Majik w/Dynamik - again

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

Steen

Majik w/Dynamik - again

Post by Steen »

Hi.
My first post in this forum.
I've read through most of the posts regarding the Dynamik PSU, and concluded that it won't work as an uppgrade to either Majik Kontrol or Majik CD. Bummer :cry:
Then I found this add:
http://www.studioav.co.uk/content/view/32/166/
Quote:
Ex-demo Linn Majik Kontrol pre-amplifier in silver. In very good condition with a small mark to the top of rear edge. Comes in original box with main leads and manual. Can be upgraded with Dynamik power supply at extra cost upon request.
Can I uppgrade my Majik products or not??
Steen
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

majik

Post by anthony »

http://www.linn.co.uk/dynamik

No your items cannot be Dynamiked
Steen

Post by Steen »

Okay, I hear what you say.....
emailed the shop, and just recieved the following answer:

Hello Steen Brandbyge
Thank you for your enquiry.

A Majik Kontrol can indeed be upgraded with a Dynamik. The additional cost of this is £460.

Best Regards
Dominic Lye
Sales Consultant
44 High Street
Eton
Berkshire
SL4 6BL
01753 631000
www.studioav.co.uk

Don't you just love it when people disagree :mrgreen:
Steen
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

majik

Post by anthony »

Thats why I posted the Linn link, to confirm my answer.
Oh well dont ask Studio AV advice!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Ask them to order you one and then wait for the return call where they tell you Linn has informed them the Majik Kontrol can't be upgraded with a Dynamik.
Steen

Post by Steen »

In a previous post, Lejonklou hinted at the posibility, that Linn did not want to upgrade the Majik Kontrol, because it might get too close to the Akurate soundwise (at half the price). I know Linn products are not actually DIY-stuff, but has anyone ever tried to fit a Dynamik into a Majik series CD or preamp?
Steen
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hi Steen and welcome here!

I haven't checked the details, but I'm rather convinced the MK can be upgraded with Dynamik. Technically, that is. Officially, it's not.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

lejonklou wrote:I haven't checked the details, but I'm rather convinced the MK can be upgraded with Dynamik. Technically, that is. Officially, it's not.
Considering Linn requires the serial number for the component which will be receiving the Dynamik power supply, how could the Majik preamplifier be upgradded with a Dynamik power supply?
Tony Tune-age
Steen

Post by Steen »

Tony Tune-age wrote: Considering Linn requires the serial number for the component which will be receiving the Dynamik power supply, how could the Majik preamplifier be upgradded with a Dynamik power supply?
Thats exactly where the cat's buried. If every request for an upgrade will have to go through a Linn dealer, they can just say it's not dooable. But having built numerous PSU's for turntables and DAC's,I know the only requirements that is needed is the right voltage, connection, and amps. That makes it quite easy to find out weather it can or cannot be done.
Steen
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Steen wrote:
Tony Tune-age wrote:Considering Linn requires the serial number for the component which will be receiving the Dynamik power supply, how could the Majik preamplifier be upgradded with a Dynamik power supply?
Thats exactly where the cat's buried. If every request for an upgrade will have to go through a Linn dealer, they can just say it's not dooable. But having built numerous PSU's for turntables and DAC's,I know the only requirements that is needed is the right voltage, connection, and amps. That makes it quite easy to find out weather it can or cannot be done.
Steen
Ultimately, a person could live with a Majik preamplifier and Dynamic power supply, until they could afford the Klimax Kontrol. So, how would a person go about having a Dynamic power supply put into a Majik preamplifier since Linn won't allow that upgrade :?:
Tony Tune-age
Steen

Post by Steen »

This is beginning to be quite funny. I emailed the very serviceminded guy from StudioAV, with the following question:

If I opt for the Dynamik’ed Majik Kontrol, how will it affect the guarantee on the product, since Linn do not recognize this as a valid upgrade?
Do you also provide this upgrade to the Majik CD, of which I am a proud owner :D

This is what he answered:
Hi Steen
Fitting of a Dynamik will not affect your guarantee as long as we fit it. In fact under Linn’s current promotion it will add a further 3 year parts only guarantee as well. This also applies to the Majik CD player.
Best regards ...

Personally I still think the Dynamik is way overpriced, but at least now we should maybe stop debating whether or not Majik CD and Majik Kontrol is upgradable with the new PSU.
Could be of great interest to get a comment from Linn on this?
Steen
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Steen wrote:This is beginning to be quite funny. I emailed the very serviceminded guy from StudioAV, with the following question:

If I opt for the Dynamik’ed Majik Kontrol, how will it affect the guarantee on the product, since Linn do not recognize this as a valid upgrade?
Do you also provide this upgrade to the Majik CD, of which I am a proud owner :D

This is what he answered:
Hi Steen
Fitting of a Dynamik will not affect your guarantee as long as we fit it. In fact under Linn’s current promotion it will add a further 3 year parts only guarantee as well. This also applies to the Majik CD player.
Best regards ...

