More wants more setup

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

More wants more

Post by More wants more »

Majik LP12 or a secondhand unit will probably be the choice.

Cheers,
LP12/Trampolin2/Cirkus/Radikal/Ittok LVIII/Adikt/Kore/Slipsik 6 prototype/KK/ATC SCM 50 ASL
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Is there a good LP12 dealer in Denmark? If not, then what about Tonlaget in Sweden or is that too far to go?

I would stay in close contact with your nearest good LP12 dealer and just wait and see if anything nice comes into the shop. There is bound to be the occasional LP12 traded in. I'm not against the Majik LP12 at all, but you can get more performance for your money buying a used deck from a trusted dealer.

Alternatively, I notice Christian is currently selling his LP12. Perhaps call Anders at Tonlaget for confirmation that it is a good one. Just be aware that the Akito 1 bearings tend not to last so well. The Lingo 2 means the deck should be more musical than the Majik LP12.

I would never buy an LP12 from the online auction sites.
More wants more

Actually my local Linn dealer have made me a nice offer on a LP12, like Majik but with Akito 2 arm. I might go for that. Together with Radikal and Trampolin 2.

Other upgrades, like Rubikon or Keel i might do at Tonlaget.

I have been in contact with Christian and it's not quite what i'm looking for.

Thanks for the tip of online auctions.
If buying a secondhand it will probably from lokal vendor.

I'm not in a hurry so will just see what turns up.

Cheers,
LP12/Trampolin2/Cirkus/Radikal/Ittok LVIII/Adikt/Kore/Slipsik 6 prototype/KK/ATC SCM 50 ASL
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

More wants more wrote:Actually my local Linn dealer have made me a nice offer on a LP12, like Majik but with Akito 2 arm. I might go for that. Together with Radikal and Trampolin 2.
That would be very good indeed. With the exception of a good-quality used Ekos2 (quite hard to find now I should think), then probably the best bang for buck you can get from an LP12 setup.

At least you would not have to worry about the quality of a new arm and an Akito2 should last you a great many years to come. Besides, there is always something nice about buying new - no question marks over history and all shiny :O)

Add a Lejonklou phono stage and you'll be flying...

Have you seen this: http://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1097

PS If the Radikal you mention isn't new, then check if it will come with the Dynamik PSU upgrade.
More wants more

Yes, have heard mixed opinions about the Akito 2, also there should always be room for upgrades(Ekos 2).

The plan is to make the best possible MM LP12, which includes a Slipsik.

Radikal is brand new.

I think it will be great fun upgrading an LP12 step by step, but can't help planning it.

Hope Mr. Lejonklou will have his new pre ready in the near future. It would be nice with an alternative to KK.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

More wants more wrote:Yes, have heard mixed opinions about the Akito 2, also there should always be room for upgrades(Ekos 2).
Not heard anything bad about the Akito 2 myself. It's just not as good as the Ekos 2.
More wants more

LP 12 upgrades

System update 16/11/2012:
Kikkin
Slipsik
LP12/Cirkus/Radikal/D/Akito/Adikt/Silver cable
ATC SCM50ASL(Silver speaker cables made by ThomasOK)

Just sold the Renew DS and got a new Radikal/D. What a great upgrade on the TT-

A new Ekos SE will be the next step.

What is peoples opinion about "old Silver" T cable or the new Mogami?
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

So you're also analogue only into Kikkin :O) Great value.

Keel would be bigger improvement than Ekos SE, but I guess you're very keen to lose the Akito. What about Rubikon?
More wants more

LP12

Yes, really like the Kikkin but hopefully Fredrik will soon make a new super pre.

I will think about the Keel before Ekos SE, but else the upgtade will come later on.

No Rubikon, only Linn components in the LP12;-)
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

This is your best upgrade option! :-)
http://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtopi ... 4349#14349
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: LP 12 upgrades

Post by lejonklou »

More wants more wrote:What is peoples opinion about "old Silver" T cable or the new Mogami?
I have previously written about the Mogami cable after having carefully evaluated it. With careful I mean that I have both AB-demmed it on the same LP12, and listened over longer periods. I have also made many interconnects with this cable. Nothing new to add except that I've heard it several times more when setting up other LP12's, and my impressions remain the same.

