Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Subwoofer

Post by Hermann »

Hello
My consideration is actually going in the direction of a subwoofer. First a question about how to connect it to the Sagatun monos. Apparently it is possible to run the signals from the pre to the subwoofer and from there to the Tundra. Does that make sense?

The current choices are a JL Audio E112 and an ATC C1 Sub Mk II. Both are affordable and could clarify the bass range. In fact, I have to admit, sometimes I miss bass and there are no other possibilities to change the acoustics of the room.

Experiences and hints are very welcome.
Trust your ears
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Subwoofer

Post by lejonklou »

It is absolutely necessary that you can try the subwoofer before buying it. Adding a sub is really difficult. It needs to work well with the room and it needs to have a character similar to your main speakers in order for the result to be satisfactory.

I would probably route the signal first to Tundra and from there to the sub.
Chet

Post by Chet »

I can concur that trying to add subs to quality speakers is very tricky.

Even expensive subs I tried (which I still have - use for for movies) with my Linn 350s added some extra dimension but also took something away from the finesse of the sound. It's all about timing I concluded and the difference in timing was on balance resulted in a slightly worse sound.

I also tried subs with my 242s (although these subs were not as good quality as my current Rel 212's), but timing again was just off, so better without.
LP12 > CD12 > KK1 > Twins >350's Activ
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Hello Fredrik and Chet,
thank you very much for your comments. But first I would like to apologize for the late reply. Unfortunately a longer hospital stay prevented this. Not only that, but any lifting is not recommended for a few months, so that puts the project in the distant future.

So I'm doing what's most fun and just listening to good music.
Trust your ears
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

I wish you all the best to recover speedy and full.
You know sometimes in life life is choosing for you. Maybe you end up with an even better solution.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Sorry to hear about the hospital stay. Those are never fun. I hope you recover quickly and fully.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Good to hear that you are out of the hospital, Hermann! I hope you’ll recover quickly.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thank you very much for the kind wishes. It will be again, I'm sure, because one thing I never let out of sight. After too long music abstinence it was really exalting feeling to flip the little switch of the Sagatuns, put on a record, start the LP12 and internalize the first beats. I can hardly describe the impression. But in this moment it became clear to me once again what emotional effect music itself is capable of causing. Kari Bremnes' pure emotion, goosebumps side after side, a deep insight into the genius of an artist who shares it with us. This and other artists are balm for the soul and that is of particular importance on the road to recovery.

Somehow the path to this musical delight came to mind and I smiled at both sides of decisions that led me to this point. Likewise, it showed me how valuable is the experience of music lovers whose focus is looking into the music. Their part (and I'm sure they know who I mean) cannot be overstated.

I know I am drifting a bit, but I think some music lovers can relate to this.
Trust your ears
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

yeah I can subscribe to that - I came here as kind of an enemy at the time when the Linn Forum was going down. I never looked back - soo much development and improvement of my music experience in 3-4 years which I didnt had all 30years before and I would still walk that way - so thank you Linn!

But much more thanx go to Fredrik for his wonderful products and the open sharing of his experience as well as Thomas, Beck and lately Jajo and all the others which I can’t name all.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

My tunedem skills are poor to middling, and thus my system may be "wrong", my Exakt sub box seemed to make quick and easy work of setting up my sub.
AEDSM,Akurate Exaktbox-i Kat,Akudoriks,K600
Netgear108T,QNAP TS451+,BJC CAT6a
Majik 126,Exakt subbox