Personally I still think the Dynamik is way overpriced, but at least now we should maybe stop debating whether or not Majik CD and Majik Kontrol is upgradable with the new PSU.
Could be of great interest to get a comment from Linn on this?
Steen
Wow, that is actually very good news indeed - providing Linn agrees :!:
Tony Tune-age
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

dynamik

Post by anthony »

Well you now have a StudioAV guarantee, and as you have been pursuing this, are you going to get one?
Or was it just an exercise in seeing how many votes for YES and NO.
Steen

Re: dynamik

Post by Steen »

anthony wrote:... was it just an exercise in seeing how many votes for YES and NO.
Unlike many, and I shall name no one, I never engage in an argument just for the fun of it. I am in the process of buying a secondhand Majik Kontrol, and wanted to know if it could be upgraded with the much raved Dynamik. Every forum I checked with said this could not be done. this forum also, exept for the skepticism of Lejonklou to this.
In that respect, I am quite satisfied, that in just one days quiery, to have established that this upgrade actually is dooable for both MK and MCD.
If I am willing to pay 460£ for this, is a question that is depending on the sum total for the MK.
Steen
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I will be very interested to hear how this turns out but I remain very skeptical. I agree with Fredrik that it is likely to be possible with enough fiddling but I am pretty sure it is not something you can just plug in and have work. Why my skepticism? Because I tried to temporarily install a Dynamik in a Radikal and it didn't work. The connectors appeared to be the same and the LED on the main board came on but the LP12 motor would not start up. Since the Radikal uses a version of the same mini-line power supply used in the Majik Kontrol and Majik CD it doesn't appear this will just be an easy fit it and it works proposition.

In addition, Linn specifically said in the original Dynamik upgrade materials that the Majik CD and Majik Kontrol were not upgradeable. Since then there has been no communication from them to reverse this and there are no instructions on the dealer website for either model. Since the Dynamik is a larger power supply than the mini-line and since it also attaches differently to the metalwork inside the unit I don't expect fitting one to be a simple swap out as it normally is.

Let us know how this all works out.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

ThomasOK wrote:I will be very interested to hear how this turns out but I remain very skeptical. I agree with Fredrik that it is likely to be possible with enough fiddling but I am pretty sure it is not something you can just plug in and have work. Why my skepticism? Because I tried to temporarily install a Dynamik in a Radikal and it didn't work. The connectors appeared to be the same and the LED on the main board came on but the LP12 motor would not start up. Since the Radikal uses a version of the same mini-line power supply used in the Majik Kontrol and Majik CD it doesn't appear this will just be an easy fit it and it works proposition.

In addition, Linn specifically said in the original Dynamik upgrade materials that the Majik CD and Majik Kontrol were not upgradeable. Since then there has been no communication from them to reverse this and there are no instructions on the dealer website for either model. Since the Dynamik is a larger power supply than the mini-line and since it also attaches differently to the metalwork inside the unit I don't expect fitting one to be a simple swap out as it normally is.

Let us know how this all works out.

Hmmm, I guess the plot thickens - eh :?:
Tony Tune-age
k_numigl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by k_numigl »

Perhaps you are not aware that similar issues have been discussed with
respect to the Exotic pre amp without a digital board. Linn does not
supply a Dynamik for it. Although voltages and connectors both do fit.
The reason is, that when switched off (hardware switch), the pre amp
forgets the user programmed entrances (sometimes, not all times). It
is clear, that such a loss of functionality can't be tolerated by the
manufacturer (and they won't rework the power supply). It is a different
question, whether I might be able to live with that.....

I mention this only to illustrate that there might be more problems
than just correct voltages.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Perhaps there will soon be a replacement for the Majik preamplifier, which will sound better and not cost two or three times as much... 8)
Tony Tune-age
xanlin

Post by xanlin »

I am picking up this thread again.
So, has anyone succeeded to upgrade a Majik Kontrol or Majik CD with
Dynamik?
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

It would be interesting to find out if anything happened with this - I note Steen never did follow up on it.
Steen

Post by Steen »

Hi
Sadly there was nothing to follow up on. The postage from UK to Norway (outside the EU) was an incredible £140. I therefore never found out if the salesman was correct.
Regards
Steen
AndersB

Post by AndersB »

Steen wrote:Hi
Sadly there was nothing to follow up on. The postage from UK to Norway (outside the EU) was an incredible £140. I therefore never found out if the salesman was correct.
Regards
Steen
Could you perhaps use the same new dynamic powersupply as the one used in Radikal?

Anders
MAIN: LP12 w. Ekos, Adikt, Circus, Radikal | Majik-I | Majik-DS | Majik 140 ||
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I suspect that will work. And that the Majik CD will sound a LOT better.
paolo

Post by paolo »

I'll try it within a couple of weeks and report on the forum

Paolo
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

paolo wrote:I'll try it within a couple of weeks and report on the forum

Paolo
Great! I'd try it here but I don't have a MCD or MK on which to experiment.