Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hermanns System

Post by lejonklou »

I prefer 1 on all tracks.
Whatsmynaim

Post by Whatsmynaim »

I prefer 1 as well. Is this the Akubarik?
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Well that's weird: when Erik said 1, I relistened via headphones on the desktop, and still felt 2 was more together; easier to enjoy... After Fredrik (& Whatsmynaim) agreed with Erik, I listened yet again but, this time, on my mobile phone (no headphones)

1 still sounds quieter, less (a)live in the case of Take Five, as it did on the desktop - the sense of 1 seemed to resonate with Hermann's criticism - but the timing of 1 seemed disjointed through the desktop; strongly favouring 2... On the mobile, the timing has changed, particularly the percussion, which changes the sense of musicality. 2 sounds more exciting, but now sounds awkward musically... and I can see why three prefer 1.

Has anyone tried the clips via different devices? If so, did you get consistent results? Or is it just me suffering from (more than) a suggestion of inconsistency? :/
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

1 for me too. 2 sounds quite disjointed to me.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thank you very much for your opinions.

I understand very well why some chose 1, the Akubarik and some 2, the briks. As described, 1 has the edge here and there musically. Nevertheless, it simply can not reproduce further important things. When musical impressions only play between the speakers, I find it unnatural. They lack almost the entire depth of the (imaginary) space of the music. The Isobarik has a clear advantage here. Instruments are easier to locate and track because there is enough "air" between them. And thats what the Akubarik lacks. The Isobarik gives instruments the right size and that is very important for me. Even if musicality itself is in the foreground, I don't want to miss these advantages.

On the other hand, I was impressed by how an almost 40-year-old speaker (my pair) can keep up with current developments. The Akubarik showed certain instruments a bit more rhythmically, sometimes a bit more clearly, where the briks showed more connections between notes. Perhaps the reason is the Akubarik's tightly and flatly reproduced image, I don't know.

Since the Isobarik is not on Mana currently, the setup is not optimal. As soon as it is done, the comparison will become more interesting.

By the way source was Källa and Spotify.
Trust your ears
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

My akubariks sounded like this, they greatly improved when 1.9m apart,centre to centre, they were 63cm from rear wall to front baffle, and definitely improved with toein. Straight never worked for me only exakt reduced toe in.
The best torques
Array 0.85
Mid 1.1
Bass accessible by removing stand 1.8
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Thank you Hermann for some lovely musical clips. I downloaded your clips onto my Ipad and compared them.
Doing this makes it easy to shift quickly between them. None of them sounds disjointed when doing so and in the end I prefer your Isobarik clips.

Your description of the differences are heard through the clips.
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Hermann wrote: 2023-02-02 07:07 On the other hand, I was impressed by how an almost 40-year-old speaker (my pair) can keep up with current developments. The Akubarik showed certain instruments a bit more rhythmically, sometimes a bit more clearly, where the briks showed more connections between notes.
Yours certainly sound very good and presumably without a crossover service.

When I swapped the Briks for Keilidhs, I was struck by how much more integrated the sound became with the smaller speaker but I don't really notice that when listening to your clips. Perhaps that's tied up with the rhythmic strengths of the Akubarik though. Obviously, the Briks did many things better than Keilidhs, although I haven't missed them yet. As people often say, speakers are very personal and none of them anywhere near perfect. I would defo try out Anthony's advise though.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Hermann wrote: 2023-02-02 07:07 By the way source was Källa and Spotify.
Hermann,
if you find some time please try Qobuz as well.
I am very curious about your impressions with your set-up.
TIA :-)
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

anthony wrote: 2023-02-02 08:01 My akubariks sounded like this, they greatly improved when 1.9m apart,centre to centre, they were 63cm from rear wall to front baffle, and definitely improved with toein. Straight never worked for me only exakt reduced toe in.
The best torques
Array 0.85
Mid 1.1
Bass accessible by removing stand 1.8
This sounds more or less like how mine are positioned, except for the toe-in. I got a major improvement in tune, when I positioned them absolutely straight, instead of with 1,5 mm toe-in.
I can certainly say, that I don't have the problems with the bass, that Hermann has experienced, nor that the sound sticks only between the speakers. If it's there on the recording, the sound stage is a lot wider (but I don't care much about that). Hermann, I think you need to work a bit more on the position of the Akubariks.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Coming late to the party so definitely not blind. I also prefer 1 on all three tracks. While I could still get into the music on the 2 clips, the 1 clips sounded more in tune and moved better.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thanks again for your opinions and comments.

