Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Sunbeam's Rig

Post by Hermann »

..Excuse me, double post
Last edited by Hermann on 2022-02-24 15:52, edited 1 time in total.
Trust your ears
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

sunbeamgls wrote: 2022-02-24 00:44 I took some updated pics, so here they are:

Very nice system, thanks for sharing.
Trust your ears
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Hermann wrote: 2022-02-24 15:52
sunbeamgls wrote: 2022-02-24 00:44 I took some updated pics, so here they are:

Very nice system, thanks for sharing.
Nice combination of analog and digital, +1
Tony Tune-age
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Nicely sorted looking system. I was going to make a comment about the center channel and radiation but I think I'll leave it.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

ThomasOK wrote: 2022-02-24 17:47 Nicely sorted looking system. I was going to make a comment about the center channel and radiation but I think I'll leave it.
Thanks Thomas

Would that have lead to a "heated" discussion?
(the radiator behind the centre rack is permanently turned off, just FYI)
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

A re-prioritisation of investment has been implemented. After considering how much the system actually gets used for serious movie watching (once or twice per month) then it seems to me that the equipment required for Exakt active operation of centre and rear channels is perhaps a little over specced for that level of use and some funds could be released to enhance the stereo channels. So the Exatkbox-i/1 (8 channel DAC and 8 channels of power amps) that was actively powering the rear channels has been re-purposed. It is now in "pass through" mode which means that each DAC / power amp deals with the full range signal for each channel. The centre and rear speakers have been converted back to passive and the Exaktbox-i/1 is now driving all 3 of those channels.

This frees up 1x Exaktbox/1 and 1x Tundra Stereo 2.5 Power Amplifier, releasing funds to contribute to the major upgrade - a pair of PMC fact.12 speakers and a Klimax Exaktbox/2 (Organik).

KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

sunbeamgls wrote: 2023-01-09 23:11 A re-prioritisation of investment has been implemented.
Well done! How do you like the new speakers? Never heard them...
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

Tendaberry wrote: 2023-01-10 13:52
sunbeamgls wrote: 2023-01-09 23:11 A re-prioritisation of investment has been implemented.
Well done! How do you like the new speakers? Never heard them...
I've heard them at quite a few shows and they've always been in the top 3 systems I've enjoyed at those shows and sometimes the best system. Quite the achievement given the cost of some systems at those shows.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Very tidy as always. Glad you're enjoying them.

Anything they particularly do better than the previous PMCs?
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

Charlie1 wrote: 2023-01-10 18:30 Very tidy as always. Glad you're enjoying them.

Anything they particularly do better than the previous PMCs?
Just everything, except, perhaps, musicality, at which they are equals. But the fact.12 does that musicality with the addition of deeper more controlled bass, greater spacial seperation (without impacting on the integrity of the musicians playing together) and a feel of effortlessness in terms of the pace of the music. Everything is that bit more refined / more clearly defined too.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Very nice.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Do they bring you closer to the magic of music?

That’s what it’s all about for me.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Nice looking setup. Even though I am aware of PMC, I'm not that familiar with the lineup as you don't see them as often over here. So I looked up the Fact 12 and was interested to note that the specifications list recommended torques for the three drivers. That's something I haven't seen before.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

ThomasOK wrote: 2023-01-11 18:00 Nice looking setup. Even though I am aware of PMC, I'm not that familiar with the lineup as you don't see them as often over here. So I looked up the Fact 12 and was interested to note that the specifications list recommended torques for the three drivers. That's something I haven't seen before.
Its good huh? That came from a request I made for my previous Twenty.26 on the PMC Facebook page. They thought it was a good idea so added it to the spec sheet of most models. A good response to a customer request.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

lejonklou wrote: 2023-01-11 02:05 Do they bring you closer to the magic of music?

As per my response above Fredrik, I don't think they are more (nor less) musical than my active Exakted Twenty.26, but they add so much more to the pleasure of the experience, mainly their ability to resolve stuff and timing effortlessly - they're better to enjoy the music for a longer period of time without any loss of dynamics. I hope that makes some sense.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

sunbeamgls wrote: 2023-01-12 17:34
lejonklou wrote: 2023-01-11 02:05 Do they bring you closer to the magic of music?

As per my response above Fredrik, I don't think they are more (nor less) musical than my active Exakted Twenty.26, but they add so much more to the pleasure of the experience, mainly their ability to resolve stuff and timing effortlessly - they're better to enjoy the music for a longer period of time without any loss of dynamics. I hope that makes some sense.
Oh, and your "little amp" is fine driving the 4x bass drivers :)
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

sunbeamgls wrote: 2023-01-12 17:34 As per my response above Fredrik, I don't think they are more (nor less) musical than my active Exakted Twenty.26, but they add so much more to the pleasure of the experience, mainly their ability to resolve stuff and timing effortlessly - they're better to enjoy the music for a longer period of time without any loss of dynamics. I hope that makes some sense.
That must be an odd occurrence. I always find that two different speaker models will differ in musicality. Can't think of any exception to that rule.
sunbeamgls wrote: 2023-01-13 00:28 Oh, and your "little amp" is fine driving the 4x bass drivers :)
Thank you, that is very nice to hear! :)
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

lejonklou wrote: 2023-01-13 00:44
sunbeamgls wrote: 2023-01-12 17:34 As per my response above Fredrik, I don't think they are more (nor less) musical than my active Exakted Twenty.26, but they add so much more to the pleasure of the experience, mainly their ability to resolve stuff and timing effortlessly - they're better to enjoy the music for a longer period of time without any loss of dynamics. I hope that makes some sense.
That must be an odd occurrence. I always find that two different speaker models will differ in musicality. Can't think of any exception to that rule.
Maybe enjoying the music for longer means they're more musical? My above comments are based on enjoyment of a single track - musically very enjoyable on both. Is assessing musicality a point in time or over a longer time period? Has this aspect been debated previously?
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

For those who like to truly geek-out, I finally updated the system diagram.