Linn Classik Movie Di

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

Donald

Linn Classik Movie Di

Post by Donald »

Currently trying to restore a Linn Classik Movie Di which was completely DOA! The SMPS is the chief suspect.

I know its a long shot but I don't suppose anyone has a circuit diagram/schematic for this or just for the Brilliant SMPS?

Meantime does anyone know how to to separate the PCB from the metal enclosure? I'm assuming its some form of glue but don't want to force it!

Any information, comments or feedback would be welcome.

PM me if that is more appropriate.

SMPS_1.jpg
SMPS_3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Donald on 2021-08-10 21:47, edited 2 times in total.
LP12/Kore/T2/Akito/Adikt/L4|Akurate DSM|Akurate Exaktbox 10|2 x Akurate 4200/1|Keilidhs
Donald

Re: Linn Classik Movie Di

Post by Donald »

Throw caution to the wind and wiggled about with a wooden spudger and the PCB eventually came away from the metal enclosure/sleeve.

The problem was the two sticky pads holding it in place:-

SMPS Metal Enclosure_1.jpg

Scorching is clearly visible which will help in identifying the affected components.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Donald on 2021-08-10 21:48, edited 1 time in total.
LP12/Kore/T2/Akito/Adikt/L4|Akurate DSM|Akurate Exaktbox 10|2 x Akurate 4200/1|Keilidhs
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Linn Classik Media Di

Post by ThomasOK »

I was going to tell you about the sticky pads but impatience won out! I believe there is another similar pad underneath the silver metal heatsink next to the transformer. It looks like you already removed the two screws that hold the heat sink in place. If you have a Linn dealer you work with they might be able to have Linn service send them a schematic for the PS. Linn will usually supply those to dealers for products they no longer service. I don't know if they will do the same for customers.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Donald

Post by Donald »

Thanks Thomas - a bit more detective work this week uncovered four blown MOSFETs and probably a similar story for the Output Diodes! The way that the FETs are configured with the Drains acting as a heat sink through a matrix of connections to the underside of the board make them seemingly impossible to remove and replace. The Drain is connected to the tab which must be conductive and is flow soldered into the PCB for it to act as a heatsink as well as the Drain connection.

There is no chance of Linn supplying a customer with a circuit diagram/schematic for the SMPS, even one that is no longer supported or serviced. Now if there was a friendly Linn dealer able to help then that would be extremely fortunate?

My other possible course of action is to transplant an SMPS from another similar device but that depends on finding a suitable donor?
Last edited by Donald on 2021-08-10 21:48, edited 1 time in total.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Linn Classik Media Di

Post by ThomasOK »

Can you find a part number on the board? It should start with PCAS and then some numbers. I might be able to find something out with that info.
The LP12 Whisperer
Donald

Post by Donald »

Thanks Thomas - the only identifying mark I could find was PCB254/L4 - don't know if that helps?

It's now definitely Game Over in terms of trying to repair this SMPS as the FETs cannot be extracted and replaced. The same seems to be true for the Output Diodes due to the way they have been flow-soldered to the PCB!

My only hope is that I am able to pick up a donor SMPS from a scrap unit or to consider (!) a non-Linn SMPS. Although doing the latter would still depend on having a circuit diagram/schematic with details of the required SMPS output?
Donald

Post by Donald »

So progress with this Linn Classik Movie Di has completely stopped as I am unable to source:-

1. A replacement SMPS
2. A circuit diagram/schematic
3. Details of the outputs from the SMPS to the Amp board?

Can anyone help with any of these options - thanks in advance!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Donald wrote: 2021-08-26 11:30 So progress with this Linn Classik Movie Di has completely stopped as I am unable to source:-

1. A replacement SMPS
2. A circuit diagram/schematic
3. Details of the outputs from the SMPS to the Amp board?

Can anyone help with any of these options - thanks in advance!
Hi Donald,
I headed off for vacation just after my last reply and between that and my very time consuming new puppy I didn't get back to it until I saw your new post. Sorry it slipped through the cracks. PM me your email information and I can send you some info.
The LP12 Whisperer
dasher

Post by dasher »

Hi Donald

The do turn up on eBay as 'spares and repairs' and the usual culprit is the laser (or for the even lazier - the belt). It is therefore worth contacting the vendor and simply asking if it powers up! There is one on there at the moment:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304113261976 ... SwgHVhF4nY

It's not mine! Fortunately when mine packed up it was just the drawer belt.

Good luck
David
Donald

Post by Donald »

Thanks Dasher - unfortunately with the one currently on eBay when you plug it in and switch on, it lights up and then powers itself down. Don't really want another Classik Movie Di with an SMPS problem!
Donald

Post by Donald »

Is there anyone out there that owns a Linn Classik Movie Di that could let me know what the outputs from the SMPS are?

There is a ribbon cable from the SMPS to the Amp board that uses four connections and I have no idea what those supplies are?
xanlin

Post by xanlin »

I suspect that it is the same power supply as in the 5125 and 2250 power amps.

In turn that implies that a power supply from any x100 or x200 amp would work if you sort the problem of them having a different connector.

This can be overcome by changing the cable or reusing the plastic part of the connector from your broken psu.

Hope this helps!
Donald

Post by Donald »

Thanks xanlin

One thing I've learnt about LInn PSUs is that you can never assume!

In the meantime I've acquired a Linn Miniline Universal PSU to play with. Only problem (challenge!) is that this PSU has a ten-pin output adapter while the Classik has a four-pin input adapter - anyone?
Overslept

Post by Overslept »

I'm here for information and advice. I'm doing some research for my own restoration project. It seemed like a great idea at first, but it doesn't seem like it anymore. Did anyone manage to restore a Linn Classik Movie Di successfully? I'm afraid that listening to online opinions only made it worse, and I've only damaged my Linn Classik Movie Di beyond repair. Guess it's time to give up on it, get a free iptv trial, and start watching documentaries about restoring old tech pieces instead of attempting to do so myself and continuing to fail royally, LOL.
Last edited by Overslept on 2022-09-09 13:39, edited 1 time in total.
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

Overslept wrote: 2022-09-06 15:34 I'm here for information and advice.
Welcome to the forum! Is there any particular information and advice you're looking for?