Unidisk SC and firmware

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

ahaa

Unidisk SC and firmware

Post by ahaa »

My retailer told me that Linn had released a new firmware for SC in January this year. Does anybody have experience with this version? Something to switch to? My current version must be approximately 2 years old
ahaa

Post by ahaa »

Since I did not get any feedback on this post, I decided to try the upgrade a couple of weeks ago - and regret it. I'm pretty convinced that I lost something. Maybe more HiFi, but less music. The new firmware I got was ESS 231, H8S 223 and MECH 03.04.02.00. I presume that it is the ESS that might affect the sound so I have tried to get my original ESS 224 back, but my retailer does not have it anymore.
Anybody out there who can help me out with a copy of ESS 224, or give advice on how to obtain it?

Another question: Since upgrading to Dynamik I have to readjust volume for surround levels every time I turn the SC off with the power switch. Any solutions to this? (The volume settings must also be set 10 points higher than pre-Dynamik to obtain the same listening volume...)
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

unidisk sc

Post by anthony »

There must be a problem, it should not alter volume level!
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

ahaa wrote:I have tried to get my original ESS 224 back, but my retailer does not have it anymore.
If no one here has it then you could try the Linn Helpline. I've always found them very good although I've never requested software before.
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

ahaa wrote:Another question: Since upgrading to Dynamik I have to readjust volume for surround levels every time I turn the SC off with the power switch. Any solutions to this? (The volume settings must also be set 10 points higher than pre-Dynamik to obtain the same listening volume...)
Are you sure you are actually saving the settings?

'troll
ahaa

Post by ahaa »

I'm not selecting any "save" button, so this might be it!
In the set up menu I select "test tone" and do the calibration settings. From there I just navigate backwards out of the set up menu. Am I missing a "save" option here?
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

In the speaker setup menu press the centre (select) button on the remote to save your settings for each speaker.

'troll
ahaa

Post by ahaa »

I have now tried to follow your advice, Troll, and all other possibilities to press the 'select' button that I can imagine - but the speaker volume settings are still lost when I switch the SC off with the switch. All other settings (for instance 'raw') are saved. Strange. Thanks anyway!

My retailer now reports that they have obtained ESS 224 from Linn, so I will try a "backgrading"next week.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Nice to hear that Linn do supply the older firmwares, I haven't heard of that before.

I remember trying different versions on the SC and believe the last of them was 224. I never evaluated anything higher than that, but remember 224 as good sounding. This was different from the 1.1, which peaked at 221 and then just got worse.
ahaa

Post by ahaa »

I have now had my "back grade" to ESS 224 for some weeks and I clearly find it better sounding than 331. In my opinion much of the benefit from the Dynamik upgrade was lost with the new firmware installed compared to the old. Only the ESS was replaced, but that has not caused any problems so far.

I must admit that I even think this firmware change affected the sound of the preamp in the SC. Can this actually be true, or did I with this claim just prove that I'm into psycoacoustic babble?