PetterS system

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

PetterS

PetterS system

Post by PetterS »

I thought it was time to finally introduce myself after lurking around for almost 4 years in this excellent forum gaining knowledge about “HIFI” and being inspired by the sheer love of music. I’m based in north Sweden. I bought a mid-range LINN system in the early 90s and the only upgrade since was switching from Keilidhs to Ninkas in early 2000. The first years I also had my 80s Thorens turntable hooked up to the Wakonda. In fact, I kind of lost interest in listening to music after streaming took over in the 2nd half of 00. At times I have visited LINN dealers with the intention to invest in a LINN digital streaming setup. Firstly, I did find the price tag intimidating and hard to defend, but secondly and foremost, I wasn’t hooked on the listening experience which I did find somewhat clinical and square. Of course, the vivid rhythm handling and articulation that I did find so attractive when I bought my LINN system was still there, but something was pushing me away.

Being in the classical music arena, both as a performer and a teacher, music listening has more and more become work related. In 2016 I bought a cellular with an inbuilt DAC, the LG6. That was a true revelation. I started to listen to music again just for fun with Spotify and my old Sennheiser HD25. Some 20 years earlier, doing a comparison, it was obvious that my STAX Lambda Signature with the SRM-X amp was head and shoulders above the Sennheisers when connected to the Genki. But now, especially on work travels, I could really enjoy listening to music again with Spotify-LG6-Sennheiser HD25. So, I started googling around and decided to buy an Audioquest Red Dragonfly DAC to my computer setup and I also bought two small Genelec. This made music listening ok in my working space. But, the streaming experience on my main system was still week, using Spotify through a Gramofon connected to my Linn System.

I then bought some Chromecasts and connected them throughout my home. That made music listening easy for the whole family. I still though wasn’t hooked on the sound quality on my main system and once again went to dealer. I was told Spotify was pure garbage and that I desperately needed a Linn Streamer. What stopped me was when I understood that Spotify for the rest of the family wouldn’t be possible on the Linn, since Linn don’t bother with low quality streaming services. I instead bought a Primare NP30 DAC and hooked it up with my old Linn system. It was a clear revival for the streaming and, even the Genki gained. But when I compared at home, I honestly did find Spotify better sounding than lossless Tidal. It even compared well with the Genki which was kind of strange. Tidal felt somewhat sterile and joyless.

The last weeks I made some improvements step by step:

First, I upgraded the network with inspiration from threads in this forum. Forum-recommended switch and cables.
- Clear improvement
Then I bought a Primare NP5. The NP5 I connected to LAN and by LINN digital 75 ohm cable to the NP30 DAC. Streaming with Spotify connect or Chromecast are both available through the NP5. Connect is better.
- Big improvement
Then out with the Wakonda and LK100 switching to a Lejonklou Boazu.
- Almost unbelievable difference to the better, all parameters.
Then switching the Ninka stands to polymer stands.
- Clear improvement
Then switching to LINN silvers instead of black between the NP30 and the Boazu.
- Big improvement
Now awaiting two Lejonklou soldered K400.

My STAX is connected again to the NP5 through a Topping E30 DAC and my old SRM-X. Sounds ok.

Now I’m working on kicking new life in my old Thorens TT who have been silent for 20 years...
Primare Np5 & NP30, Genki, Boazu, Ninka w. Poly. st., ICs: Linn Si & bl incl. dig, tt TD46,
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Re: PetterS system

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanjs for sharing your story PetterS.

Glad you're fully enjoying your music at home once again.

Any thoughts on a phono stage for the Thorens?
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Hi PetterS,
Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your system and story.
Music First ...
Vlado
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Hi PetterS! Welcome and glad you finally decided to become visible. Good story and happy to hear that you have been able to make use of the information up here, and one of Fredrik's wonderful Boazu integrated amps, to make your system more enjoyable. I'll be interested to see how things progress with the Thorens back up and running.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Good afternoon PeterS,

Welcome to the forum! By the way, what type of new life are you kicking into your old Thorens turntable? And which Thorens do you have?

