DS firmware - what is the lastest on the most musical one?

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Re: DS firmware - what is the lastest on the most musical one?

Post by Music Lover »

Finally, took time to compare all 11 firmwares between 4.25 (factory installed with my upgraded KDS/2 April 2015) and the latest 4.37.
fyi: running it analogue to my preamp.

Issues:
- 4.30 and 4.36 wouldn't load despite trying many times.
- on most versions, the KDS display reported 4.37 (= wrong firmware)
- on some versions, the KDS display correct firmware the FIRST reboot, then reported 4.37 (= wrong firmware)
- on most versions, the Konfig reported installation failure despite the KDS booting perfectly

First off: 4.25 has nice musical flow, really nice sound and great micro details creating a very "live" feeling on live recordings. Not a coincidence I didn't try any new firmwares during a year! This is a good version.

Working myself up in the list...4.29 (worse), 30 (failed loading), 31 (ok but no WOW), 2*versions of 32 (.1277 worse, .1283 ok, close to 31), and finally 33 - this is nice again!
Next day 4.34 and later versions... 4.34 (also good), 35 (worse), 36 (failed loading), 37 (around 35 I think)

Ok then, comparing the "good ones". 4.33 (yeah this is good), 34 (worse but close), 25 worse but NICE sounding. And as a reference installed 37 (worse)

So it's 4.33.1430!! with 34/25 as runner up's.

4.33 has less bass, less details and as a consequence makes live recordings sounding less "live". But it flows! Musicality wins hands down.

But now, I miss a sub more than ever !!

To all KDS/2 owners, please test 4.33, 34 and 25 and report back.
It may apply to other /2 owners as well. But not so convinced these firmwares suit /0 and /1 equipment due to the (likely) rather different "non Exakt" softwares.
It's all about musical understanding!
Nature

Post by Nature »

Music Lover wrote:To all KDS/2 owners, please test 4.33, 34 and 25 and report back.
Don't install Davaar 34 Build 1484!

Certain DS devices with Exakt outputs with Davaar 34 will not boot! Linn has removed this firmware version.

Souce: http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/ReleaseNotes
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

As I wrote, that happened on many firmwares.
But fallback works on 34 right? It did for me.

Or did you heard about a unit that went back to Linn?
(I'm not often on Linn forum...)
JSL

Post by JSL »

I have turned off the streaming options and songcast, and that seems to affect the musical flow.
Does anyone have more experience of that?
Nature

Post by Nature »

JSL wrote:the streaming options
Are you refering to "Streaming Services" such as Qobuz, Tidal and TuneIn?
JSL wrote:I have turned off the streaming options and songcast
Good.
JSL wrote:Does anyone have more experience of that?
Yes. Songcast on/off affect the performance of you DS/DSM.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Anyone tried the "post 4.37" firmwares?
erho

Post by erho »

Hello, what is the best firmware for the latest Majik DSM? How can I turn Songcast off?
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

Hi
I did get tempted during the week to try one of the Davaar 50s.
Very superficially I could not notice an immediate difference in sound, but I was more preoccupied by the fact that the volume adjustment on Lumin (my favourite control software) does not work. Linn immediately responded that it was Lumin who has got it wrong! So I promptly changed back and have been watching the torrent of Betas emerging and the numerous bugs flying out of it.
Loyal Linnies have been very patient - some having difficulty in getting back to older firmwares.

For what it's worth, my advice is to stay clear of this beta until Linn have produced something more reliable.
I am amazed that a product with so many faults was not better evaluated in-house before letting it go in the wild, even with the usual Beta caveats. A habit they have perhaps caught from Microsoft - getting customers to identify the pitfalls.

I would put it back in its cage immediately pending further domestication were I Linn.

Whether it will improve the sound when all the dust settles must be anybody's guess at the moment. One thing is certain - it is not in its final form yet.

Don sunny downtown York
PS - totally irrelevant - there is likely to be in informal meeting of part of the Freddy Fan Club in York this week. Ozzie, Chris (Hidden) and Donuk.
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

To put things simply. I HAD A BLAST!!!
Some things are truly special. Our evening was just one of those wow moments. I expect don to enthuse in more detail at a later date.
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
erho

Post by erho »

erho wrote:Hello, what is the best firmware for the latest Majik DSM?
BUMP
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

Everyone seems to have a favourite.
Among the modern ones, I know that Briain likes 32 - and I can see why.
I found that 37 is not bad.
But,
I hate to say this, but the latest Beta, 50.xx sounds very natural.
I have suggested elsewhere that unless folk feel like taking a chance, the 50 seems to be totally rebuilt firmware with lots of bugs.
Above comments apply to ADS/2, KDSM/1
I have not had anything catastrophic happen, but it is up to you.
A couple of us think it sounds good. Certainly different. Let your own ears decide.
You may want to wait a bit though.....

Donuk sunny downtown York.
erho

Post by erho »

Oki, thank you donuk, will try the new 50 beta perhaps....
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

As usual, it is unclear if 50 actually has any intended SQ changes. They're focussing on functional changes ready for some "big release" of new functionality in the near to mid-term.
What continues to surprise me is that releases such as 50 prove how changing software can unintentionally change functionality the developers didn't release they had affected, yet Linn continually assert that they can often make changes to the code without impacting SQ. How can they be so confident that they are not unintentionally impacting SQ when their functional code releases often make unintentional functional changes? I think they (and other software developers of course!) should refer to "no intentional or planned changes" rather than "no changes" - its more realistic that way.

