Ekos SE/1 cueing

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

nmakowsk

Ekos SE/1 cueing

Post by nmakowsk »

Hello, I just noticed something about my EKOS SE/1 that I had installed at Overture Audio last June. The color of the cueing lever is black and this one I see on LP12bits.com is silver in color. Does anyone know anything about this being a new change? Of course I am wondering if there is any difference in sound quality. This is a great arm that I am having a lot of fun with but I didn't know the lever had been changed. Someone please shed some light on this...

https://lp12bits.com/collections/frontp ... ref-001653
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LP12/Kar/ARad1/Kore/Ekos SE1/NOKTable/Adikt/Slipsik 8.0/Giella Pi 1.2/Tundra Stereo 2.2/1992 Briks
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Ekos SE/1 cueing

Post by Matteo »

nmakowsk

Post by nmakowsk »

Hi Matteo, I have seen this information before although the Krane is new. Nothing that I can see about a change to the cueing lever. According to the LP12 bits site , some folks might call it a Que lever...
LP12/Kar/ARad1/Kore/Ekos SE1/NOKTable/Adikt/Slipsik 8.0/Giella Pi 1.2/Tundra Stereo 2.2/1992 Briks
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

It looks like Matteo shared the link because the image of the SE on Linn's website shows a black cueing arm, not for any textual reference to a colour change...
Their image shows a black support arm too, whereas your sondek pic shows a silver arm with black lever... Curious.
nmakowsk

Post by nmakowsk »

The pic I posted in this is the same exact arm as the LP12 bits link for sale. I just posted the pic in case it was sold and the link would subsequently be taken down. The description says it was manufactured November 2020 so it must be quite new. Mine was made in early June probably. I wonder if Tom O'Keefe knows the story here...

On the Linn website, I cant get any images to display of the arm even with right click show image. Maybe that is my browser, but I have always found their site to not be easy to navigate as I have to scroll down pages and pages after the giant logos at first.
Last edited by nmakowsk on 2020-12-18 16:43, edited 1 time in total.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

tokenbrit wrote: 2020-12-15 19:57 It looks like Matteo shared the link because the image of the SE on Linn's website shows a black cueing arm, not for any textual reference to a colour change...
Their image shows a black support arm too, whereas your sondek pic shows a silver arm with black lever... Curious.
I confirm
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

the picture at the Linn website doesnt show the Ekos SE/1 its an Ekos SE
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Maybe early SE/1s used up the last supply of black SE cueing arms before switching to silver... :? Are they factory fitted or can the arm be purchased as a spare part & swapped, black for silver? (if so, we need clips to decide which is musically superior ;)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

The black sounds darker and the silver sounds brighter. ;-)

Actually, I don't recall having seen the silver cueing device before. I can't check mine as it is on the way back from Scotland but I think it was black and the store is black. Mine is newer being a little over a year old. I did install a relatively new one about a month ago but I don't remember it being silver. I note that all the Ekos SE arms shown in the recent photos have black cueing devices so it is probably a relatively recent change. You can get a new cueing device for $325 if you really want to try for yourself. But the cueing device in the photo above looks to be of the same manufacture as the black one so I wouldn't expect to be different at all.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

there is also a slight chance someone with skills did it as a selfmade design optimization