Optimizing your DS

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Optimizing your DS

Post by lejonklou »

Defender wrote:I wanted to give you feedback on moving the NAS and switch to the same dedicated music system power supply cable instead of having them at a different cable.
I also tried to not daisy chain them.

Putting them on the first socket with another power block and at the same time moving Pre, DS and Amp one socket down in the line didn’t really improved things.
Maybe the Pre and the DS like their position in the power distribution too much or the other cable/power block needed more run in.
So I switched back to daisy chain. What I found out was that my Friwo power Supply to the switch GS108T seem to be influenced from at what power pin it gets the power.
One direction less musical and less tuneful the other direction much more fun.
I have no explanation to that - there is no ground involved and the Friwo is a switched mode power supply so I thought there can’t be a difference?

Am I am hearing the grass grow? I am confused! Anyone experienced the same?
Apologies!

I assumed you'd already done the "mains phase tuning" so I didn't think of mentioning it. It can cause confusion if left unchecked and being accidentally changed, because on many units that difference is bigger than which position the unit has in the strip.

There's no need for a ground to have the mains phase cause a difference. The SMPS circuit fed by live and neutral is rarely symmetrical.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote:
Defender wrote:I wanted to give you feedback on moving the NAS and switch to the same dedicated music system power supply cable instead of having them at a different cable.
I also tried to not daisy chain them.

Putting them on the first socket with another power block and at the same time moving Pre, DS and Amp one socket down in the line didn’t really improved things.
Maybe the Pre and the DS like their position in the power distribution too much or the other cable/power block needed more run in.
So I switched back to daisy chain. What I found out was that my Friwo power Supply to the switch GS108T seem to be influenced from at what power pin it gets the power.
One direction less musical and less tuneful the other direction much more fun.
I have no explanation to that - there is no ground involved and the Friwo is a switched mode power supply so I thought there can’t be a difference?

Am I am hearing the grass grow? I am confused! Anyone experienced the same?
Apologies!

I assumed you'd already done the "mains phase tuning" so I didn't think of mentioning it. It can cause confusion if left unchecked and being accidentally changed, because on many units that difference is bigger than which position the unit has in the strip.

There's no need for a ground to have the mains phase cause a difference. The SMPS circuit fed by live and neutral is rarely symmetrical.
I would try this mod as well:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/foru ... grounding/

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

Thank you for all those recommendations - I get the feeling with streaming there are more options to screw things up ending up with less musicality.

Or to put it positive many things that can improve the sound.
Seems I also have to check phase on the power supply of my NAS which is also a FRIWO.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Defender wrote:Or to put it positive many things that can improve the sound.
Seems I also have to check phase on the power supply of my NAS which is also a FRIWO.
I have been thinking about getting one for my QNAP for quite a while. Would you recommend it?
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

Actually I did buy it to minimise influences to my system as Bri stated many SMPS radiate. He also told me it’s not so much of an issue with the „brick“ type SMPS but I try to be on the safe side and for 80 Euro it is a no brainier for me. And my original one did a high frequency whistling in the kHz region.

Saying this it’s not that I noticed an improvement soundwise. But at the time I integrated it I had other evaluation methods for sound quality. So maybe I missed something tune dem wise.
All in all it gave me better sleep at night not having to think of possible non addressed issues ;)

Will check phase influence when I have more time.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

did someone checked out with Tune Dem at which pin of the power socket live/L1 should be connected for an Akurate DS?
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Defender wrote:did someone checked out with Tune Dem at which pin of the power socket live/L1 should be connected for an Akurate DS?
Apparently it varies these days
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

in my case the hot/L1 needs to go onto the top pin
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

https://www.lejonklou.com/wp-content/up ... cords1.pdf
This is how my units sound best. It requires you to measure the voltage at the connector end of the power cord.

With most manufacturers, the pin at the plug end of the power cord is consistent. But occasionally they mix up phase and neutral, I'd estimate in around 1% of the cords.

In the past, the above also applied to most British HiFi.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

this is the way I found out my house seems to be wired wrong as when I use angled power cords I have to put them into the outlet with the cable facing up to have the live wire as you recommend.

Thank you very much for the reassurance.

seems the „correct“ wall outlet configuration is live/L1 on the right and this correlates with US and UK as they cant change direction of the power cable.