DS firmware - what is the lastest on the most musical one?

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

Nicolav

Post by Nicolav »

Rufus McDufus wrote:Anyone tried Davaar 9 yet? I'm sceptical about differences in firmware versions, but I'm interested to hear other opinions as I think I can detect a difference between this and 7 on my KDS/1.
Tried davaar 9.1 beta yesterday. To my ears seem the most musical Davaar ever on KDS/1. Much better instrument separation and much effortless and clearer melody pattern. Overall more communicative than 4.3.3. Even the sound is nicer, more of sweetness and analogue feel.
LP12/RadikalM/Keel/Ekos SE1/Ekstatik/Urika II/Klimax System Hub/Klimax Exaktbox's/10 Solos/A242
Nicolav

Post by Nicolav »

Davaar 9.2 is out. Need to test if is better or worse than 9.1. ;)

PS ALL my test of various davaar release are made with songcast and internal volume DISABLED. Then, switching power off and on after every upgrade.
Last edited by Nicolav on 2012-08-24 12:14, edited 1 time in total.
LP12/RadikalM/Keel/Ekos SE1/Ekstatik/Urika II/Klimax System Hub/Klimax Exaktbox's/10 Solos/A242
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thanks for keeping us updated, Nicolav!
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Davaar 9 beta

Post by David Neel »

I've only recently bought an ADS/1 (secondhand). I installed Davaar 7.5 as the then current version, before installing 8. My initial impression was that 8 was an improvement, but I quickly realised it was more fatiguing to listen to than 7.5. With both of them I found I was reverting to LP12 quite quickly.

Because I couldn't work out how to revert to 7.5, I installed the 9.2 beta instead. Suddenly, the "shouty" aspects of the sound had gone, and it was much leaner - but also more musical, and I have hardly listened to vinyl since.

A possible complication is that my ADS/1 may still be improving due to burn-in, as it had been unused for a year before I bought it.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Music Lover wrote:Did a short test yesterday.
Recap, my DS had Davaar 4.2.1 after the mkII upgrade last year.
(songcast disabled as that is most musical)
Davaar 4.5.1 - more musical
Davaar 4.5.3 - worse
Davaar 4.7.5 - better
Going to compare 4.5.1 vs 4.7.5 later on this week.

4.7.5 has a clear, sharp and impressive sound, not sure I like that as it is slightly towards sounding digital.
All firmwares have slightly different sound characteristics.
Update
Did a test this morning and 4.9.1 is more musical than 4.7.5.
Soundwise 4.9.1 isn't as good as I want. 4.7.5 was too sharp but 4.9.1 is a tad undefined. Specially the bass is woolly and overall some instruments are missing which previously were heard in the mix.

Nicolav, no I haven't tried 4.3.3.
As my time is limited and I trust you, I prefer testing 4.9.2 instead If I have time next week.
ok?

David, it's interesting that your findings on 4.7.5 are similar.
Anyone else that tested 4.9.2?
Or even better, compared it with 4.9.1?
It's all about musical understanding!
monkeydevil

Post by monkeydevil »

On the Linn oss site
http://oss.linn.co.uk/trac/wiki/DownloadKonfig
They have posted Konfig in beta, 4.10.3
This has new looks similar to songbox.

I can't find anywhere in this version of konfig where to update to old betas (locally stored). It only seems possible to update over the internet to the latest beta.

Hopefully this will be fixed in later beta versions, otherwise I fear that maybe it won't be possible to install the coming DS firmware betas when they have been succeeded by a newer version.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

So if I'm using Konfig 4.9.2, I can't rollback to earlier versions?

The files are available - http://products.linn.co.uk/VersionInfo/ ... /Releases/ - but I can't work out how to load them.

As I like 9.2 so much, makes me hesitant to try anything newer.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

David Neel wrote:So if I'm using Konfig 4.9.2, I can't rollback to earlier versions?
Yes you can.
1. download the zipped SW to your PC
2. open Konfig on the PC and right-click on the DS and select "reflash"
3. select the downloaded SW
Same procedure as on previous Konfig versions.

I download all versions to be able to use whatever I consider most musical.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Thanks, ML. The DS is a steep learning curve after the simplicity of an Ikemi!
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

monkeydevil wrote:On the Linn oss site

I can't find anywhere in this version of konfig where to update to old betas (locally stored). It only seems possible to update over the internet to the latest beta.

