Linn KDSM/1 upgraded to organik,what to do with the old p.c.b

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

wonky1969

Linn KDSM/1 upgraded to organik,what to do with the old p.c.b

Post by wonky1969 »

Hi all,

Back in January I had my KDSM/1 upgraded to organik dac,when I got it back from the supplying Linn dealer,I asked for the old p.c.b back, which they did,as I had a need for a renew type dsm in my second system,I posted on the Linn forum if this could be done,and was flatly told no,it can't be re-used.

So I thought I would ask the same question here,does anyone know of anyone able to fit the old p.c.b into a plain case,no display is needed,and no ir receiver either,just a power switch and suitable p.s.u.
It would be used on the same network as the upgraded dsm,but never at the same time.

I was told Linn no longer offer the renew upgrade as it apparently hurt sales of new units.

But in these times of climate crisis,it seems such a waste of a perfectly good unit,which until I had it upgraded,I was quite happy with it.

I'm hoping someone here might be able to help,as this forum has always seemed to be helpful with thinking outside the box.

Any thoughts gratefully received.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Linn KDSM/1 upgraded to organik,what to do with the old p.c.b

Post by Defender »

I only know that Linn is/was very strict not giving back the old pcb - only with a renew … where you actually pay a lot for an empty case with a power supply (but obviously with a high resale value). I dont know if they now give it away or if you just have been lucky.
Isnt it just a power supply and a case you are missing?
The power supply is available as spare part in the service price list.

Maybe they do something to the mac address to make you unable to use it - but why not ask your dealer who was not hesitant to give it to you.
wonky1969

Post by wonky1969 »

I did actually ask the supplying Linn dealer about that,they just said no,and the few answers I got from the Linn forum said the same, without giving a detailed reason as to why it can't be done, strange, even if the Mac address is changed, surely it could be reprogrammed to work again,as it worked flawlessly before the organik upgrade
Ianw

Post by Ianw »

AFAIK, when a new board is allocated to a DS or DSM etc, the board serial number is recorded and electronically checked for validity when the device is powered up.

In the situation of a Renew the original board is allocated as a valid Re ds board and is permitted to be used asa Renew.

In the situation of an Organik upgrade , there is no Renew option so the original board and all variants including Katalyst are NOT allocated a valid number and cannot be used.

Also the Renew option has stopped on introduction of Organik so it’s not possible to have a Katalyst Renew.

I may not have all the details correct. It I think this is the basic explanation.
wonky1969

Post by wonky1969 »

Thanks for the explanation Ianw,much appreciated.
It does seem a shame that a board that's mine,and worked fine before upgrade is now useless, especially as I am in need of a ds in my second system.
Now need to save some money for a streamer, perhaps a Akurate ds3,once the prices reduce a little more,so I can enjoy my tundra mono's again.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

I feel with you and yes I think it is a shame.