Klimax-upgraded Artikulat 320a - questions...

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

dvdr

Klimax-upgraded Artikulat 320a - questions...

Post by dvdr »

Hi
Today, my Klimax 320a arrived - they are upgraded Artikulats (which I knew, perfectly fine with me). This little sticker on the back says „upgraded to Klimax 320a“. They also have a Dynamic power supply.

That said: I am a bit confused, since the manual for the Klimax 320a on Linn Docs shows different controls. They show lowest rolloff 30Hz, mine says 50Hz on the appropriate switch. They have a +/- level setting for bass and treble, mine only have a bass + shelf and treble - shelf.
They claim a servo bass, mine ???

So, are the values, my back plate shows, still valid ? Or did they just change electronics and not the backplate and I actually am setting the values that reflect the Klimax 320a manual with my small switches?

In other words: Were these upgrades some sort of „in between Klimaxes“ that are different from the current Klimax 320a?

Thanks for helping to understand this.
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Klimax-upgraded Artikulat 320a - questions...

Post by anthony »

dvdr wrote: 2020-11-26 02:39 Hi
Today, my Klimax 320a arrived - they are upgraded Artikulats (which I knew, perfectly fine with me). This little sticker on the back says „upgraded to Klimax 320a“. They also have a Dynamic power supply.

That said: I am a bit confused, since the manual for the Klimax 320a on Linn Docs shows different controls. They show lowest rolloff 30Hz, mine says 50Hz on the appropriate switch. They have a +/- level setting for bass and treble, mine only have a bass + shelf and treble - shelf.
They claim a servo bass, mine ???

So, are the values, my back plate shows, still valid ? Or did they just change electronics and not the backplate and I actually am setting the values that reflect the Klimax 320a manual with my small switches?

In other words: Were these upgrades some sort of „in between Klimaxes“ that are different from the current Klimax 320a?

Thanks for helping to understand this.
When artikulate 320 or 350 are upgraded, the switch values don't get upgraded, so your values are still valid.
Your speaker will have new power supply, new crossover cards and 3k arrays.
dvdr

Post by dvdr »

Thanks for the clarification!
So: no servo bass in the upgrade - or did the initial Artikulat model already have one?
As for the integration with my two Akurate subs - any experiences on how to limit or not limit any crossover frequencies with subs as a starting point for me?

Personal note: Just listening to René Jacobs‘ and B‘Rocks Orchestra‘s Schubert Symphony 3 recording (Qobuz HiRes stream) - the 320a are singing... So happy already with the results of my upgrade. Right decision :-)
fredrik

Post by fredrik »

Hi The Klimax 320a does not have a separate servo bass driver.
http://small.linncdn.com/product-catalo ... mation.pdf

Hence you don't loose anything substantial going for an upgraded A320a vs K320a.
In my case I use S.O. to control the peeks and my speakers have flat settings.

One life hack would be to upgrade the stands when you have an urge to improve the sound further.
My Linn dealer manufactured "Japan" stands for my K320a, which are lower (3k array height lowered to 242 level) and more rigid. Unless you plan to use K320a as surround speakers with K350, the original stands are a little on the higher side,