Streaming from internet Vs NAS

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Streaming from internet Vs NAS

Post by springwood64 »

Has anyone compared streaming Qobuz or Tidal via Bubbleupnp server on NAS Vs direct?

I read in a thread on the Linn forum that a contributor found internet streamed services suffered variable timing, so I thought it would be interesting to try and use the same NAS for both ripped and streamed music.

When my streamer plays Qobuz it connects to the Qobuz service direct. The data it downloads passes through my BT modem and router, to my Netgear GS108T, and then to mpd on the streamer. There will be buffering of some sort at different nodes on the path that the data takes, but it's plausible that the renderer's timing may in theory be affected by timing behaviour upstream.

Alternatively, I have set up Bubbleupnp Server on my NAS to transcode Qobuz. In this case, mpd is drawing data from the NAS via the Netgear switch, in theory uncoupling the mpd timing from that of nodes upstream from the NAS, though the NAS has to work harder than the upstream nodes, which could affect timing.

I have not tunedem'd the difference yet, but will do so at some point.

Has anyone else done a similar comparison?
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Streaming from internet Vs NAS

Post by matthias »

springwood64 wrote: 2020-09-27 11:15 I read in a thread on the Linn forum that a contributor found internet streamed services suffered variable timing, so I thought it would be interesting to try and use the same NAS for both ripped and streamed music.
Recent listening tests with one of the best servers (Taiko Extreme) showed that music from streaming services like Qobuz and Tidal can sound superior to stored files from a NAS. The requirement is that streamed music is loaded into RAM before playback and the software player is able to reduce or disable network activity after loading the files.

So I do not think that making the detour via the NAS is a good idea. IMO, with a NAS there is always more network activity involved which is not desirable.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

Interesting thoughts Matthias.
I certainly agree that the less network activity there is, is a good thing. (see other thread(s)).

Of course one can do different tests to prove your hypothesis:
1) Plug the internet straight into the streamer. Listen. Then put it all back together.
2) Set up a play list on the streamer, then unplug the link to the router/internet. Listen.
3) Put it all back together. Listen.

Compare and contrast......

Donuk
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

donuk wrote: 2020-09-28 10:56 I certainly agree that the less network activity there is, is a good thing. (see other thread(s)).

Of course one can do different tests to prove your hypothesis:
1) Plug the internet straight into the streamer. Listen. Then put it all back together.
2) Set up a play list on the streamer, then unplug the link to the router/internet. Listen.
3) Put it all back together. Listen.
Network communication seems to be relatively more harmful than CPU and local disk activity right now.
When you have a HQ network (good switches etc. as you have with your Melco) then the difference between network connected and disconnected might not be so big.......

Matt
Matt

springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

Here's some recordings comparing direct vs via NAS with internet disconnected for both.

For each test, I started the video, started the recording and then disconnected the router from the internet (that's the rather loud click you hear).

Disconnecting the router from the internet does not stop a track playing, but it does prevent the next track from starting in the playlist.

This is mpd playing data downloaded direct from Qobuz: https://photos.app.goo.gl/zMnV4uPS1pKkqCf38

This is mpd playing data downloaded from Qobuz via Bubbleupnp Server on the NAS: https://photos.app.goo.gl/nsM7qZGED1g7rvqb7
Pete

matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

springwood64 wrote: 2020-09-28 16:31 Here's some recordings comparing direct vs via NAS with internet disconnected for both.

For each test, I started the video, started the recording and then disconnected the router from the internet (that's the rather loud click you hear).

Disconnecting the router from the internet does not stop a track playing, but it does prevent the next track from starting in the playlist.

This is mpd playing data downloaded direct from Qobuz: https://photos.app.goo.gl/zMnV4uPS1pKkqCf38

This is mpd playing data downloaded from Qobuz via Bubbleupnp Server on the NAS: https://photos.app.goo.gl/nsM7qZGED1g7rvqb7
What does happen when you disconnect your streamer from your router?
Thanks

Matt
Matt

springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

matthias wrote: 2020-09-28 17:02 What does happen when you disconnect your streamer from your router?
Thanks

Matt
The track plays without interruption when I disconnect the streamer from the router.

The implication is that timing of upstream connections is unlikely to be an issue - the streamer must have downloaded the entire track.
Pete

matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

springwood64 wrote: 2020-09-28 17:09 The track plays without interruption when I disconnect the streamer from the router.
Also when you go via NAS?

Matt
Matt

springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

matthias wrote: 2020-09-28 17:16 Also when you go via NAS?
Matt
The streamer plays the whole track when disconnected from the router, provided I start the playback before I disconnect, whether playing from the NAS or direct from Qobuz.
Pete

matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

springwood64 wrote: 2020-09-28 17:17 The streamer plays the whole track when disconnected from the router, provided I start the playback before I disconnect, whether playing from the NAS or direct from Qobuz.
How long is the minimum time between starting playback and disconnection so you can play the whole track?

Matt
Matt

springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

Good question. I haven't explored that. The shortest gap was around 10s. The track I'm testing is around 90s total
Pete

matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

springwood64 wrote: 2020-09-28 17:27 Good question. I haven't explored that. The shortest gap was around 10s. The track I'm testing is around 90s total
In my case I can see when the track of maybe 5 minutes is loaded into RAM (usually a few seconds) and then I switch off the network connection (WiFi).

BTW, I prefer your track direct from Qobuz.

Matt
Matt