Analogue man tries to master Spotify

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Analogue man tries to master Spotify

Post by David Neel »

One of the reasons I gave up streaming after a brief trial of Tidal some years ago is that I like to listen to albums rather than tracks. All my digital listening so far has been to CD or CD ripped to LSNAS, where I can select an album to play, and rely on it playing in the correct sequence, followed by silence when it finishes.

So I now have a trial of Spotify Premium, in anticipation of a Källa future. I've got Spotify on my iPad mini 6, and Spotify client installed on the Hakai. Initial impressions are that it has a user interface which is seriously deficient compared with Kazoo or BubbleDS, probably because it's trying to do stuff that they don't.

I think I've managed to eliminate shuffle play (I want to listen to albums as the artist has sequenced them) but I cannot work out how to stop Spotify from playing random tracks without my permission after an album is finished. Thank you, Spotify, for banishing silence, but actually that's what I want unless I have actively chosen something. Autoplay is turned off, but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

Can anybody help me regain my sanity and stop this nonsense? The Spotify forum seems to have no answer...
Last edited by David Neel on 2021-11-27 22:47, edited 1 time in total.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Analogue man tries to master Spotify

Post by Defender »

Ha I had the same problem with spotify- whenever I hit play it started a random song from the album.
So the solution was to search for an album it than shows the title list - hit the first song and they are starting in the right order.
Than you have the choice to use random play or continuous play for the album or for a song. Continuous play for a song shows the sign for continuous play with a 1
if you hold the Ipad in landscape mode you have a big screen with the album and album titles and the green play or stop button
but if you hit the smaller sceen on the left it opens another different screen which let you choose random play and continuous play … if you hit continuous play often enough (2x) it grays out so I think that in this mode the music stops after the album played
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

DF916769-5227-44D4-95C0-A116C0D278B2.png
Landscape Mode
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

6A0A6E4C-56D1-428B-A9C4-486C133E5B6F.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

I have no experiience with the Spotify iOS app but with the MacOS app you go to the preferences and select the settings that fit for you.
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

David Neel wrote: 2021-11-27 18:24 .. I cannot work out how to stop Spotify from playing random tracks without my permission after an album is finished...

Can anybody help me regain my sanity and stop this nonsense? The Spotify forum seems to have no answer...
If Autoplay is off, it may be how you are selecting the album - it should work if you select the album only, making sure it's not part of a wider set of search results. Album only should stop after the last track; if the album was somehow part of a wider result set, Spotify will keep on playing through all results.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Defender wrote: 2021-11-27 18:42 if you hit continuous play often enough (2x) it grays out so I think that in this mode the music stops after the album played
Thank you. I've done this, and got repeat deselected. At the end of an album, Spotify then immediately plays something else which I have not selected.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

matthias wrote: 2021-11-27 18:56 I have no experiience with the Spotify iOS app but with the MacOS app you go to the preferences and select the settings that fit for you.
Thanks. I've got all the settings like Autoplay switched off.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

tokenbrit wrote: 2021-11-27 19:30 If Autoplay is off, it may be how you are selecting the album - it should work if you select the album only, making sure it's not part of a wider set of search results. Album only should stop after the last track; if the album was somehow part of a wider result set, Spotify will keep on playing through all results.
Thanks tokenbrit, I'm selecting the album either via search, or via my library - I spent a happy time building a library of favourite artists' albums that I haven't got already - is there another way?

Update: I've just selected album from the library, checked that autoplay and repeat are off, and at the end it went straight into a track I hadn't selected and didn't want. This is close to a deal-breaker for me, regardless of how good it sounds.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

David Neel wrote: 2021-11-27 19:51 This is close to a deal-breaker for me, regardless of how good it sounds.
Looked at the Spotify forums again, and this seems to be a long-standing complaint. For me. it's no longer close to being a deal-breaker, it is one.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

David Neel wrote: 2021-11-27 19:51
tokenbrit wrote: 2021-11-27 19:30 If Autoplay is off, it may be how you are selecting the album - it should work if you select the album only, making sure it's not part of a wider set of search results. Album only should stop after the last track; if the album was somehow part of a wider result set, Spotify will keep on playing through all results.
Thanks tokenbrit, I'm selecting the album either via search, or via my library - I spent a happy time building a library of favourite artists' albums that I haven't got already - is there another way?

Update: I've just selected album from the library, checked that autoplay and repeat are off, and at the end it went straight into a track I hadn't selected and didn't want. This is close to a deal-breaker for me, regardless of how good it sounds.
I don't have access to my Hakai at the moment - is it possible that you have a settings file on your Hakai - Spotify client that defaults to Autoplay on and overrides your control point?
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

tokenbrit wrote: 2021-11-27 21:50 I don't have access to my Hakai at the moment - is it possible that you have a settings file on your Hakai - Spotify client that defaults to Autoplay on and overrides your control point?
Thanks! I will check it now... ah, the joys of headless! Playing a test track now, and... success. I now have wonderful silence!

Yes, the client had all the settings options enabled. Now it'll be interesting to see if the sound quality goes up a notch!
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. The issue was driving me mad! Now I can take a deep breath and enjoy music again, knowing there will be silence after what I have specified.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

David Neel wrote: 2021-11-27 22:45 Thank you all for your help and suggestions. The issue was driving me mad! Now I can take a deep breath and enjoy music again, knowing there will be silence after what I have specified.
Brilliant!! Happy listening :)
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Matt

springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

That is very good news. It took me ages to find out how to play albums on the correct order.

I've just checked my app and the album play button now does not shuffle.

Now just need Spotify to ensure that there is always an alternative to the deluxe mixes, or an easy way to play only the original track listing for albums
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

David Neel wrote: 2021-11-27 22:45 Thank you all for your help and suggestions. The issue was driving me mad! Now I can take a deep breath and enjoy music again, knowing there will be silence after what I have specified.
Some Hard Drive you drove as a Vinyl Rambler, David! Happy Listening now!
Lenco 76/S TJN, Dr. Fuss, Supernait2, CD5X, Slipsik7.1, Millon Phantom, Soundeck, AudioSensibility
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Hi gents,

is there a way to configure the HOME screen of the Spotify desktop app?

I must say I find some of the Spotify suggestions (particularly the podcast ones which I never use) extremely annoying.

Thx
Matt

matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

matthias wrote: 2022-09-07 09:07 is there a way to configure the HOME screen of the Spotify desktop app?
I must say I find some of the Spotify suggestions (particularly the podcast ones which I never use) extremely annoying.
After searching the internet there seems not to exist a solution, so I cancelled my Spotify subscription.
Matt

John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

I play entire albums on Spotify quite a bit and always look forward to what Spotify Ai throws at me music wise at the end of the album. I’ve been turned onto some great new artists as a result. It generally plays several songs and I usually let it go until silence occurs.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

This is nice but Spotify should allow their customers to configure their own home screen.
It is really embarrassing what Spotify show under "good morning / good afternoon / good evening" .
For example I do not want to see any podcasts in this section on the home screen.
They advertise that the premium subscription is adverts free but promote their own podcasts.
Matt