Cara 7

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

SaltyDog
Very active member
Very active member

Cara 7

Post by SaltyDog »

Cara 7 has just been released. It is a very musical version. One of the things that ha been mentioned as a good indicator of TuneDem is the ability to pickup on the ascending or descending notes. This is one of the things I'm noticing in my early listening. This version is musical and interesting on the KDS/D-F. :lol:
Nicolav

Post by Nicolav »

I think 4.3.2 is still more musical, although Cara 7 have some good quality over Cara 6 ie more timing integration and flow.
LP12/RadikalM/Keel/Ekos SE1/Ekstatik/Urika II/Klimax System Hub/Klimax Exaktbox's/10 Solos/A242
monkeydevil

Post by monkeydevil »

Nicolav wrote:I think 4.3.2 is still more musical, although Cara 7 have some good quality over Cara 6 ie more timing integration and flow.
Do you have any opnion as to how cara 7 sounds compared to cara 6.7 beta?

Does anyone have a copy of 3.4.2 for ADS? I somehow missed to get that one.
SaltyDog
Very active member
Very active member

Post by SaltyDog »

I think Cara 7 is better than 3.6.7 on the KDS. I think this is as good as anything yet. I'm really enjoying it. It's more foot dancing than foot tapping.
Nicolav

Post by Nicolav »

SaltyDog wrote:I think Cara 7 is better than 3.6.7 on the KDS. I think this is as good as anything yet. I'm really enjoying it. It's more foot dancing than foot tapping.
Yes agree, but 3.4.2 is still more tuneful, althoug less impressive, than Cara 7. In my system obviously... :wink:
SaltyDog can you have the chance to try Cara 3.4.2 and tune dem it against Cara 7 on your system? I'd love to know your impression...
LP12/RadikalM/Keel/Ekos SE1/Ekstatik/Urika II/Klimax System Hub/Klimax Exaktbox's/10 Solos/A242
SaltyDog
Very active member
Very active member

Post by SaltyDog »

I did compare 3.4.2, 3.1.25, and 3.6.7 quite extensively. I found that 3.4.2 was fatiguing in my system. 3.1.25 was very musical but I found it sounded like it was at a distance from me. 3.6.7 was the best of the three to my ears.

Some folks on the Linn forum did some comparisons and there was a consensus that 3.4.2 was the better version on ADS. More preference for 3.6.7 on KDS there as far as I picked up.

I am running completely balanced connectors throughout my system. I know one other person with fully balanced KK KDS Active Speakers with built in amps that has very similar findings to mine. I think we both felt that 3.4.2 would require adjusting speaker placement. I chose not to make that move as I was satisfied with my choice of 3.6.7. I don't recall if he tried moving his speakers. I don't think he did.

I don't know others with KDS that preferred 3.4.2. Do you run balanced or unbalanced? Have you messed about with speaker positioning with your comparisons? I would think that if I positioned my speakers to 3.4.2 that I'd have a problem on 3.6.7 and would extrapolate that to 7 too. If and when I find 7 looses my interest I'll give 3.4.2 another try. I'm more reluctant to moving my speakers than changing firmware. I'm really getting involved with the music in 7. The running up and down the scales is the best I've ever heard on a HiFi. The presentation is up close and personal. Tune is spot on.

It would be nice to be able to hear each other's systems. I don't know anyone within 500 miles of me with a KDS, including dealers.

Anyone interested and in the area look me up.
paolo

Post by paolo »

I'm with Nicolav here, I decidedly prefer Cara 3.4.2 above any version of Cara 6 (KDS/D-KK1/D-2200/D-K350P). Still haven't ried Cara 7 though.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Did I just download cara 9? :?
paolo

Post by paolo »

Azazello wrote:Did I just download cara 9? :?
Installed Cara 9 on KDS yesterday.....well I don't like it at all :(
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

paolo wrote:
Azazello wrote:Did I just download cara 9? :?
Installed Cara 9 on KDS yesterday.....well I don't like it at all :(
No? :shock: Then I really need to get in to this sofware business as well... :cry:

Cara 9 is clearly MUCH better than the previous software on my Sneaky. Unfortunately I don't know what what on it...
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

There are a fair number of people on the Linn forum who have also brought up the different sound of different software versions and there does seem to be a statistically valid tendency for people to prefer the same software versions. Although there might be some slight differences among posters as to which is the best among the top two choices most seem to agree which are the better two or three and which are the worse. It seems that 3.4.2 beta and 3.6.7 beta are generally the preferred versions although 3.7.3 has been found best by others like Salty Dog. It also seems that the best software on one DS might not be the best on other DS units. See this recent thread for some on this:

http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=7563

Linn does have a page where all the released versions of software can be downloaded here:

http://products.linn.co.uk/VersionInfo/ ... /Releases/

Unfortunately, although there is a Beta directory there as well it appears all beta versions are dumped as soon as a new released version ships. This makes it very hard for anyone who didn't download the beta version to get a copy if they wish to use it.

With this in mind I wonder if anyone on this forum would be willing to download all beta versions for the different DS units as they are released and create a page where they can be downloaded from? It would certainly be a great service to DS owners. Unfortunately, with starting up my new business I really don't have time to do this, and I'm not 100% sure it is legal to do it, but it sure would be helpful.

While still on the subject of the difficulty of getting these update betas, if anyone can send me the files for 3.4.2 and 3.6.7 on the Majik DS I'd really appreciate it. I asked his before but it seems like you have to have an AKDS or KDS to be part of the club for trading software versions! :( Maybe I'll be lucky and 3.7.3 will turn out to be the best - at least I have access to that.

It is rather surprising after all this anecdotal evidence from a number of their best customers that Linn still deny any musical changes form most of these different versions. It does lessen one's faith in the digital/software engineers somewhat. But it just gives me more incentive to spend more time with my beloved LP12 (as if I needed any). :)
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

First of all, I haven't tried 3.4.2 or anything newer than 3.6.7, but will try to do so tomorrow and report. (I must confess that I'm sick of trying firmware versions, and after listening to 3.6.7 I never felt the urge to do so, but will give them a short try anyway.)
ThomasOK wrote:Unfortunately, although there is a Beta directory there as well it appears all beta versions are dumped as soon as a new released version ships. This makes it very hard for anyone who didn't download the beta version to get a copy if they wish to use it.
I have nearly every version for the Sneaky DS and Klimax DS. There are just some Beta and Developer versions 3.1.x missing since the development from Linn was too fast for me these days to download all of them. (I don't know if I'm allowed to give the Development versions away, but they are IMHO not of interest for non-developers anyway.)

(I'm sorry, no Majik DS versions here.)
With this in mind I wonder if anyone on this forum would be willing to download all beta versions for the different DS units as they are released and create a page where they can be downloaded from? It would certainly be a great service to DS owners.
Yes, I agree.
and I'm not 100% sure it is legal to do it
That's one reason why I do not offer my firmware versions on my web page. (Just drop me a PM or e-mail to get one.) Another one is that my web space has only limited file bandwidth. It's just enough for Leia and would need an upgrade for offering firmware versions additionally.
It is rather surprising after all this anecdotal evidence from a number of their best customers that Linn still deny any musical changes form most of these different versions. It does lessen one's faith in the digital/software engineers somewhat.
It's a mystery for me, too. Even when they do extremely minor changes the tune will change, too. The change from version 3.6.7 to 3.6.8 is a good example for this: They only changed a return value from "true" to "1" to make Songbook work again. But 3.6.8 is significant less tuneful than 3.6.7, at least on my Sneaky DS.