Linn adikt - question and need opinion please

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

audiomonger999

Linn adikt - question and need opinion please

Post by audiomonger999 »

Hi,

I own lp12 basik with an upgraded Lingo 2 PSU.

I am thiniking to either get Linn Adikt or trying The AT-VM95E. How are the two compared?

For linn adikt, will it work on linn basik tonearm, or do I need to upgrade to Itok or even Ekos?

Thanks
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Linn adikt - question and need opinion please

Post by Charlie1 »

I am getting an Adikt fitted to my Valhalla/Ittok deck, replacing K9 body with VM95E/C, so can report back soonish.

Don't know about arm compatibility.
audiomonger999

Post by audiomonger999 »

Thanks Charlie. Eager to know how much better Adikt is better than VM95 and what are the differences....looking foeward to hear back from you...🙏
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

If your budget and other logistics allow it, you may want to consider getting the AT cartridge and putting the remaining funds that would have gone toward an Adikt into a better arm. A VM95 on an Ittok will almost certainly out perform an Adikt on a Basik. I don't know this for certain but the source first hierarchy has consistently demonstrated that a lesser cartridge on a better arm is musically superior to a better cartridge on a lesser arm.
audiomonger999

Post by audiomonger999 »

markiteight wrote: 2021-02-28 05:22 If your budget and other logistics allow it, you may want to consider getting the AT cartridge and putting the remaining funds that would have gone toward an Adikt into a better arm. A VM95 on an Ittok will almost certainly out perform an Adikt on a Basik. I don't know this for certain but the source first hierarchy has consistently demonstrated that a lesser cartridge on a better arm is musically superior to a better cartridge on a lesser arm.

Noted.....thank you🙏
dasher

Post by dasher »

markiteight wrote: 2021-02-28 05:22 If your budget and other logistics allow it, you may want to consider getting the AT cartridge and putting the remaining funds that would have gone toward an Adikt into a better arm. A VM95 on an Ittok will almost certainly out perform an Adikt on a Basik. I don't know this for certain but the source first hierarchy has consistently demonstrated that a lesser cartridge on a better arm is musically superior to a better cartridge on a lesser arm.
I 100% agree with this and have been there with both a basic (Basik +) and an Ittok available together with an Adikt and an AT 95. In fact I've also done the same with a Basik + and an Akito 2 (but on an Axis not an LP12 in this case). I would choose the better arm over the difference between the two cartridges in every one of these combinations. Both are good cartridges and I've had many samples of each. The Adikt works well on an Akito 2- but a good Ittok is a different level completely. I've found it to be true further up the scale also. I put my money into a better arm (Ekos 2) over a Klyde on an Akito 2- and at the time kept the Adikt on the Ekos 2. This one I found a more difficult comparison though as I found the dirt and Clyde to be very different to each other - not 'better' or 'worse' but very different. It is almost cash neutral to sell the Basik, source an Ittok, have it checked refurbished as necessary at Audio Origami and add an AT 95 to it. I say 'almost', and I should qualify this - it is likely less than £200 difference maximum. Whilst you are at it you may wish to evaluate the tone arm cable too - as there is a notable difference between some T-Kables and what may be attached to a Basik (+).

Edit: I stuck to an Ittok as that was what I quoted and that is what I have personal experience of, but it is possible that something like a (Linn compatible) Roksan Nima would deliver at least the same result - it would be both new and less cost too. I haven't personally tried the above with a Nima - but they do sound well (it's just the looks that I don't like)!
audiomonger999

Post by audiomonger999 »

Noted. Thanks for the info.🙏
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

While I agree that an Ittok with a VM95e or c would easily outperform a Basik + with an Adikt, I don't have enough information to give a firm recommendation. For one thing we don't know what bearing you have and for another we don't know what you want to budget for upgrading your LP12. One reason this is important is that the Adikt runs $640US whereas a high-quality Ittok LVII will likely run you about $900 here. Obviously this might be different other places. Another reason is that while the arm is definitely more important than the cartridge, the main bearing is the most important part of all. You don't mention what bearing you have but a Karousel, or at least a Cirkus, bearing would be the first place to put money. A Karousel is $975US and includes the bearing housing, inner platter/spindle, oil, ground wire and suspension parts (springs, grommets, washers and nuts). The Cirkus is not available new but there are many floating around from people who have upgraded to a Karousel. They are likely to run around $350 and include the Cirkus bearing housing and should include the same parts listed above except the nuts and washers. However, you would also need a different subchassis. Again there are occasionally used Cirkus subchassis around and they should be somewhere in the $90 to $150 range (on the higher end if they have a good condition Linn armboard with them). Otherwise you would need a new Linn subchassis and these run $530 for a Majik sub with new armboard or $1200 for a Kore. At our store we include installation or the Karousel in the price but YMMV. On a used Cirkus we would charge installation and would recommend a full setup of the table at the time. Actually, if your LP12 hasn't been setup within the last several years by somebody who is really good at it you should have that done anyway, as it makes a significant musical improvement.

So if you don't have a Cirkus, either get one and a subchassis or get a Karousel (which would also need a subchassis if you don't have a Cirkus or later one). Then buy an AT VM95 and be happy. If you can afford more, or later when you are ready, get an Ittok and sell the Basik +. Hopefully this helps.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
audiomonger999

Post by audiomonger999 »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-03-05 21:04 While I agree that an Ittok with a VM95e or c would easily outperform a Basik + with an Adikt, I don't have enough information to give a firm recommendation. For one thing we don't know what bearing you have and for another we don't know what you want to budget for upgrading your LP12. One reason this is important is that the Adikt runs $640US whereas a high-quality Ittok LVII will likely run you about $900 here. Obviously this might be different other places. Another reason is that while the arm is definitely more important than the cartridge, the main bearing is the most important part of all. You don't mention what bearing you have but a Karousel, or at least a Cirkus, bearing would be the first place to put money. A Karousel is $975US and includes the bearing housing, inner platter/spindle, oil, ground wire and suspension parts (springs, grommets, washers and nuts). The Cirkus is not available new but there are many floating around from people who have upgraded to a Karousel. They are likely to run around $350 and include the Cirkus bearing housing and should include the same parts listed above except the nuts and washers. However, you would also need a different subchassis. Again there are occasionally used Cirkus subchassis around and they should be somewhere in the $90 to $150 range (on the higher end if they have a good condition Linn armboard with them). Otherwise you would need a new Linn subchassis and these run $530 for a Majik sub with new armboard or $1200 for a Kore. At our store we include installation or the Karousel in the price but YMMV. On a used Cirkus we would charge installation and would recommend a full setup of the table at the time. Actually, if your LP12 hasn't been setup within the last several years by somebody who is really good at it you should have that done anyway, as it makes a significant musical improvement.

So if you don't have a Cirkus, either get one and a subchassis or get a Karousel (which would also need a subchassis if you don't have a Cirkus or later one). Then buy an AT VM95 and be happy. If you can afford more, or later when you are ready, get an Ittok and sell the Basik +. Hopefully this helps.

I currently have the cirkus bearing. The LP12 was just recently tuned. Thinking about getting the Ittok first then....thanks for the info Thomas
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

Im in a similar position. Would it not be better to upgrade the Cirkus to Karousel than the Basik plus to Ittok?

Even more so that the Ittok will be old/risky and the Karousel brand spanking new?
LP12, Lingo 3, Cirkus/Kore, Tramp 2, Basik Plus Ania, Linto
Majik Ds, Kisto, Tundra 2.0, Majik 109
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

dasher wrote: 2021-02-28 15:51
I 100% agree with this and have been there with both a basic (Basik +) and an Ittok available together with an Adikt and an AT 95. In fact I've also done the same with a Basik + and an Akito 2 (but on an Axis not an LP12 in this case). I would choose the better arm over the difference between the two cartridges in every one of these combinations. Both are good cartridges and I've had many samples of each. The Adikt works well on an Akito 2- but a good Ittok is a different level completely. I've found it to be true further up the scale also. I put my money into a better arm (Ekos 2) over a Klyde on an Akito 2- and at the time kept the Adikt on the Ekos 2. This one I found a more difficult comparison though as I found the dirt and Clyde to be very different to each other - not 'better' or 'worse' but very different. It is almost cash neutral to sell the Basik, source an Ittok, have it checked refurbished as necessary at Audio Origami and add an AT 95 to it. I say 'almost', and I should qualify this - it is likely less than £200 difference maximum. Whilst you are at it you may wish to evaluate the tone arm cable too - as there is a notable difference between some T-Kables and what may be attached to a Basik (+).

Edit: I stuck to an Ittok as that was what I quoted and that is what I have personal experience of, but it is possible that something like a (Linn compatible) Roksan Nima would deliver at least the same result - it would be both new and less cost too. I haven't personally tried the above with a Nima - but they do sound well (it's just the looks that I don't like)!

In recent research I have found the ittok in uk to be going for £600 plus with the Basik plus around £150. I would love it if I could find that the difference was only £200.
dasher

Post by dasher »

I agree, prices for Ittoks are strong in the UK today - but relatively so is the Basik + . Not long ago mine sold for £95 - today nearer £175. I was working on the VM95e (quoted in the first post) which sells for under £50 in the UK - £380 less that the Adikt. My "£200 ' wasn't the difference between the Basik+ and the Ittok - it was additional amount once the £380 savings had been factored in. I was working on £170 for the Basik +, £380 saved by choosing the AT95 over the Adikt (running total £550), paying £600 for an Ittok and allowing £150 for it to be checked over(and hopefully not needing too much work) at AO. Hence my "£200". If you already have an Adikt, or were never considering an Adikt (as the OP was) then I agree, it doesn't work for you.
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

Damn I was hoping you knew something I didnt!!!

Cheers for clarification Dasher.
dasher

Post by dasher »

Sorry!

If the Roksan Nima was a touch better on the eye then I could have been tempted to give it a go as I'm a fan of unipivots (and an Aro is way to expensive). I very nearly bought an AO Uniarm - and still intended to but at a later date - but unfortunately that boat has now sailed and the Roksan version of the Uniarm is more or less double the price of the original.

The Nima sounds great, I guess could be tricky to set up if you aren't used to unipivots, but the downside for me is that it is ugly (and the Ittok is on Tracey's LP12 not mine - so this is v. important)!

A new Nima is around £600 but they appear used for around £450. (there's more than one version apparently).

I, personally have no issue with the performance of an Ittok - especially an AO rebuilt one. I don't run an Adikt on the one here but an Ortofon 2M Black - suits the Ittok (and Gaia) really well but they are (Adikt and 2M black) quite different in their presentation of the music.
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

Cheers Dasher