Sunbeam's Rig

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Sunbeam's Rig

Post by sunbeamgls »

A need to shift boxes for cleaning purposes today (and will try and make a better job of the cables behind the amp rack when they go back).

KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

I updated the system diagram too:

KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Wow, great job sunbeam!

These diagrams can be very useful when trying to improve a system or finding a fault.

What I would add to make it even more useful is the power scheme. Every power cord (type and position in strip), every strip, the wall outlets used and their mains wiring from the fuse box.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

This is something ...

I agree with Mr. Lejonklou about upgrades, mains power issue (I'm also in process of evaluating with Tune M. in my system) ...

What I would add is possible upgrade on Linn Black Analogue on rear speakers link ... with Linn Silver ...

This must sound fantastic ...
Music First ...
Vlado
John.P

Post by John.P »

sunbeamgls wrote: 2020-01-10 00:57 I updated the system diagram too:

Great job Neil, I've created a diagram of my system using yours as a template. Seeing this reminds me that I need to update it now that I have the surround module in my DSM and removed the Exotik from the system.
Melco N1A/AQ Vodka/Akurate DSM/AQ Forest/Akurate EXaKtbox10/Silvers/Akurate 4200 x2/K400 x1.5/Kabers
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

John.P wrote: 2020-01-10 14:05
sunbeamgls wrote: 2020-01-10 00:57 I updated the system diagram too:

Great job Neil, I've created a diagram of my system using yours as a template. Seeing this reminds me that I need to update it now that I have the surround module in my DSM and removed the Exotik from the system.
Hi John

That's exactly why I needed to update mine, although I was removing an Akurate Kontrol/0/D (but same effect). That was 8 months ago, so lagging a bit.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

V.A.MKD wrote: 2020-01-10 11:56 This is something ...

I agree with Mr. Lejonklou about upgrades, mains power issue (I'm also in process of evaluating with Tune M. in my system) ...

What I would add is possible upgrade on Linn Black Analogue on rear speakers link ... with Linn Silver ...

Thanks VAMKD.

The rears are for movies only, I don't listen to surround music, so they're lower priority. Even to the extent that I would never have purchased Twenty.21 as main speakers - they're only there to be a voiced match and purchased used - as they're not a great way to spend the sort of money they cost new. I'm looking for Twenty.22 to get to sensible used prices to try those as an alternative. The Linn black analogues are 7m long so replacing them with silvers is not a trivial spend. I'd rather replace with cat 7 cable and add another AEBox6/1 for the rears. I feel it best to save the money spent on silvers to contribute to the eventual purchase of a third AEBox :)
Last edited by sunbeamgls on 2020-01-16 17:07, edited 1 time in total.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

lejonklou wrote: 2020-01-10 11:18 Wow, great job sunbeam!

These diagrams can be very useful when trying to improve a system or finding a fault.

What I would add to make it even more useful is the power scheme. Every power cord (type and position in strip), every strip, the wall outlets used and their mains wiring from the fuse box.
Thanks Fredrik.

I'll think about adding mains scheme at some point, that would be quite some extra level of complexity and perhaps best achieved by putting together a parallel diagram rather than another overlay.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Looks logical especially if rears are only for ... = lower priority ...
sunbeamgls wrote: 2020-01-16 11:57
V.A.MKD wrote: 2020-01-10 11:56 This is something ...

Thanks VAMKD.

The rears are for movies only, I don't listen to surround music, so they're lower priority. Even to the extent that I would never have purchased Twenty.21 as main speakers - they're only there to be a voiced match and purchased used - as they're not a great way to spend the sort of money they cost new. I'm looking for Twenty.22 to get to sensible used prices to try those as an alternative. The Linn black analogues are 7m long so replacing them with silvers is not a trivial spend. I'd rather replace with cat & cable and add another AEBox6/1 for the rears. I feel it best to save the money spent on silvers to contribute to the eventual purchase of a third AEBox :)
Music First ...
Vlado
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

A gratuitous set of pictures of stereo Tundras. Maybe it will cheer us up a bit in these interesting times.

Last edited by sunbeamgls on 2020-05-20 23:18, edited 1 time in total.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you Sunbeam!

Indeed those photographs cheered me up.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

Source first and all that...

Akurate Exakt DSM has made way for a Klimax System Hub (2020) which has been a nice lift up in the easiness with which the music is produced by the system, particularly noting a pleasing solidity to the bass lines, more defined in driving the tune along.

Nice :)

snatex

Post by snatex »

Congrats on the new addition. How does it compare to your analog source?
LP12 / Entity / Sagatun Monos / Tundra Monos / Harbeth M30.1 / Rythmik E22's
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

It’s about time Sunbeam. You’ve been listening to a mullet for far too long!
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

Spannko wrote: 2021-06-20 18:58 It’s about time Sunbeam. You’ve been listening to a mullet for far too long!
An extremist interpretation! :)

Purely in cost terms (which, I know, is not the correct way to determine mulletness because its about performance not $) with the AEDSM in place:
Source: £7.5k
Amps: 3x £2.9k
Speakers: £6k

All at list but when you look at how much I actually paid because the mix of new, ex-dem, used etc. then its a very different balance indeed! Plus the complication of the cost of upgrade to the Exaktbox :)
Last edited by sunbeamgls on 2021-06-23 14:07, edited 1 time in total.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

snatex wrote: 2021-06-20 18:42 Congrats on the new addition. How does it compare to your analog source?
My analogue source has been outclassed by the rest of the system for at least a decade.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

Updated system diagram

V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Great, just great ...
Music First ...
Vlado
Robert Lake

Post by Robert Lake »

I can see that you dumped the Akurate Kontrol 0 for Linn's recent surround module for the DS players. What is you opinion on that upgrade when it comes to playing music DVDs?
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Congratulations. That certainly should be a nice upgrade. No phono stage?
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-06-22 22:16 Congratulations. That certainly should be a nice upgrade. No phono stage?
Time to get a Slipsik ;-)
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-06-22 22:16 Congratulations. That certainly should be a nice upgrade. No phono stage?
Good point Thomas - I need to add that. I went with a used Rega Fono - given that I play vinyl about 3 times per year at most, just needed something functional but respectable.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

Robert Lake wrote: 2021-06-22 15:33 I can see that you dumped the Akurate Kontrol 0 for Linn's recent surround module for the DS players. What is you opinion on that upgrade when it comes to playing music DVDs?
Essentially, I don't play music DVDs per se. I don't like the falseness of the surround processing on most music disks. For concerts though, where the surround gives you a sense of the scale of the venue, its really very good - going full Exakt on the centre and rears gave a much bigger upgrade in the experience than I was expecting. I found Roger Waters' The Wall live a very emotional experience - so much of its politics being so relevant today.

FYI, some pics of the surround module install here:

http://audiophilemusings.blogspot.com/2 ... -2018.html
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

Another update to the diagram following thread feedback. Crowd sourcing in action :)

sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

I took some updated pics, so here they are: