Ozzzy189's little linn system.

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Ozzzy189's little linn system.

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Hi all. Thought I'd introduce myself and my system.

It all started about 9 years ago when a pal suggested a Linn Classik.
I bought one with b+ w cdm1nt's.
I then added an lk85 to bi amp passive.
I then bought an lk140 and ninkas with active cards for bi amp activ.
Classik then sold to make way for second hand genki.
Now missing pre amp, so bought second hand kairn.
It's now 2011 and in April I buy a second hand majik ds -thanks to mrs oz for the 1k towards it for my 40th! XXX lol
I sell the genki the next day!
Today the kairn says goodbye and I post here to try and find a Dynamiked exotik.

I'm 40,like sea angling, tournament casting, golf (not played much since resigned membership), and music and linn!
I love most music, especially electronica, gothy 80's and 90's stuff, rock metal, and Adele !
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Feel free to ask questions and offer advice and constructive criticism. Room is very live and needs more blinds and soft furnishings.
Amps are next. Thinking of 2250 or c4200's etc. Think majik amps probably not going to be a big enough upgrade. Ninkas staying for the long haul I think!
Cheers.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Welcome here, Ozzzy!

Nice system you've got!

To add something constructive, I suspect that your left speaker if too far to the left. Have their positions been properly evaluated? If you invest a couple of hours in that, perhaps together with a friend who's good at the Tune Method (or you could hire someone), I think your system will sound about twice as good. It's really one of those details that makes a massive difference.

By the way, I like your taste in music. :)
Linncredible

Post by Linncredible »

Hi Ozzzy!
You haven't considered a Kikkin? Really great bang for the buck!
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Hi thanks for the replies!
I had the speakers tune demmed, they're about right, the pics are deceiving, I'll see if there's a better pic.
I looked at the kikkin, but i really want to keep it linn and try and natch the system looks wise too - to keep Mrs oz something like happy. :)

Last edited by Ozzzy189 on 2011-08-30 22:05, edited 1 time in total.
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

lejonklou wrote:Welcome here, Ozzzy!

Nice system you've got!

To add something constructive, I suspect that your left speaker if too far to the left. Have their positions been properly evaluated? If you invest a couple of hours in that, perhaps together with a friend who's good at the Tune Method (or you could hire someone), I think your system will sound about twice as good. It's really one of those details that makes a massive difference.

By the way, I like your taste in music. :)
Great! Cheers. :)
The cure, the mission, fields of the nephilim, nefilim, HIM, the 69 eyes,
W. A. S. P., Marilyn manson, iron maiden, dire straits, jean Michel jarre, kraftwerk, erasure, Megadeth, etc etc etc... :)
Great forum by the way.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Don't hear much of some of those bands any more, not even on the radio. I recall buying 'Tower of Strength' by The Mission when it came out. That was quite good, and they did an OK cover of Aerosmith's 'Dream On' as a b-side too. Not familiar with their earlier stuff. I imagine you were into The Jesus and Mary Chain too :O)

Very nice looking system by the way, and welcome.
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Thanks charlie. I have a j+ m c best of, that's all. The mish keep bring themselves out of retirement, but I'm not sure who's with Wayne now. Their last studio album, god is a bullet, is meant to be stunning. Released a couple of years back now. Fields released mourning sun in 06, decent, but only cmc really.
There's a mission /nephilim gig in London on 22nd October believe it or not!
Any thoughts on the amps?
My dealer tune demmed the ninkas, and i know that improvement to the room acoustics will be my best value upgrade for now. :)
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Ozzzy189 wrote:I had the speakers tune demmed, they're about right, the pics are deceiving
What's the distance between the inner upper corners of the Ninka's?
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

lejonklou wrote:
Ozzzy189 wrote:I had the speakers tune demmed, they're about right, the pics are deceiving
What's the distance between the inner upper corners of the Ninka's?
2480mm or 8'3 and a half.
Left speaker is 540 or 21 and a half inches from back wall, and 710 or 2'4" from the side wall to the rear corner.
The right speaker is the best same from the rear wall, and 1220 or 48" from the side wall to the inner corner.
The music also sounds better without the coffee table there, and the sweetspot is about three feet forward from where the sofa is!
Not ideal I think you'll agree!
What are you thinking mr Lejonklou? :)
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

Ozzzy189 wrote: I have a j+ m c best of, that's all.
I played Psychocandy to my kids (well, the start of the first track) and their faces were a picture. I think the phrase "turn it off" was all I could make out through the feedback.
Pete
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

springwood64 wrote:
Ozzzy189 wrote: I have a j+ m c best of, that's all.
I played Psychocandy to my kids (well, the start of the first track) and their faces were a picture. I think the phrase "turn it off" was all I could make out through the feedback.
Aye, bit noisy! I prefer April skies, a nice tune in there! :)
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Ozzzy189 wrote:Any thoughts on the amps?
I'm not familiar your existing ones, so can't advise. All I can say is that the upgrade from 6100 to 4200, with Ninkas, was nice, but not great value for money if I have bought it brand new, IMHO. I bought mine 2nd hand, at a good price, so was happy enough. The main advantage of the 4200 was that it helped resolve an issue I had prior to that. As my front end had improved, it revealed that the 6100/Ninkas combination was not very refined up top and sometimes this became a minor distraction, even when everything was very well tuned. I would have happily stayed with 4200/Ninkas though. As you say, your Ninkas should be fine for a long time yet and they are really good when perfectly setup.

If your existing amps sound fine, then a better source will probably put more of a smile on your face. The Renew DS is such good value, if you can stretch that far. In fact, it might be better to get one now, whilst they are still available.

What's your budget for all this btw?
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Charlie1 wrote:
Ozzzy189 wrote:Any thoughts on the amps?
I'm not familiar your existing ones, so can't advise. All I can say is that the upgrade from 6100 to 4200, with Ninkas, was nice, but not great value for money if I have bought it brand new, IMHO. I bought mine 2nd hand at a good price, so was very enough. The main thing was that the 4200 helped resolve an issue I had prior to that. As my front end had improved, it revealed that the Ninkas are not so refined up top and sometimes this became a minor distraction, even when everything was very well tuned. I would have happily stayed with 4200/Ninkas though, but 140s came up very cheap, so I gave them a try. As you say, your Ninkas should be good for a long time yet and they are really good when perfectly setup.

I think you're right to seek a pre-amp. If your existing amps sound fine, then a better source will probably put more of a smile on your face. The Renew DS is such good value, if you can stretch that far. In fact, you might be better of getting one now, whilst they are still available.
Hi. A friend has suggested that I take his akurate ds, and i sell my mDS to his other mate. A cheap upgrade that should only cost me 300 quid.
So with the hunt for an exotik and the akurate ds original version hopefully coming soon, that's it til I think of amps.
Thing is, i think the ninks are loads better activ, so really want to keep it that way.
I was hoping that c200 / akurate would have been a big jump up, but will see what's about over the next couple of years.
Currently using kimber 8tc and 4tc with a cheap run of speaker cable and kimber silver streak ic's.
Can get some k600, but not sure if linn silvers would be much better than what i have now.
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Budget? Well, comes in bits and bobs! However its tight at present, got 450 for my kairn, so an exotik shouldn't be too bad, and the 300 quid for the DS change, probably about 700 on those two changes.
The amps will have their own larger budget when things allow and I have a clear plan.
:)
Would love a renew, but thats just not an option at present! :(
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Ozzzy189 wrote:I was hoping that c200 / akurate would have been a big jump up, but will see what's about over the next couple of years. Currently using kimber 8tc and 4tc with a cheap run of speaker cable and kimber silver streak ic's. Can get some k600, but not sure if linn silvers would be much better than what i have now.
Sounds like you're looking for a 2nd hand 4200, so I think you will be pleased with the results. Just make sure it is not the balanced version.

Don't know what Kimber cable is like. I am selling some K600 though, in the for sale section. Open to offers. It's big stuff though and not very wife-friendly. I think you'd be better off with K400, if you're going to be bi-aktiv.

anthony, on this forum, sometimes has 2nd hand Silvers for sale at a good price. I'd start with a pair between source and pre-amp, if you want to try them.
Last edited by Charlie1 on 2011-08-31 10:01, edited 1 time in total.
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

Charlie1 wrote:Sounds like you're looking for a 2nd hand 4200, so I think you will be pleased with the results. Just make sure it is not the balanced version.
Charlie - Are you trying to stop me selling my 4200 when the time comes? :)

With both K600 and Linn Silvers, if you're happy to buy second hand then you shouldn't lose any money except postage when you resell them. Prices are very stable indeed. I'd say that it's worth trying them to make your own mind up.
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
Silvers, K400, Hutter rack
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Cheers guys.
The k600 is a gift, so nothing to lose but ozzpoints off the mrs!
Probably ask mark grant to terminate it for me, and i use half metre ic's, so if i like silvers, can half them and do the same as per the k600. Just options for now.
Retermiation probably affects the resale a lot though, but just thinking aloud more than anything.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Charlie1 wrote:Charlie - Are you trying to stop me selling my 4200 when the time comes? :)
Not at all.
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

Only teasing Charlie. :) I agree that a phono 4200 is far for useful and resaleable.

Ozzzy - In terms of the Linn silvers, you'll find that most people on here are of the opinion that although shorter interconnects are generally better, there's something about the way that the factory make them which makes a pair of 1.2m factory soldered silvers sound better than a pair of 0.6m silvers which have had one end resoldered, even by a good dealer or someone like Mark Grant.
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

rowlandhills wrote: Ozzzy - In terms of the Linn silvers, you'll find that most people on here are of the opinion that although shorter interconnects are generally better, there's something about the way that the factory make them which makes a pair of 1.2m factory soldered silvers sound better than a pair of 0.6m silvers which have had one end resoldered, even by a good dealer or someone like Mark Grant.
Perhaps its the solder they use? Lead free? Preparation of cable with deoxit gold etc etc.?
The silver streak are a good ic, but I will look at borrowing some silvers at some point.
Sticking with tri amped Ninkas, one amp per pair of drive unit that way, i know the ninks aren't a true 3 way speaker, but the musicality and timing improved when I went to three amps imo .
:)
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

Ozzzy189 wrote: Perhaps its the solder they use? Lead free? Preparation of cable with deoxit gold etc etc.?
All of those points and more, probably. You might find this an interesting read: http://www.lejonklou.com/?page=41
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Ozzzy189 wrote:What are you thinking mr Lejonklou? :)
No, I just thought they seemed far apart, and close to the corner as well. But it's perfectly possible that they should be exactly where they are.

If you decide to try Linn Silvers and/or K400/600, I suggest you try the real thing in both cases. No homesoldered or cut down Silvers and speaker cable properly terminated with Linn Knekts. And beware that even Linn made Silver interconnects can vary considerably in performance.
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

lejonklou wrote:
Ozzzy189 wrote:What are you thinking mr Lejonklou? :)
No, I just thought they seemed far apart, and close to the corner as well. But it's perfectly possible that they should be exactly where they are.

If you decide to try Linn Silvers and/or K400/600, I suggest you try the real thing in both cases. No homesoldered or cut down Silvers and speaker cable properly terminated with Linn Knekts. And beware that even Linn made Silver interconnects can vary considerably in performance.
I'll probably stick with mine, but would be nice to compare!