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
PetterS

Post by PetterS »

The tt is a Thorens TD 146 which I bought as a student. I've cleaned everything up and polished the bearing and oiled it up. I've ordered a 2nd hand inner platter on Ebay since mine probably have a slight bend due to reckless storage. I also have a new replacement belt and a new OM 20 stylus. Curious to see if it works. Otherwise I have a friend who wants to get rid of his LP12, but it seems that going down that road would be the start of an endless journey of upgrades...

Actually two productions I've participated in the last year have been released on vinyl. That's partly why I would like to give it a try.

Btw, thanks for a warm welcoming to the forum!
Primare Np5 & NP30, Genki, Boazu, Ninka w. Poly. st., ICs: Linn Si & bl incl. dig, tt TD46,
PetterS

Post by PetterS »

One more thing since it was asked, I will use my Wakonda to test the tt. It has a mm phono stage. Maybe a stupid question, would it be possible to connect the Wakonda to the Boazu (pre amp to an integrated amp) or do I have to try the tt through Wakonda and LK100?

If hooked on vinyl, I don't think I can stay away from ordering a Slipsik. I think MM would do it for me. MC seems to sensitive and complicated.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Yes, you can use the Wakonda as an MM phono stage to test out the turntable. Just connect one of the Tape Outputs to an input on the Boazu. You may have to select the MM Phono Input as a record choice on the Wakonda to send it to the Tape outputs. It has been a while since I played with one but many Linn preamps had the ability to choose Listen and Record separately.

"Otherwise I have a friend who wants to get rid of his LP12, but it seems that going down that road would be the start of an endless journey of upgrades..." Gee, what makes you think that? ;-) ;-) Still it is definitely worth doing.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

PetterS wrote: 2021-04-13 21:27 The tt is a Thorens TD 146 which I bought as a student. I've cleaned everything up and polished the bearing and oiled it up. I've ordered a 2nd hand inner platter on Ebay since mine probably have a slight bend due to reckless storage. I also have a new replacement belt and a new OM 20 stylus. Curious to see if it works. Otherwise I have a friend who wants to get rid of his LP12, but it seems that going down that road would be the start of an endless journey of upgrades...

Actually two productions I've participated in the last year have been released on vinyl. That's partly why I would like to give it a try.
Good afternoon PeterS,

You're certainly doing a thorough maintenance job with the Thorens deck, and hopefully it'll operate just fine! However, if you do get an LP12, you don't necessarily have to max-it-out immediately, unless you want too!

By the way, what productions did you participate in recently (if you're allowed to say)?

Cheers!
Tony Tune-age
PetterS

Post by PetterS »

Thanks Tony! The Thorens is now up and running. Works like a charm. I did put some isolation material inside under the top and made a new much thicker base board. Listening to some old jazz records. It actually holds up scaringly well in comparison with streaming. I can only imagine how fantastic the music sounds on all the fine-tuned LP12 and set-ups described in this forum, considering what I got out today from my old Swiss machine.

Tony, the vinyl box is contemporary art music. The other vinyl is with one of the "progg" heroes from the seventies, Björn Siöö.
Here a picture with the box. Image
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Good evening PetterS,

I see the title "Trafficking" by Peter Sundkvist, which I'm guessing is you! Very nice indeed, I'll give it a listen! By the way, good job with your Thorens turntable too! Even modest turntables are capable of sounding almost as good, as good, or better than many expensive streaming devices...enjoy!

Cheers!
Tony Tune-age
PetterS

Post by PetterS »

So today i looked through the network. It turned out that all the cables were going in the direction against the text. I changed the cable from media converter to router, and put in direction with the text. From the router to streamer I did the same. I'm now using DesignaCables Premium Belden 1303E CATSNAKE Cat6a in the whole setup. It was a very clear improvement on the streaming experience.

I've also tried out going with the long cable (6m) to the Netgear switch and then with a 2.5 m cable to the streamer vs the long cable directly from router to the streamer. I did prefer the later. A slight improvement.