For Exakt users, Davaar 50 also releases access to Exakt Complier v18 (v16 is the current production release) and this brings a good step forward in the flow of the music.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

So Davaar 50 is no longer in beta. The last beta 50.100 has overnight become the latest official upgrade.
As I have said on the Linn forum I regret that the volume controls on Lumin and Audionet no longer work.

Obviously this is all part of a larger master plan by Linn as they seem to want to radically change the structure of their firmwares.

For me - the question is - what do you guys think of the sound of Davaar 50?
I, and some others, find it has a different presentation, which is at first listening is not perhaps what you would expect.

For me, in my system, it is better.

I don't want to get into the details of how we might listen to our hifi and substantiate what we are hearing (that is being done on another current interesting thread).

But I would really value some golden-eared observations (if indeed ears can observe).

Davaar 50 should now just download as a standard update for our streamers.

Please give it a go, a tell me what you think. My own feeling is that in spite of the cumbersome way the beta has evolved before us, it could be a useful sound upgrade.

Cheers from damp downtown York
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

donuk wrote: For me - the question is - what do you guys think of the sound of Davaar 50?
I, and some others, find it has a different presentation, which is at first listening is not perhaps what you would expect.
Interesting, care to elaborate? Is it in the sound, dynamics or what...
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

Hi music lover
Well you will know from other threads that I tread with caution in Freddie-Land because I am not fully versed in the black art of Tunedem, and I know it is a requirement to use this as a reference point when talking about the quality of sound here.
Having said that I think I find 50 more open and more revealing of detail. When this normally happens to hifi improvements, more detail normally means more glare and less musicality. But not with 50.
Put it this way, I moved from ADS/1 to ADS/2 a few months and enjoyed the more relaxed, yet open presentation - a bit vinyl, dare I say.
The 50 seems to take this a bit further, almost as if my ADS/2 now has the correct firmware.
A nice combination of being analytical yet tuneful. You still tap your feet but are perhaps better informed. Make of that what you will!

I appreciate that this may be system dependent - I use a Melco N1A, with Minimserver transcoding into WAV. I have tried also using Twonky (feeding FLAC): it still sounds good, but I prefer the former.

Which is why I would value the opinion of those on this forum who do not always see the world in the same way as I do, but we seem generally to enjoy the same kit.

Donuk damp downtown York
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Good info, thanks!
What about bass performance? Lower and harder hitting or :) (some Davaar's lack the deepest bass imho)
And what firmware did you use previously?
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Anyone that have compared the 13 different beta and official firmwares in Davaar 4.50 and 4.52?
Nicolav

Post by Nicolav »

Music Lover wrote:Anyone that have compared the 13 different beta and official firmwares in Davaar 4.50 and 4.52?
My personal rating from best to worse (Klimax DS/2)

4.52.119 now release

4.52.117 is very musical and coerent, one of the best fw so far
4.52.119 is also good but slightly lesser

Both 51 and 52 are much better than 4.50.110
LP12/RadikalM/Keel/Ekos SE1/Ekstatik/Urika II/Klimax System Hub/Klimax Exaktbox's/10 Solos/A242
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Nicolav wrote: 4.52.117 is very musical and coerent, one of the best fw so far
Good info!
What version did you use previously?
Do you consider 52.117 the BEST or just one of the best?
And what about the sound character? Detailed and with slam? Miss that in 4.33.1430 currently running on my KDS.

fyi
Also have a KDS/2 (Exakt ready, but using the analogue out) and of all versions up to 4.37 I found 4.33.1430 being the most musical. But with a less good sound.
Nicolav

Post by Nicolav »

Music Lover wrote:
Nicolav wrote: 4.52.117 is very musical and coerent, one of the best fw so far
Good info!
What version did you use previously?
Do you consider 52.117 the BEST or just one of the best?
And what about the sound character? Detailed and with slam? Miss that in 4.33.1430 currently running on my KDS.

fyi
Also have a KDS/2 (Exakt ready, but using the analogue out) and of all versions up to 4.37 I found 4.33.1430 being the most musical. But with a less good sound.
Hi Music Lover,
until now I have used 4.33.1430, wich is the best also for me until I tried 4.52.117!
For me 4.52.117 is the BEST of all at least on KDS/2.
Sound character is more open, detailed and dynamic than 4.33, more airy but with an exceptional coerence on the whole spectrum. Musically is simply a revelation, all musical pattern are distinct and at same time well coordinated but mostly, very easy to follow. Every piece of music is always charged of his emotionality, even with 4.33 this aspect was not so obvious.
So both sound and music are better on 52.117!
LP12/RadikalM/Keel/Ekos SE1/Ekstatik/Urika II/Klimax System Hub/Klimax Exaktbox's/10 Solos/A242
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Tried it and you're correct - THANKS!!!
ChrBea

Post by ChrBea »

Does anyone have KlimaxDsMk2_4.52.117.zip available? Somehow I forgot to save that firmware locally, and it is no longer available on their site.
LP12 Kore-KRad-Majik Tonearm-Slipsik 8 & KDS/3 > Sagatun & Tundra Monos 3 > A242
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I could also use a copy for a KRDS/0. I think they put all the KRenews together but not sure.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
ChrBea

Post by ChrBea »

Since Davaar 50, they split up the firmware for the different versions. Renew DS/0 would need KlimaxDsMk1_4.52.117.zip
LP12 Kore-KRad-Majik Tonearm-Slipsik 8 & KDS/3 > Sagatun & Tundra Monos 3 > A242