A.C. Conditioners, Filters & Generators

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

A.C. Conditioners, Filters & Generators

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Are many people using some type of an A.C. power device, on their audio systems (i.e., conditioner, filter, generator)? If so, which type and why?
Tony Tune-age
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I tried a bunch of them in the past, none were any good.

I wouldn't mind using one if it actually made the system sound better, but so far I haven't come across, or even heard about, one that does.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

According to various companies (i.e., Furman, Monster, P.S. Audio, Shunyata, etc.) it ultimately depends on the quality of electricity being supplied to the outlet. And if there isn't a problem with the electricity, such devices might not provide a benefit. But I'm curious how anybody would know if their electricity does have issues :?:
Tony Tune-age
Urs

Post by Urs »

In addition to the quality of the electrical power supply, also the type (brand ??) of equipment used is important.
NAIM for instance always claimed, that due to the nature of the power supply units of NAIM, any additional filters have a negative impact on the musical performance.
(Exception may be extremely contaminated / bad power grids)

I admit, that I have no "comparative" experience with LINN, in this respect. I do however use a NAIM-Type power distribution system including power cords - the Power IGEL from the NAIM agent in Germany - for my active LINN speakers (as for the rest of my HIFI) , but without filters or the like.

regards

Urs
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

There are not enough electircal wall outlets for my front end components, so I'm using a passive filtered surge protector unit with ten outlets, made by PS Audio. It has cleaned-up the musical signals, without any negative results.
Tony Tune-age
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Tony, have you compared this to a cheap non-filtered 10-way block? My guess is that it will be a lot better. Quite often the 10-way blocks have a switch, which should preferably be bypassed internally. Especially if it's illuminated.

All the filtered blocks I've tried have sounded damped, reducing the energy level in the music. This might work to conceal problems with the system, but nothing else.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

lejonklou wrote:Tony, have you compared this to a cheap non-filtered 10-way block? My guess is that it will be a lot better. Quite often the 10-way blocks have a switch, which should preferably be bypassed internally. Especially if it's illuminated.

All the filtered blocks I've tried have sounded damped, reducing the energy level in the music. This might work to conceal problems with the system, but nothing else.
Because my wall only had one electrical outlet, I needed more for all of the front end components. Initially I used a passive Monster unit, and there was a reasonable improvement compared to using extension cords and attachable outlet boxes. It didn't take anything away from the music (essentially neutral). But the PS Audio unit has better protection and has an improved sound (although not huge) over the Monster. Ultimately, I'll have an electrician install a series of electircal outlets directly wired to the fuse box, and I won't need such devices 8) .
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Tony Tune-age wrote:
lejonklou wrote:Tony, have you compared this to a cheap non-filtered 10-way block? My guess is that it will be a lot better. Quite often the 10-way blocks have a switch, which should preferably be bypassed internally. Especially if it's illuminated.

Because my wall only had one electrical outlet, I needed more for all of the front end components. Initially I used a passive Monster unit, and there was a reasonable improvement compared to using extension cords and attachable outlet boxes. It didn't take anything away from the music (essentially neutral). But the PS Audio unit has better protection and has an improved sound (although not huge) over the Monster. Ultimately, I'll have an electrician install a series of electircal outlets directly wired to the fuse box, and I won't need such devices 8) .
Actually, that's why I posted the thread regarding A.C. conditioners, filters and generators...to get basic feedback 8) .
Tony Tune-age
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Ok, I see. I'd really recommend trying a common, cheap 10-way block if you can find one. Not from any audio company and avoid those with a sophisticated appearance. As cheap and simple as possible, preferably with no switch (or bypass it internally) and as few connections inside as possible.

The best ones I've found look like this: Power cord crimped inside a moulded plug. In the other end the cable is crimped to long metal strips that run through the entire block (not many pieces riveted together or short cables in between each outlet). The exterior made of two large pieces of plastic, screwed together.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

lejonklou wrote:Ok, I see. I'd really recommend trying a common, cheap 10-way block if you can find one. Not from any audio company and avoid those with a sophisticated appearance. As cheap and simple as possible, preferably with no switch (or bypass it internally) and as few connections inside as possible.

The best ones I've found look like this: Power cord crimped inside a moulded plug. In the other end the cable is crimped to long metal strips that run through the entire block (not many pieces riveted together or short cables in between each outlet). The exterior made of two large pieces of plastic, screwed together.
Are there any companies in particular that I should look for... :?:
Tony Tune-age
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

Tony Tune-age wrote: Are there any companies in particular that I should look for... :?:
Wiremold L10320. Around $34.00 here:

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/produc ... KU=5339218

Naim Audio recommends it because there is not current limiting circuitry or switches and receptacles have outstanding grip and contact surface. I use one of these in my Linn system and another in my bedroom's Naim system.
Vic
Ivor's "Tune-Method Seminar" Alumni
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

vicdiaz wrote:
Tony Tune-age wrote: Are there any companies in particular that I should look for... :?:

Naim Audio recommends it because there is not current limiting circuitry or switches and receptacles have outstanding grip and contact surface. I use one of these in my Linn system and another in my bedroom's Naim system.
Thanks for the link Vicdiaz... :!:
Tony Tune-age
SaltyDog
Very active member
Very active member

Post by SaltyDog »

I've only got a single outlet for my Hi-Fi. I have been using the same block as Vic. It was recommended by local Linn dealer at the time.

Just recently upgraded (definitely an upgrade) to ATC SCM50ASL Towers which have all the amplification and crossovers in the speakers. This means that the speakers need to be plugged in. The speakers power cords are too short to reach the wiremold block. So I have confiscated a heavy power cord with sockets spaced along the length from the Christmas decoration supplies. This cord is heavy and well made. It is plugged into the wiremold. Now there are only three plugs into the wire mold.

At some time I plan to TuneDem the cord ahead of the wiremold and will report my findings.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

SaltyDog wrote:I've only got a single outlet for my Hi-Fi. I have been using the same block as Vic. It was recommended by local Linn dealer at the time.
Sounds good... 8)
Tony Tune-age
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

vicdiaz wrote:

This is a very good strip for not much money and is one I used for a while. It is certainly an inexpensive way to find out whether your surge protector is messing up the music (as the vast majority do). If it isn't better than your PS Audio unit you still have a good multi-outlet strip for other uses.

I have found one power strip that I find to be superior to the Wiremold by a reasonable margin. It is the Revelation from Cable Pro.

http://www.thecablepro.com/revelation-3 ... lepro.html

This unit is significantly more expensive at $350. You can buy it direct but they are also sold through dealers so you may find someone local who can let you demo it (I am a dealer for them as well). This is what I use on my system and it is the best power distribution device I have heard. It has 8 outlets that are a higher grade than those in the Wiremold and has a very good internal wiring setup. It also has an IEC connector on it so that you can use your own power cable with it (it sounds better with a Linn AC cable than with the supplied one). They also make a special version of it specifically for Naim equipment that has a different internal wiring scheme and a permanently attached power cable. I have compared this to the Revelation and felt it was distinctly inferior in my system.

I also previously posted a bit about the power strips here:

http://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtopi ... c&start=25

If you are looking for the best performance in your system and find that the Wiremold makes an improvement I feel the Revelation would be the next step up.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Thanks for the additional information Thomas :!: I'll check out both of the links :!: This forum provides good information in a variety of areas, and much of it is based on legitimate experience 8) . Thanks to everybody for sharing their knowledge :!:
Tony Tune-age