Hopefully this will be fixed in later beta versions, otherwise I fear that maybe it won't be possible to install the coming DS firmware betas when they have been succeeded by a newer version.
You seems correct, just posted this
http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=18314
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

David Neel wrote: As I like 9.2 so much, makes me hesitant to try anything newer.
Agree, uploaded 4.9.2 to my DS and it's quite good!
More musical than 4.9.1. And better sounding as well.
Nicolav

Post by Nicolav »

Music Lover wrote:
David Neel wrote: As I like 9.2 so much, makes me hesitant to try anything newer.
Agree, uploaded 4.9.2 to my DS and it's quite good!
More musical than 4.9.1. And better sounding as well.
Quick test of 4.9.2: agree with ML, musically seems even more engaging than 4.9.1! Also more refined and precise sound wise, but overall sweet. :)
Need some more test about musicality, but as first impression one of the best sw ever made for KDS!
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

ds

Post by anthony »

Just gone from 4.5.3 to 4.9.2 very good, involving and musical
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

monkeydevil wrote:On the Linn oss site

Feedback from Linn R/D, yes they going to make this possible in future versions.
SaltyDog
Very active member
Very active member

Post by SaltyDog »

4.9.2 is very good. It is better with jRiver.
monkeydevil

Post by monkeydevil »

Music Lover wrote:
Feedback from Linn R/D, yes they going to make this possible in future versions.
Thanks for passing this info on!
(A bit strange that Linn didn't respond to your question over at their forum, but great that you got a response anyway)
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

monkeydevil wrote: (A bit strange that Linn didn't respond to your question over at their forum, but great that you got a response anyway)
I think I know why (based on other information I also got) but prefer to only post confirmed information.
jiddu_k

Post by jiddu_k »

Hi all,

following this thread I recently compared Davaar 4.5.3 to 4.7.5 on my KDS and found the latter to be much more musical.
Not having compared firmwares in quite a while (basically since the KDS Mk2 upgrade - have preferred Cara 3.6.7 before) I was once again astonished how much difference there is between firmware versions that are supposed to sound identical.
Today I took some more time to compare all the firmware versions I have and like to share my results:
To my ears Davaar 4.7.5 is slightly better than the new 4.9.2beta and it is clearly better than 4.3.3 and 4.1.10. Former alpha release 4.5.3 is definitely the worst firmware I´ve tested. To my surprise the oldest firmware I have (4.1.7beta) is even better than 4.7.5 (slightly) and will stay as reference.
hcl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by hcl »

I have been sitting with 4.1.10 since it got back from upgrading and I have been satisfied with that. Inspired of the positive feedback for 4.9.2 I tried it for the last 24 hours, but allthough I find it to be very much more impressive sounding, more live like sound, more detail. I found it to be less musical than 4.1.10 which is somewhat careful in comparison, but also letting me in on the music in an involving manner. It is difficult because I find 4.9.2 to be so impressive in many ways, but I found myself lacking something anyway.

Have anyone compared the later versiond with 4.1.10?
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

ok so the 4.1.7 and 10 are good?
As my KDS arrived with 4.2.1, never tried these (earlier) Davaar versions.
Music Lover wrote:Hi again!
Got my KDS back a year ago after the mkII upgrade and it had Davaar 4.2.1 installed. Still has due to lack of time comparing the following firmwares, anyone that had?

I have the following SW downloaded:
4.3.1, 4.3.2, 4.3.3, 4.4.2, 4.5.1, 4.5.3 and 4.7.5 (=Davaar 7)

So, what Davaar version is most musical?
SaltyDog
Very active member
Very active member

Post by SaltyDog »

I've gone back to 4.7.2 after getting a copy from Axel.

Turns out this is what was on my KDS prior to moving to 4.9.2.

I inadvertently posted I was happiest with 4.7.5 and jRiver. It was 4.7.2 that is so good. Sorry if I misled anyone.

ML you should give this a try. It is for me much more satisfying than 4.9.2 too.
Nicolav

Post by Nicolav »

hcl wrote:I have been sitting with 4.1.10 since it got back from upgrading and I have been satisfied with that. Inspired of the positive feedback for 4.9.2 I tried it for the last 24 hours, but allthough I find it to be very much more impressive sounding, more live like sound, more detail. I found it to be less musical than 4.1.10 which is somewhat careful in comparison, but also letting me in on the music in an involving manner. It is difficult because I find 4.9.2 to be so impressive in many ways, but I found myself lacking something anyway.

Have anyone compared the later versiond with 4.1.10?
After few days with 4.9.2 I'm puzzled about it.
After the first positive impression, very tight, precise and detailed sound, I felt that something was missing.
After reading your post and having had your same impressions, I tried 4.1.10 on my DS. And hell, why I have not tried this before? :) Great feeling, for now... :)
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

When you roll-back the DS firmware to an earlier version of Davaar, do you also roll-back Konfig, or do you keep the latest Konfig & just revert Davaar?

I'm on 4.9.2, but have downloaded 4.1.10, and don't know if I can just go back to Davaar 4.1.10, or do I start with Konfig?
SaltyDog
Very active member
Very active member

Post by SaltyDog »

I have always used konfig as is. That is I have updated regularly and have never reverted to an older konfig.

I will say again that the 4.7.2 beta for KDS with jRiver is by far the most musical my system has ever sounded.
SaltyDog
Very active member
Very active member

Post by SaltyDog »

Looking though this post I don't see any comments regarding 4.7.2 for KDS.

Has anyone else tried this?