct and precise, but the old type has more flow.

Has anyone else compared them? Please share your experience!
Using the tune method i prefer the new ones, let them burn in a bit longer .....'Flow' ?Come on Lejonklou you should know better than that
I know that tune
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Lego wrote:'Flow' ?Come on Lejonklou you should know better than that
I'm not sure if that comment was in the spirit of a :wink: or a :roll:, but rest assured I always mean Better=Better Tunedem.

In my opinion, "flow" is a part of the Tune Method. Do the musicians let the music progress in a way that is understandable = does it flow?

The old Silver interconnects that I compare with are soundwise less clear and exact, but they have a musical flow that makes them perform better when judged with the Tune Method. The new ones are sharper, but don't have as much flow. The difference is similar to how the ESS software for the Unidisk 1.1 and 2.1 affects the sound: 227 is sharp and exact, but 221 has flow and performs better.

Please note, however, that no two interconnects sound exactly alike and the actual quality has gone up and down over the years. The old ones I refer to are a pair that I once picked out from quite many (I had the opportunity to pick the best sounding ones), while the new ones I have compared with (several pairs) have been recently (2007) aquired without any selection.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I hadn't realized there were new Silvers until I read the posts here. My system is all wired with the originals and it has been a few months since I delivered anything that came with Silvers. Then last weekend I was demonstrating one Linto vs. two Lintos for a friend and noticed that the grip of my T.Kable RCAs was much firmer than the Silvers going to the Klimax Kontrol. Surprise! My T.Kable (which came with my Ekos SE) has the new connectors on it and I hadn't even noticed!

The funny thing is I didn't like the idea of the original springs inside RCAs (yet another connection point) and thought the Silvers might sound better with Black connectors. So I made up a pair of Silvers with Black plugs and found out how wrong I was! The Silver RCAs blew the Blacks away.

Looking at my stock of cables I found that I had a pair of new Silvers that I hadn't opened (as well as a new pair of the Balanced Silvers). The new Silvers have the new one piece RCAs so I will be able to do some comparisons with the old ones. I currently have the new Silvers burning-in on the Vidar and will get back to you with my impressions once I have been able to do a comparison.

Fredrik, interesting to hear about hand picking Silver pairs - it reminds me of the old days when I went through a couple of dozen Naim MC phono boards to pick out the best pair. But now you've made more work for me :( as I'll have to go through all my Silvers and prioritize them - best on the Lintos, next on the Ikemi, next on the Pekin, etc. It never ends!
bbyte

Post by bbyte »

Already bought Classik Music (Silver SH) for bedroom system, still hunting for good condition Linn Kans. System nearly complete, just add rcu, wires and setup...