The only problem with the old Silver T kable is that the thin middle ground lead can with time develop a discontinuity. Seems to come after repeated stretching and/or bending, so one needs to check for that.

Also worth noting is that the very oldest Silver T kables, with the old RCA connectors, are the best sounding. This has been my experience so far, even though some claim that the latest DIN plug performs a bit better than older versions.
More wants more

Thanks

So, anyone got a good condition Silver T for sale?

I will buy a new Ekos SE with the Mogami T cable, but would like to have a Silver to do the a and b comparison.

Cheers
Christian
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

You could email around the dealerships. I presume anyone upgrading to Urika doesn't need one any longer, so there should be a few out there. Unfortunately, that doesn't include myself at the moment. What do you think one is worth?
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I agree that the older Silver T-Kable is more musical than the Mogami one. I expect there should be some used ones around (I should check my own stash). You should also be able to buy a new one as it comes with the Akito II, I believe it sells for about $400US. This has the new DIN connector but also the newer Silver RCAs which I don't feel are as good as the older slot-less ones.

I agree that the Keel is a more musically important upgrade than the Ekos SE, however, you can't use the Akito with the Keel unless you are willing to give up the cueing device. The Keel doesn't have the cutout to allow the cueing pod to remain in place. So it might make sense, especially if you are planning on doing both long term anyway, to do the Ekos SE first.
More wants more

Thank you for the comment.

Actually i talked to my local Linn dealer yesterday. He called Linn and they don't sell Silver T as a stand alone item anymore.

So I'm in the market for a good condition Silver-T.
Last edited by More wants more on 2012-12-08 18:07, edited 1 time in total.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

More wants more wrote:Thank you for the comment.

Actually i talked to my local Linn dealer yesterday. He called Linn and they don't sell Silver T as a stand alone item anymore.

So i'm the market for a good condition Silver-T.
Tell him to ask Linn what part number CONN 1360/3 is. On the parts list it is listed simply as "Akito Output Cable" and has a US retail just under $400US. Since the Akito IIB now comes with the same cable that was the old T.Kable but with the new DIN connector (and the newer slotted RCAs) I would expect that is what you would get if you ordered this cable. Interesting now that it has been demoted from the name of T.Kable to just the Akito Output Cable the price has gone down $100.00!

Still, I'll check my stash.
More wants more

Silver T cable

My Linn dealer is on the case and i will properly know what's possible tomorrow;-)

Will the Silver T fit my old Akito arm?
rootola

Post by rootola »

I have a silver T cable with my Scottish Akito 2. No problem.
KDSM Organik Slim - Solo - Ninka
More wants more

Linn T cable

Hi Rootola.
Do you like the change into a silver T cable?

After a bit of confusion with Linn sales I will hopefully have the information next week:-)
rootola

Post by rootola »

It was on my turntable when I bought it, but it was highlighted by the previous owner as being a significant improvement.

Sorry not to be able be more specific.

The turntable was bought from Pete Callaghan who is a member on the Linn forum. I'm sure he would help with better info.

cheers, pete
KDSM Organik Slim - Solo - Ninka
More wants more

The LP12 has been upgraded with a very nice Ittok LVII and a new Linn Silver T cable(Akito 3).

It sounds very pleasant and definitely a nice upgrade. It´s like another layer has been revealed on many of the albums.

Looking very much forward to a new Lejonklou super pre. I have tried my friend's KK and it was a very big upgrade compared to my Kikkin.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Agree KK is much better. So it should be at that price.

Are you not contemplating a Keel before pre-amp upgrade?
More wants more

I think the pre will come first... the thought of drilling a Keel for the armrest support doesn't make any sense to me.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Ah, of course. I would feel the same way.