@matthias, the tip about Pire is great, it's in my playlist now. Yes, Qobuz, I'll see what I can do.

The second attempt did not lead to the goal either. My impression of a "compressed" image has not changed.

More than 40cm distance from the wall is not practical and after some positioning, the previously found one gives the best compromise. Toe-in has no effect on a listening distance of about 6m and no improvement is noticeable.

In my opinion, the influence of the room plays the decisive role or I have become "system blind" through the briks, because so far I haven't found any speakers that show their advantages.

As mentioned before, the acoustics are probably the critical point to invest in.
Trust your ears
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

Hermann wrote: 2023-02-09 09:19 Thanks again for your opinions and comments.

@matthias, the tip about Pire is great, it's in my playlist now. Yes, Qobuz, I'll see what I can do.

The second attempt did not lead to the goal either. My impression of a "compressed" image has not changed.

More than 40cm distance from the wall is not practical and after some positioning, the previously found one gives the best compromise. Toe-in has no effect on a listening distance of about 6m and no improvement is noticeable.

In my opinion, the influence of the room plays the decisive role or I have become "system blind" through the briks, because so far I haven't found any speakers that show their advantages.

As mentioned before, the acoustics are probably the critical point to invest in.
As I previously mentioned mine are 63cm from rear wall to front of spk, this equates to considerably less than 40cm that you elude to, which I assume is to the rear of your speaker.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Correct, measured from the back to the wall. Thus, the speakers are slightly further from the wall when measured from the front. Closer than 0.33m (from the back wall), the bass becomes more indistinct and it seems flatter. At the distance I heard a bit more depth, instruments separated better, it was tidier.

I had pushed it on towels without spikes to the first acceptable position. With spikes, it's not necessarily advisable to push much even on stone floors. Therefore the points of the spikes marked and piece by piece the Akubarik towards the wall heaved and to the center. It quickly became clear after six actions that it was not getting any better. Minimal shifting from the actual position was then fine tuning.
Trust your ears
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

May I ask, if you have tuned the distance to the rear wall down to 1 mm? Not using Skeets?
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

The stone floor is hard enough to make small changes in position. Slightly unloading was sometimes helpful. The last millimeters could be shifted with spikes until it fit. I should rather have written that after "some" actions the result was clear.

Skeets were not included.
Trust your ears
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

The Akubarik are back to the dealer, who fully understood that it can not replace the Isobarik.

Just a little one by the way. The new Källa will deliver tomorrow with Linn Silver. Marco from Hexagon Audio offers an incredibly customer-friendly service! Thanks to that.

I wrote him already that the time with Källa has increased enormously since proper installation and not only with background music, but as a pure source primarily to explore new music in Spotify. What an opportunity...
Trust your ears
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Contrary to expectations, the integration of the new Källa into the network was completed within a few minutes. My AVM workaround works. The Källa must first be connected directly to the repeater and configured regarding IP4 address. After that, the router recognizes it without any problems behind the Netgear GS308T. The other way around does not work.

Amazing how good the Källa sounds out of the box. Possibly it is also due to the Linn Silver, although they are also new...
Trust your ears
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Last edited by Hermann on 2023-02-15 13:37, edited 1 time in total.
Trust your ears
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I'm constantly getting a 'Website with harmful software' warning and can't play them

Have you tried dropbox? 90% of members use it here and I've never had a problem with it.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I can play them without any problems.
Playing cd’s…………
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Mhh... actually I got this message now also once and five times not. Seems to come with the new version of Firefox. Dropbox currently does not want my login via Google. No idea for what reason.

The access should work now, I moved to Google Drive.
Trust your ears
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I was using Safari on a Macbook

I'll try again later when I'm back on that machine with headphones
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

For now I prefer your “old” setup (A2, B2 and C2). The new setup makes me listen more for sound than music.
Playing cd’s…………
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Did listen to Mesta only and prefer B2
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677